Nigeria bans Twitter for deleting a post from the president

Twitter is in an awkward situation. They have to make judgment calls in every country as to what purpose their service serves. They do not always get it right but they are acutely aware that they have a responsibility to the truth that can easily cost lives if they get it wrong.
That's not a awkward situation at all... They should NEVER delete or otherwise remove in anyway a post that their president posts. CERTAINLY if that president is fucking threatening them.
If twitter allowed it's service to be used by evil men for evil purposes how would that be better? The internet is supposed to empower the people not give tyrants the means to oppress.
How do you, or some twitter employee, know what evil is especially as it relates to Nigeria. Is the President bad or worse than successionists, Boko Haram, or Fulani Herdsmen?

Twitter deleted a presidential tweet so the Nigerian government banned Twitter. Twitter then stated it would do whatever it could to circumvent the ban to ensure the people of Nigeria had access.

What VERY FEW media outlets are telling you is why this all occurred. Some are scratching the surface of the details so I will lay it out for you.

BOKO HARAM (A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION) HAS BEEN TWEETING THREATS against the government. They have also been using Twitter to organize their terrorist activities.
Since Twitter refused to address the threats the TERRORIST ORGANIZATION was issuing the president of Nigeria responded in kind. THAT was the tweet that Twitter decided to delete.

These social sites have too much power in our public squares.

Social media doesn't have any more power than the humans who use it to communicate.
If that were true I would have the power to ban you as the useless troll you are. But alas, as users we DO NOT possess the power to alter political discourse via outright removing talk we don't like as social media does.

If that were true I would have the power to ban you as the useless troll you are. But alas, as users we DO NOT possess the power to alter political discourse via outright removing talk we don't like as social media does.
Right! That power belongs squarely with cable news and we only watch Tucker Carlson and OANN because they make sure we don’t have to hear any liberal opinions.

Social media doesn't have any more power than the humans who use it to communicate.
A machine has to have an operator, social media is no more than a tool, a machine that is there for humans to manipulate. Without humans it is a non-functioning apparatus. You do not have control of the machine because you are not its operator. The power I speak of is the interaction of the machine that allows us to communicate, just like on USMB... Oh, and fuck yer troll shit.

Last edited:
They don't seem to think the President of said country should have access to the free and #OpenINternet that is an essential human right in modern society.
The president of said country wasn’t banned from the internet, Twitter was.
If posts are deleted by the president... It's not a free and open internet. I shouldn't be surprised I had to explain it to you.

They don't seem to think the President of said country should have access to the free and #OpenINternet that is an essential human right in modern society.
The president of said country wasn’t banned from the internet, Twitter was.
If posts are deleted by the president... It's not a free and open internet. I shouldn't be surprised I had to explain it to you.
That would be the case if the internet were limited entirely to Twitter. It’s not. The president can use the internet, and publish his own speech any any time without any hindrances.

You are mistaken about what a free and open internet is. Emphasis on the “internet” portion of the statement.

That would be the case if the internet were limited entirely to Twitter. It’s not. The president can use the internet, and publish his own speech any any time without any hindrances.

You are mistaken about what a free and open internet is. Emphasis on the “internet” portion of the statement.
We are deeply concerned by the blocking of Twitter in Nigeria. Access to the free and #OpenInternet is an essential human right in modern society. We will work to restore access for all those in Nigeria who rely on Twitter to communicate and connect with the world. #KeepitOn

TWITTER... Wrote that.

We are deeply concerned by the blocking of Twitter in Nigeria. Access to the free and #OpenInternet is an essential human right in modern society. We will work to restore access for all those in Nigeria who rely on Twitter to communicate and connect with the world. #KeepitOn

TWITTER... Wrote that.
I read that. You are still misunderstanding about the term “internet”.

The Nigerian president has access to publish their speech on the internet.
Twitter does not.

That’s a pretty significant difference, wouldn’t you say?

Twitter does not.

Twitter is suggesting that it's ... You know what... I don't care. You're a fuck'n idiot.

Twitter does not.

Twitter is suggesting that it's ... You know what... I don't care. You're a fuck'n idiot.
You probably just realized your argument is bullshit but are to much if an asshole to admit it.

Hypocrite.

Twitter does not.

You probably just realized your argument is bullshit but are to much if an asshole to admit it.

Hypocrite.

TWITTER... Wrote that.

Ban incoming.

I have exactly ZERO cable news outlets. No Fox, no BSNBC,
no CNN, none of them..
Think you can post on topic this time?
Right! That power belongs squarely with cable news and we only watch Tucker Carlson and OANN because they make sure we don’t have to hear any liberal opinions.

On Friday, Nigeria banned Twitter — yes, the entirety of Twitter — from the country.

The move comes after Twitter deleted a tweet from Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday. The company also suspended Buhari from using the platform for 12 hours.

According to CNN, Twitter said the tweet violated its abusive behavior policies. Many Nigerians had reported the president's tweet as well.

Ironically, the Nigerian government announced its "indefinite" suspension of Twitter on...Twitter.

The World Court of Twitter may soon be joining forces with the Supreme Court of Facebook.
T6 Summit with TikTok, Google, Apple and Amazon imminent.

Serious talks will be discussed,
Followed by what will surely be a wicked game of badminton.

Twitter does not.

Hypocrite.

TWITTER... Wrote that.

Ban incoming.
Oh no! You’re going to be banned because you can’t follow the rules! Oh god! The censorship!

The president of Nigeria isn’t banned from the internet. He’s welcome to host his own content. Twitter is not.

That’s not a subtle difference. That’s a monumental difference. This should be obvious to anyone with half a brain and is not something you’ve shown a spine and willingness to address.

A machine has to have an operator, social media is no more than a tool, a machine that is there for humans to manipulate. Without humans it is a non-function apparatus. You do not have control of the machine because you are not its operator. The power I speak of is the interaction of the machine that allows us to communicate, just like on USMB... Oh, and fuck yer troll shit.
I'll put you and Colfax down as Boko Haram supporters then. Who knows maybe they can Kidnap ANOTHER 300 girls this year so keep your hopes up. Twitter is!

CNN, FOX, MSNBC, networks are all propaganda sites. Continual lies, mistruths, misinformation, deception, and propaganda. No thanks.

I have exactly ZERO cable news outlets. No Fox, no BSNBC,
no CNN, none of them..
Think you can post on topic this time?
Just pointing out that no media outlet is bound to host content they don’t want. People overstate and overhype the effect social media has on political discourse. No one was considering such unconstitutional means to affect private companies when it was cable news, or even talk radio (at least not since the death of the fairness doctrine).

A machine has to have an operator, social media is no more than a tool, a machine that is there for humans to manipulate. Without humans it is a non-function apparatus. You do not have control of the machine because you are not its operator. The power I speak of is the interaction of the machine that allows us to communicate, just like on USMB... Oh, and fuck yer troll shit.
I'll put you and Colfax down as Boko Haram supporters then. Who knows maybe they can Kidnap ANOTHER 300 girls this year so keep your hopes up. Twitter is!
I see you have zero capabilities to debate or to recognize that a cell phone without social media could do the same thing as using social media. As far as your need to project your dismay is most laughable.

Forum List

Back