Nigerian man died while vomiting on plane to JFK

TheAmerican

May 4, 2014
A plane from Nigeria landed at JFK Airport Thursday with a male passenger aboard who had died during the flight after a fit of vomiting — and CDC officials conducted a “cursory” exam before announcing there was no Ebola and turning the corpse over to Port Authority cops to remove, Rep. Peter King said on Thursday.

The congressman was so alarmed by the incident — and by what he and employees see as troubling Ebola vulnerabilities at JFK — that he fired off a letter to the federal Department of Homeland Security demanding more training and tougher protocols for handling possible cases there.

The unnamed, 63-year-old passenger had boarded an Arik Air plane out of Lagos, Nigeria, on Wednesday night, a federal law enforcement source said.

During the flight, the man had been vomiting in his seat, the source said. Some time before the plane landed, he passed away. Flight crew contacted the CDC, federal customs officials and Port Authority police, who all boarded the plane at around 6 a.m. as about 145 worried passengers remained on board, the source said.

“The door [to the terminal] was left open, which a lot of the first responders found alarming,” said the source.

Rep. King called the protocol followed after the passenger died “alarming.”

“My understanding was that the passenger was vomiting in the seat,” King (R-LI) said.

“The CDC went on the plane, examined the dead body and said the person did not have Ebola,” King said.

“It was what I was told a cursory examination. The Port Authority cops and personnel from Customs and Border Protection were there, and they were told there was no danger because the person did not have Ebola,” King said.

“But their concern was, how could you tell so quickly? And what adds to the concern is how wrong the CDC has been over the past few weeks.”

http://nypost.com/2014/10/16/alarm-a...igeria-to-jfk/

Any comment from you on the topic?

Here's mine...

Oh shit.

“The CDC went on the plane, examined the dead body and said the person did not have Ebola,” King said.

“It was what I was told a cursory examination. The Port Authority cops and personnel from Customs and Border Protection were there, and they were told there was no danger because the person did not have Ebola,” King said.

“But their concern was, how could you tell so quickly? And what adds to the concern is how wrong the CDC has been over the past few weeks.”

How long will it take for tests to come back to confirm that it's not Ebola? And what was it? Hopefully, nothing contagious.

The CDC already declared it wasn't Ebola.

Maybe the victim had additional symptoms which allowed them to quickly rule out Ebola.

But they have lied to us before on this.

Maybe one of Eboma's goals is to make Americans hate the two parties and our system of government.

Sure!!

My main issue is the manner in which this particular incident is being framed and presented by the media. For example, the passenger came from an impacted area: Nigeria. The man died and his last and final action was vomiting. Even more troubling is the crude assessment that the CDC took when clearing him as not having ebola.

I think the CDC's tactics are really counterproductive. In their attempts to calm everyone down, they are in fact making more people apprehensive. They should be clear, they should stop telling everyone that they have it under control, they should ban flights..until all hospitals are standardized to receive this type of virus.

NIH had 2 beds to accommodate these patients, 2. I think in total there are 20 beds; I believe that Im being generous with that number. There are 100 West Africans that travel here a day - a day. If one day there is a nominal outbreak, we are screwed.

How long will it take for tests to come back to confirm that it's not Ebola? And what was it? Hopefully, nothing contagious. Had to be serious to kill the guy.

Thats what Im saying. And I am sure there shouldve been a better test than just an overall / cursory assessment.

This is just strange to me, really strange. Are tests that immediate that they can rule out ebola instantly?

How long will it take for tests to come back to confirm that it's not Ebola? And what was it? Hopefully, nothing contagious.

Maybe the victim had additional symptoms which allowed them to quickly rule out Ebola.

Maybe one of Eboma's goals is to make Americans hate the two parties and our system of government.

Worst case here is that they would lie about Ebola being the cause because people are already pissed at the lousy way this is being handled. Obama doesn't want to stop flights and if an person dies from Ebola during a flight from the hot zone, it would make him look like a fool. Suspicious that a guy from Nigeria dies after getting on the plane ill. No precautions are being taken on the other end, so Obama says let them keep coming. Maybe the next one will have Ebola.

Here's mine...

Oh shit.

How quickly can this thing be ruled out? Im going to look that up. Not going to be here tomorrow - lots of work, but hopefully I drop in with a thorough response!

How long will it take for tests to come back to confirm that it's not Ebola? And what was it? Hopefully, nothing contagious. Had to be serious to kill the guy.

Thats what Im saying. And I am sure there shouldve been a better test than just an overall / cursory assessment.

This is just strange to me, really strange. Are tests that immediate that they can rule out ebola instantly?

Post #6

A plane from Nigeria landed at JFK Airport Thursday with a male passenger aboard who had died during the flight after a fit of vomiting — and CDC officials conducted a “cursory” exam before announcing there was no Ebola and turning the corpse over to Port Authority cops to remove, Rep. Peter King said on Thursday.

The congressman was so alarmed by the incident — and by what he and employees see as troubling Ebola vulnerabilities at JFK — that he fired off a letter to the federal Department of Homeland Security demanding more training and tougher protocols for handling possible cases there.

The unnamed, 63-year-old passenger had boarded an Arik Air plane out of Lagos, Nigeria, on Wednesday night, a federal law enforcement source said.

During the flight, the man had been vomiting in his seat, the source said. Some time before the plane landed, he passed away. Flight crew contacted the CDC, federal customs officials and Port Authority police, who all boarded the plane at around 6 a.m. as about 145 worried passengers remained on board, the source said.

“The door [to the terminal] was left open, which a lot of the first responders found alarming,” said the source.

“My understanding was that the passenger was vomiting in the seat,” King (R-LI) said.

Did he vomit any blood? There are plenty of things that can cause you to vomit.

Did he vomit any blood? There are plenty of things that can cause you to vomit.

ONE of which is Ebola.

They were awful quick to rule it out. Can they really tell that without tests? Were there any screenings done in Nigeria when the man got on the plane? They shouldn't let anyone board a plane if they even look sick.

Forum List

Back