'no felon" 1968 gun law, would never pass as referendum

May 21, 2015
these days. the GCA 68 was "snuck thru" congress as part of the "omnibus crime control act" which would NEVER have passed had it not been for the Black rioting of that year.

there's 10 million+ felons not in prison, not on parole. They have a lot of friends and family members, too, and a lot of Libertarians know for a fact that it's a crock to lose gun rights over a non-violent "felony". EVERYTHING is a felony, your MOM committed a felony in high school, when she kissed a boy who was not yet 18.

there's 10 million+ felons not in prison, not on parole. They have a lot of friends and family members, too, and a lot of Libertarians know for a fact that it's a crock to lose gun rights over a non-violent "felony". EVERYTHING is a felony, your MOM committed a felony in high school, when she kissed a boy who was not yet 18.

No, felons have shown they have no respect for the rights of others so I don't have a problem taking some of theirs away. That being said, after a period of time living as productive members of society they can apply for a "Relief From Disability" to have their gun rights restored.

Most have a problem with that "productive" part. I have a ex felon living about a mile away from me and he went through the process and he and I go to the range together every now and then.

He did the crime. He did the time, and now he is a good worker and a good person. He deserved to have his gun rights restored. You???? Not so much.

problem MIGHT be that because he is a felon he can't get a job and work to support himself and be productive . . I don't think that wal mart or fast food will hire felons after they get out of jail . Don't know though , don't know what a released NON VIOLENT felon does .

problem MIGHT be that because he is a felon he can't get a job and work to support himself and be productive . . I don't think that wal mart or fast food will hire felons after they get out of jail . Don't know though , don't know what a released NON VIOLENT felon does .

There are plenty of jobs out there for a non violent offender. They usually suck, but after working for a year to show you're a good employee they get moved up. The problem though, is most just can't be patient and get obnoxious. Thus why they ended up in prison any way. No impulse control.

I work with someone who could have ended up a felon. His crime? He was 20, had too much Corona, and took a whiz in some guy's shrubbery.

He IS a registered sex offender.

There are plenty of jobs out there for a non violent offender. They usually suck, but after working for a year to show you're a good employee they get moved up. The problem though, is most just can't be patient and get obnoxious. Thus why they ended up in prison any way. No impulse control.

I thought prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation. By branding ex felons you are immediately saying they can't be a fully functioning member of society again.

So you are far more likely to give a gun to man with depression than non violent felon.

I will point out that 10% of the population at some point in there life.
Depression Statistics Unhappiness by the Numbers INFOGRAPHIC

6.9% of people have had a major depression episode in the last 12 months:
NIMH Major Depression Among Adults

The strange thing that Europeans asked when they found out how Chris Kyle died(aka the American sniper) was 'How did someone put a gun in the hands of someone with serious mental issues?'

As for ex felons losing the right to vote, in europe prisoners prisoners have the right to vote... They vote by post generally..

A coworker is a felon and he makes over $25 bucks an hour

I thought prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation. By branding ex felons you are immediately saying they can't be a fully functioning member of society again.

So you are far more likely to give a gun to man with depression than non violent felon.

I will point out that 10% of the population at some point in there life.
Depression Statistics Unhappiness by the Numbers INFOGRAPHIC

6.9% of people have had a major depression episode in the last 12 months:
NIMH Major Depression Among Adults

The strange thing that Europeans asked when they found out how Chris Kyle died(aka the American sniper) was 'How did someone put a gun in the hands of someone with serious mental issues?'

As for ex felons losing the right to vote, in europe prisoners prisoners have the right to vote... They vote by post generally..
you should read up on the 68 gun law, it has been a bit since I read it, but you are not supposed to have a gun if you use/addicted to drugs legal or illegal, something like that.

Edit 1968 gun law, who can not buy guns
It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person— (1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year; (2) is a fugitive from justice; (3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)); (4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution; (5) who, being an alien— (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26))); (6) who [2] has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; (7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship; (8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that— (A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and (B) (i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or (ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or (9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

Last edited:
looks like things might be ok for a non violent felon then , always been my thinking that when a non violent felon is released back to the free world that they should have ALL their RIGHTS restored . That's ALL their RIGHTS and that includes guns .

Forum List

Back