No More Hope

Yeah, there was a lot of that in 2008. The air was filled with it. I was 20 years old that year and I can remember riding around in the car with my grandmother through this booming college town of Athens Georgia and seeing so many dorms and houses adorned with the Obama campaign slogan and logo. You see, Athens is a mainly liberal city, the paper leans left, lots of the professors at UGA are Democrats. But anyways, so many people had hope then. As hard right as I was then, even I couldn't help but think "maybe this Obama guy won't be so bad. He's given this country hope again." I voted for John McCain in my very first presidential election, however.

I stayed up all night the day before the inauguration, so I could see Bush ride off into the sunset and see Obama, the man who brought so much hope to this country arrive to lead the nation. A little voice, though, kept saying, "looks can be deceiving, this hope has been offered by many a president before. " Little was I aware that in the coming 6 years, the little voice was right. Hope is a fleeting thing, but it draws the soul like a super magnet. Emotions and rational thought can sometimes be buried in hope. Hope, it seems, is also easily exploitable by men and women who would seek to run for president.

When 2010 came along, I could sense a change in the country's mood. Perhaps they felt as if they made a mistake in giving the Democrats so much power two years prior, that November, the Democrats were crushed in the mid-terms, barely holding on to the Senate. However, that mood dissipated, because just two years later, Obama was re-elected again. He didn't campaign on hope this time, but a newfangled health care law he signed into law. At that moment, I felt as if the man was invincible, much to my dismay. At that moment, I felt in my heart that there was no more hope for this great country of ours.

Many people of my worldview then saw how much Obama ill thought of the Constitution he swore to uphold. I thought, "Just another president who broke his oath. When will there ever be a president elected who will uphold our Constitution as he promises?" However, the year 2013 came along. That year would wind up breaking the Obama presidency, eroding the hope people once had in it. The faith was gone. As the scandals broke out, as the once hailed healthcare law took effect and fell flat on it's face; many people began questioning the choice they made those five short years ago. They began to ask "is there any hope for us?" More and more people began to lose the hope they once had in the man who seemingly had it in abundant supply. As this year came along, I could see that there was no more hope for the Democrats. It had by then evaporated.

As the month of July rolls past in this year 2014, we now know where that hope has gone. It was nothing more than a lie, lofted on the wind for those in far away places. There was no hope, well, not for us at least. As we have tens of thousands of illegals flooding our border, we see now that it is America who has no hope; instead those who think of it as merely a place to gain without sacrifice, live without hardship, and work without any burden. But it will not take long for them to soon realize, as we have already--there is no more hope. Perhaps then, the human soul will provide that hope, instead of silver tongued politicians who carry hope on their sleeves and not in their hearts.

The immigration situation has you this down, yet 9/11/01, New Orleans underwater, and thousands of Americans dead & maimed to find weapons that didn't exist were BRIGHT spots in our history? I see hope, 5 and a half years without disasters that claimed thousands of lives and cost trillions.

Maybe this will start a trend, our next President can improve the economy, and we stay on the road to "normalcy".

One other thing. There is a disaster happening on our border right now that you just readily blew off there. Our ally Israel is (or was) steeped in the fog of war. Our foreign policy is a disaster, given the hundreds of thousands of innocent people being slaughtered in Syria.

And this "let's blame Bush" nonsense will not hold. I never once said that those disasters were bright spots in our history. They simply, and conveniently for you happened when Bush was the president. Your hope is false. When will you ever wake up and see you are being led like a lamb to the slaughter?

As I know there are elections in November, then again in two years, I have no fear; and illegal immigrants are not comparable with cities being bombed. The "you are blaming Bush" mantra is worn out; whenever the disasters that occurred 1/01-1/09 are mentioned, somehow that is blaming Bush. The disasters happened on his watch; if Obama is President while thousands die on US shores, I will take note. And the economic doldrums we face today also sprang, in part from the referenced disasters, how could any American regret Bush leaving office? He brough death, debt, AND defeat for tens of thousands in this nations and abroad.

The immigration situation has you this down, yet 9/11/01, New Orleans underwater, and thousands of Americans dead & maimed to find weapons that didn't exist were BRIGHT spots in our history? I see hope, 5 and a half years without disasters that claimed thousands of lives and cost trillions.

Maybe this will start a trend, our next President can improve the economy, and we stay on the road to "normalcy".

One other thing. There is a disaster happening on our border right now that you just readily blew off there. Our ally Israel is (or was) steeped in the fog of war. Our foreign policy is a disaster, given the hundreds of thousands of innocent people being slaughtered in Syria.

And this "let's blame Bush" nonsense will not hold. I never once said that those disasters were bright spots in our history. They simply, and conveniently for you happened when Bush was the president. Your hope is false. When will you ever wake up and see you are being led like a lamb to the slaughter?

As I know there are elections in November, then again in two years, I have no fear; and illegal immigrants are not comparable with cities being bombed. The "you are blaming Bush" mantra is worn out; whenever the disasters that occurred 1/01-1/09 are mentioned, somehow that is blaming Bush. The disasters happened on his watch; if Obama is President while thousands die on US shores, I will take note. And the economic doldrums we face today also sprang, in part from the referenced disasters, how could any American regret Bush leaving office? He brough death, debt, AND defeat for tens of thousands in this nations and abroad.

What...?

Yeah, there was a lot of that in 2008. The air was filled with it. I was 20 years old that year and I can remember riding around in the car with my grandmother through this booming college town of Athens Georgia and seeing so many dorms and houses adorned with the Obama campaign slogan and logo. You see, Athens is a mainly liberal city, the paper leans left, lots of the professors at UGA are Democrats. But anyways, so many people had hope then. As hard right as I was then, even I couldn't help but think "maybe this Obama guy won't be so bad. He's given this country hope again." I voted for John McCain in my very first presidential election, however.

I stayed up all night the day before the inauguration, so I could see Bush ride off into the sunset and see Obama, the man who brought so much hope to this country arrive to lead the nation. A little voice, though, kept saying, "looks can be deceiving, this hope has been offered by many a president before. " Little was I aware that in the coming 6 years, the little voice was right. Hope is a fleeting thing, but it draws the soul like a super magnet. Emotions and rational thought can sometimes be buried in hope. Hope, it seems, is also easily exploitable by men and women who would seek to run for president.

When 2010 came along, I could sense a change in the country's mood. Perhaps they felt as if they made a mistake in giving the Democrats so much power two years prior, that November, the Democrats were crushed in the mid-terms, barely holding on to the Senate. However, that mood dissipated, because just two years later, Obama was re-elected again. He didn't campaign on hope this time, but a newfangled health care law he signed into law. At that moment, I felt as if the man was invincible, much to my dismay. At that moment, I felt in my heart that there was no more hope for this great country of ours.

Many people of my worldview then saw how much Obama ill thought of the Constitution he swore to uphold. I thought, "Just another president who broke his oath. When will there ever be a president elected who will uphold our Constitution as he promises?" However, the year 2013 came along. That year would wind up breaking the Obama presidency, eroding the hope people once had in it. The faith was gone. As the scandals broke out, as the once hailed healthcare law took effect and fell flat on it's face; many people began questioning the choice they made those five short years ago. They began to ask "is there any hope for us?" More and more people began to lose the hope they once had in the man who seemingly had it in abundant supply. As this year came along, I could see that there was no more hope for the Democrats. It had by January, evaporated, unlike the snow on the ground.

As the month of July rolls past in this year 2014, we now know where that hope has gone. It was nothing more than a lie, lofted on the wind for those in far away places. There was no hope, well, not for us at least. As we have tens of thousands of illegals flooding our border, we see now that it is America who has no hope; instead those who think of it as merely a place to gain without sacrifice, live without hardship, and work without any burden. But it will not take long for them to soon realize, as we have already--there is no more hope. Perhaps then, the human soul will provide that hope, instead of silver tongued politicians who carry hope on their sleeves and not in their hearts.

The economy lost 8 million jobs between sept 2008 and June of 2009. Thanks to Obama's stimulus package that massive job loss leveled off and job growth began. That job growth has continued and we have regained all of those jobs lost.

Sure you will say those jobs gained were of poor quality because most were part time, but how exactly is that Obama's fault? Corporate profits are at an all time high under Obama. Tell me, where are the jobs? Why is it Obama's fault or any other politician? Why don't you put any blame on the "job creators"?

Tell me TK. This is a simple question. What should Obama be doing? What GOVERNMENT POLICIES would you support that would fix our market issues? You are, after all, talking about a failure of government. What sort of government policy would you support to fix our free market system? We already tried tax cuts. Those don't work.

It seems only massive death tolls give some "hope", I of course like going 5 1/2 years without seeing US cities bombed and inundated.

What Osama bin Laden did to America, happened in a quick few hours.
What Barak Hussain Obama has been doing and is doing to America is still in progress.

Osama bin Laden is dead. Barak Husain Obama is not.
Guess whose effect will be greater. Negatively, of course.

you might also add that the stock market more than doubled, jobs are being created at a are of over 200,000 a month and fewer people not getting medical care because they can't afford it.

i'm very hopeful that the GOP will take their party back from wackos and congress will do it's job again. if they were, we'd have a lot more to celebrate.

Correct.

And there is hope that by the end of President Obama's second term, all Americans will at last enjoy their comprehensive civil liberties, as the right of gay Americans to equal protection of the law will finally realized.

Offshore bombardments, first of all, we have ships all over that area. Show Israel we still have their backs. Hey, Obama didn't mind doing it with Libya.
Oh yeah, like Reagan did in the 1980's...bomb Beirut. I recall that.

Time Magazine, 10/3/83

Tell me, with the benefit of history and your, ahem, "intelligence", how did Beirut turn out since the 1980's?

Secondly, I was against action in Syria, but I heeded a word of advice from my father "Son, don't point your gun at someone unless you intend to use it." So, Obama shouldn't threaten military action anywhere unless he's prepared to actually take it.

Make sense?

No.

The President did what you wanted him to do--not take action in Syria-- and now you're calling it a disaster and blaming Obama for what is going on.

Make sense?

I wanted him to do what he said he wanted to do. I don't like people who make lofty threats. Make sense?
No.
You voted against going to war with Syria.
We didn't go to war with Syria
Now you're calling it a disaster.

You got what you wanted and gee, to nobody's surprise, you're blaming the President.

Ahh yes, I wasn't even alive in 1980. But see, we don't have those types of ships anymore. We are closer to magnetic rail guns and drones than anything else. Those types of battleships used all that time ago are the 'horses and bayonets' of yesteryear.
The USS New Jersey was one of the most accurate battleships in the navy--when they still had battle ships. You're simply ignorant of the capabilities of the ships.

That you're ignorant comes as no surprise; you exhibit that much every day.

The point is that the bombing didn't work then and it's not going to work now. History is a wonderful thing if your can learn from it (again, you said it yourself--you're hopeless).

Here is how it goes; the Israelis roll in the tanks through the valley--Bekaa Valley as I recall, and sieze Beirut.

"The Israeli Defense Forces have taken postions in West Beirut to prevent the danger of violence, bloodshed and anarchy."
— Statement by the Israeli Cabinet.
Time Magazine 9/27/82

1101820621_400.jpg

Here is how it looked back in the 1980's--before you were born.

1101820816_400.jpg

We show our support by trying to assist them while suing for peace;

Ultimately leading up to this:

1101831107_400.jpg

Where we had nearly 300 marines killed by one truck bomb.

Oh but since we have drones...this time will be different; right?

As for intelligence... I'll be polite and not comment on your intelligence, okay? I'd rather not embarrass you this morning.

You're too busy embarrassing yourself.

First you got what you wanted in Syria and proclaim it a disaster.
Next, you recommend "been there, done that--it failed" policies for Israel.
Why not complete the tri-fecta and invade Cuba again?

Peach, after 9/11/01, we had more hope then than we do now. In the few years following that tragedy, we actually were united; we were hopeful. Not so today. We have once again been robbed of it. No matter how much you continue to persist in saying otherwise.

And, we were united. And then Bush used the oppurtunity to vilify his opponents and lie us into a war and offend most of the world.

And oddly, never caught the guy who actually masterminded the whole thing.

Many people of my worldview then saw how much Obama ill thought of the Constitution he swore to uphold. I thought, "Just another president who broke his oath. When will there ever be a president elected who will uphold our Constitution as he promises?" However, the year 2013 came along. That year would wind up breaking the Obama presidency, eroding the hope people once had in it. The faith was gone. As the scandals broke out, as the once hailed healthcare law took effect and fell flat on it's face; many people began questioning the choice they made those five short years ago. They began to ask "is there any hope for us?" More and more people began to lose the hope they once had in the man who seemingly had it in abundant supply. As this year came along, I could see that there was no more hope for the Democrats. It had by January, evaporated, unlike the snow on the ground.

The economy lost 8 million jobs between sept 2008 and June of 2009. Thanks to Obama's stimulus package that massive job loss leveled off and job growth began. That job growth has continued and we have regained all of those jobs lost.

Sure you will say those jobs gained were of poor quality because most were part time, but how exactly is that Obama's fault? Corporate profits are at an all time high under Obama. Tell me, where are the jobs? Why is it Obama's fault or any other politician? Why don't you put any blame on the "job creators"?

Tell me TK. This is a simple question. What should Obama be doing? What GOVERNMENT POLICIES would you support that would fix our market issues? You are, after all, talking about a failure of government. What sort of government policy would you support to fix our free market system? We already tried tax cuts. Those don't work.

It seems only massive death tolls give some "hope", I of course like going 5 1/2 years without seeing US cities bombed and inundated.

I also offer this:

candycorn-albums-triton-picture6687-race-exit-poll.png

Obama won 4 out of 10; nearly 1/2 of the white vote and dominated all other categories. The polls tell a much different story than those who insist our nation is divided.

There are divisions; do not misunderstand me. However the divisions are over ways and means more often than the actual subject at hand.

Of course, I'm sure you liked going 7 years without US cities being bombed or attacked during the Bush administration, too, right? Only then you were calling him a warmonger, not a hero, correct?

The evidence is undeniable that the stimulus stopped the job free fall.

How do you not see the contradiction in what you are saying. Pen jobs bill? How would that not be government interfering in the market? You need to answer the question and be specific. What specific jobs bill would fix our economy? What jobs bill would get bipartisan support? You can't answer these quesrions can you?

There's 'no more hope' for the partisan right as they see their tactics of dividing America and propagating lies and 'gloom and doom' politics fail to realize their hateful political agenda, rejected by Americans enjoying the benefits of living in a diverse, inclusive, and more enlightened society.

Peach, after 9/11/01, we had more hope then than we do now. In the few years following that tragedy, we actually were united; we were hopeful. Not so today. We have once again been robbed of it. No matter how much you continue to persist in saying otherwise.

And, we were united. And then Bush used the oppurtunity to vilify his opponents and lie us into a war and offend most of the world.

Interestingly enough Joe, his Intel helped Obama kill the guy responsible... Better to lie us into war, than lie your way into office.

The evidence is undeniable that the stimulus stopped the job free fall.

How do you not see the contradiction in what you are saying. Pen jobs bill? How would that not be government interfering in the market? You need to answer the question and be specific. What specific jobs bill would fix our economy? What jobs bill would get bipartisan support? You can't answer these quesrions can you?
I'd love for you to post this 'undeniable' evidence, Billy.

There's 'no more hope' for the partisan right as they see their tactics of dividing America and propagating lies and 'gloom and doom' politics fail to realize their hateful political agenda, rejected by Americans enjoying the benefits of living in a diverse, inclusive, and more enlightened society.

Sure. There's no hope for anyone who hops aboard the bandwagon, the two party bandwagon, that is.

Oh, look, everyone, another bloviating OP by Chief Runs-with-Scissors.

Oh, please, Cleetus, there was never a point where you were batshit crazy at the thought of a black guy in the White House.

NO, what that proves is that midterms aren't really indicative, because they aren't representative.

When we had another national vote, people reaffirmed that they don't trust the GOP to make the big decisions. And frankly, they shouldn't as long as it is dominated by rich douchebags and religious crazies.

Guy, spending your life hoping for someone else to fail instead of trying to improve your own life is not going to ever make you a happy person.

Reality. Most presidents have disappointing second terms. Bush had Katrina, the Great Recession and the Iraq War turned to shit. Clinton had Monica. Reagan had Iran Contra. Nixon had Watergate. I doubt any of the faux scandals you breathlessly follow on Faux News will be memorable by comparison.

Guy, tell me, how are illegal children making your life any worse? I mean, it wasn't like you were actually going out looking for that bag-boy job that some of these kids might get.

Your life is not miserable because Obama was "silver tongued". Your life is miserable because you don't make the effort to improve it, and you are surrounded by enablers who let you get away with it. (IRL and on USMB).

Interestingly enough Joe, his Intel helped Obama kill the guy responsible... Better to lie us into war, than lie your way into office.

Uh, they're politicians, they all "lie" their way into office.

Lying us into a war is worse. People fucking died.

And, no, Bush's "Intel" didn't catch bin Laden. We spent years chasing down false leads from guys who would say anything to stop the water-boarding.

Bush did that too with "compassionate conservatism" and a "more humble" foreign policy:

While the Bush Doctrine of preemption sharply contrasts with the "more humble" foreign policy publicly advocated in 2000 by presidential candidate Bush, who repeatedly promised to avoid the interventionist "nation building" exploits of his predecessor, it has a developmental history going back to at least the early 1990's.

October 11, 2000 The Second Gore-Bush Presidential Debate (transcript)

"....It really depends upon how our nation conducts itself in foreign policy. If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us. And it's -- our nation stands alone right now in the world in terms of power, and that's why we have to be humble. And yet project strength in a way that promotes freedom. So I don't think they ought to look at us in any way other than what we are. We're a freedom-loving nation and if we're an arrogant nation they'll view us that way, but if we're a humble nation they'll respect us."
http://www.republicansforhumility.com/rhetoric.html

If Obama had said that we should be humble on the international stage, you'd hate him even more than you do now...if that were possible.

And, no, Bush's "Intel" didn't catch bin Laden. We spent years chasing down false leads from guys who would say anything to stop the water-boarding.

Uh, Joe, how else did we know where to find him? Surely you aren't that stupid. I mean you were claiming credit for Obama after all.

Uh, Joe, how else did we know where to find him? Surely you aren't that stupid. I mean you were claiming credit for Obama after all.

Well, it wasn't because Bush tortured people. IN fact, quite the oppossite. the "Courier" was described by Khalid as "someone of no importance' after he was waterboarded.

But it would be nice if Bush had kept the eye on the ball in Afghanistan and Pakistan instead of settling scores with Saddam in Iraq.

Forum List

Back