NorCal Couple Finds $10M In Gold Coins;

My conscience informs me what's proper to do with found money. As a kid I found someone's wallet with $28 in it (and ID.) By all rights I could have returned it, but I didn't. As I recall I went to 7-11 and bought a ton of candy. But to this day I feel bad (so bad I remember it.) And that was just $28. $10M? Not hard to know what's proper. :)

May Be Greatest Buried Treasure Ever Found In U.S.

Wow! How many of their neighbors are now going to rush out and dig up every inch of their property?

And, how can they keep them? Will the government claim them? Read more with videos @ NorCal Couple Finds $10M In Gold Coins; May Be Greatest Buried Treasure Ever Found In U.S. « CBS San Francisco
TIBURON (CBS SF) – A couple has made the buried treasure find of a lifetime – gold coins worth millions of dollars – on their property in Northern California.

A cache of more than 1,400 rare U.S. gold coins, stored in decaying metal cans and buried near an old tree on the property, was discovered as the couple were taking their dog on a daily walk.

:cool:

Find a few bucks, then congratulations. But finding millions someone obviously buried I'd try to find out who it belongs to and return it. Rather be thanked and possibly rewarded with my honor intact than basicly steal something because it's on my property.
BS I buy a piece of property I own what's on/in it. 'Water rights/mineral rights' excepted.....sometimes.
I love your typical LIB 'selective sense of morality/honor. At what amount of money does your morality/honor kick in? Anything over ten bucks/hundred bucks/thousand bucks?
"Will you give me a 'BJ' for five bucks?" NO WAY!!!!!! "Will you give me a 'BJ" for ten thousand bucks?" "Do you have the money in cash on you?"
Five bucks or ten thousand bucks you are still selling your morality/honor.
Take your head out of your phony self righteous ass pal.

My conscience informs me what's proper to do with found money. As a kid I found someone's wallet with $28 in it (and ID.) By all rights I could have returned it, but I didn't. As I recall I went to 7-11 and bought a ton of candy. But to this day I feel bad (so bad I remember it.) And that was just $28. $10M? Not hard to know what's proper. :)

When I was a teen I went to an amusement park and when I got on a ride I found a wallet with about $600 in it sitting on the seat. When I got off the ride, I walked to the customer service desk and handed them the wallet. I figured it was someones vacation money and losing it would ruin their vacation

When I was a teen I went to an amusement park and when I got on a ride I found a wallet with about $600 in it sitting on the seat. When I got off the ride, I walked to the customer service desk and handed them the wallet. I figured it was someones vacation money and losing it would ruin their vacation

Well done.

Presumedly, digging up millions involves your finding stolen property in which case you should inform law enforcement and try to return it. Usually if after some length of time the rightful owner can't be located you get to keep it. Unless it was stolen from a federal bank or the like. But it's better to do the right thing and get famous for that (such positive news coverage attracts employers and others who'll want you an honorable person working for them like,) than do the wrong thing and have it gnawing away inside your mind the rest of your life.

In this instance, 'finders keepers' is legal, but not 'right.' It's like the example of property falling off the back of a truck into the street and how taking it isn't legal. Only difference being here the property was buried and I'd think, given the date on the coins, forgotton about. Though because it was buried I also think it's probable it's stolen property. Consequently, someone was royally screwed losing it originally, and not then finding them or their descendent now is only screwing them anew.

It's probably legal to keep it, but still wrong. If it was in fact stolen, might be illegal.

Did you find the wallet buried in your backyard?

Wow! How many of their neighbors are now going to rush out and dig up every inch of their property?

And, how can they keep them? Will the government claim them? Read more with videos @ NorCal Couple Finds $10M In Gold Coins; May Be Greatest Buried Treasure Ever Found In U.S. « CBS San Francisco
TIBURON (CBS SF) – A couple has made the buried treasure find of a lifetime – gold coins worth millions of dollars – on their property in Northern California.

A cache of more than 1,400 rare U.S. gold coins, stored in decaying metal cans and buried near an old tree on the property, was discovered as the couple were taking their dog on a daily walk.

That IS a unique story. Since they own the land, I would hope the coins remain their property, they purchased. I would love to know the history of the good find.

Depends on who put them there and why...

people never learn.... Just keep quiet.

California couple in $10M gold find may owe gov’t about half, report says
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the find is a taxable event under a 1969 federal court ruling that held a "treasure trove" is taxable the year it was discovered.

"If you find and keep property that does not belong to you that has been lost or abandoned (treasure-trove), it is taxable to you at its fair market value in the first year it is your undisputed possession,” the report said, citing the IRS tax guide.

The report says after all is said and done, about 47 percent will go to state and federal tax, or the top tax rate.
California couple in $10M gold find may owe gov?t about half, report says | Fox News

It is hard to discretely spend $10 million in gold

The couple is no different than anyone else. They owe the taxes on their windfall, much like a lottery winner who won $10 million
The blind greed of progressives truly knows no bounds.

California couple in $10M gold find may owe gov?t about half, report says | Fox News

The couple is no different than anyone else. They owe the taxes on their windfall, much like a lottery winner who won $10 million

People who find money should get a better tax rate than those who earned it?

No more greedy than conservitives claiming property that is not their property.

You mean like in eminent domain abuse, more often than not perpetrated by progressives?

Anyways. the cache of coins was found on their own private property. No conservative is laying any claim to them.

The people who found this money should have kept quiet. The govt will say they lost it 100 years ago. Indian tribes will say the same. All sorts of scum will say they lost it. I bet the idiots end up with nothing.

If you find something, shut up.

You mean like in eminent domain abuse, more often than not perpetrated by progressives?

Anyways. the cache of coins was found on their own private property. No conservative is laying any claim to them.

Give it time, people don't just discard priceless gold coins.

Find a few bucks, then congratulations. But finding millions someone obviously buried I'd try to find out who it belongs to and return it. Rather be thanked and possibly rewarded with my honor intact than basicly steal something because it's on my property.

I'm not sure.

I think once you close on a property, it is yours. Not like sunken treasure that is governed by maritime law.

I suspect it was buried in the 30s when the government was confiscating gold

they were talking about this on the radio this morning,here is what they have found out so far.....

The Crazy True History of the Saddle Ridge Gold Coins

Forum List

Back