North Carolina allows opt out on same sex marriage

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
I doubt if this legislation will last long

North Carolina lawmakers allow opt-out over same-sex marriage

North Carolina's House of Representatives on Thursday pushed through legislation permitting government officials to refuse to perform same-sex marriages by citing religious objections, overriding the governor's veto.
The action allows the measure passed by the state's Republican-controlled legislature to become law, protecting public officials who oppose same-sex marriages from losing their jobs.
Governor Pat McCrory, also a Republican, had said the officials should not be exempt from upholding their oath, with same-sex marriage now legal in North Carolina.

North Carolina's House of Representatives on Thursday pushed through legislation permitting government officials to refuse to perform same-sex marriages by citing religious objections, overriding the governor's veto.
The action allows the measure passed by the state's Republican-controlled legislature to become law, protecting public officials who oppose same-sex marriages from losing their jobs.
Governor Pat McCrory, also a Republican, had said the officials should not be exempt from upholding their oath, with same-sex marriage now legal in North Carolina.

That's sensible. Don't agree with the objection, but do agree with giving officials the right to not perform the services providing someone else does. But if becomes "sorry no one in this state wants to do it" or makes it such a burden, then it'd be unjust.

I suspect North Carolina will learn about separation of church and state

You are a government official. If your religious beliefs interfere with your ability to do your job.....you should leave

That's sensible. Don't agree with the objection, but do agree with giving officials the right to not perform the services providing someone else does. But if becomes "sorry no one in this state wants to do it" or makes it such a burden, then it'd be unjust.
That's why it won't hold up.

You are a government official. If your religious beliefs interfere with your ability to do your job.....you should leave

"In God we trust."

"Prayer breakfasts at the White House"

etc.

The religion in government ship sailed a long time ago. :)

This seems to be Plan B for Republicans

They are realizing they have lost the same sex marriage argument. Passing legislation that allows individuals to selectively decide who they will provide service to is their back door way of harassing gays

"In God we trust."

etc.

Those are not laws

It is a reach to go from "In God we trust" (which is bogus anyway) to my religion trumps my governmental duties

"In God we trust."

etc.

Those are not laws

It is a reach to go from "In God we trust" (which is bogus anyway) to my religion trumps my governmental duties

No they're not laws. They're better than laws. A law can be repealed. They're indisputable facts and realities. :)

Thank you Rightwinger, I wasn't sure we would get our daily dose of pointless fag discussions today.
You saved us from the real issues plaguing our nation. Good man...

It also means that if they have a religious objection to interracial marriage they can opt out of performing those too, right?

"In God we trust."

etc.

Those are not laws

No they're not laws. They're better than laws. A law can be repealed. They're indisputable facts and realities. :)
It can also be overturned by the state supreme court, and if they refuse to do so, the scotus gets the opportunity.

"In God we trust."

etc.

Those are not laws

It can also be overturned by the state supreme court, and if they refuse to do so, the scotus gets the opportunity.

This goes beyond a private business to a government official

To allow a government official to use his religion as a basis for denying government services is clearly unconstitutional

I don't think this law will stand for very long. If you can't perform the duties of the office you were elected to do then find another job. A stripper that refuses to take their clothes doesn't have a job anymore.

For every judge who refuses, there will be a judge who will gladly add that money into his county budget.

Under the measure, magistrates and other officials can refuse to perform marriages or issue marriage certificates if they cite a “sincerely held religious objection.”

So it goes beyond just participating in the marriage but filing marriage certificates or even formally documenting the wedding

Where does it stop?

For every judge who refuses, there will be a judge who will gladly add that money into his county budget.

Kind of like giving gays their own water fountain isn't it?

An amendment to the bill also allows police officers to arrest suspects without probable cause, if not arresting them would violate the officer's religious beliefs. Alabama judge Roy Moore explained that the amendment would bring "true religious freedom" to North Carolina by allowing an officer to decide at any moment through the day, or multiple times in the course of a day, to "follow whatever religious beliefs he wants, when he wants, which is what our founding fathers intended."

An amendment to the bill also allows police officers to arrest suspects without probable cause, if not arresting them would violate the officer's religious beliefs. Alabama judge Roy Moore explained that the amendment would bring "true religious freedom" to North Carolina by allowing an officer to decide at any moment through the day, or multiple times in the course of a day, to "follow whatever religious beliefs he wants, when he wants, which is what our founding fathers intended."

These laws always seem to center on religious beliefs towards gays

Why wouldn't all religious beliefs be covered?

"In God we trust."

etc.

Those are not laws

This goes beyond a private business to a government official

To allow a government official to use his religion as a basis for denying government services is clearly unconstitutional
Oh, I agree. If you have a right to do something, I don't see how a govt official can refuse to give you some certificate you need to do it, so long as you meet the qualifications. That seems a pretty clear equal protection violation.

Forum List

Back