North Carolina approves amendment banning gay marriage

Actually, it does, unless we assume that minor children have no rights.

Guess we should deny the right to bear children to abusive red-necks too then.

Perhaps a test for an over-abundance of testosterone and lack of control?

Nice of you to assume that I am a redneck simply because I point out something somebody missed.

When did I say that you personally were a redneck?

That was a comparison, not a personal attack.

Well, there is a difference between marriage and civil unions.

I suppose I could care less if gays want civil unions, however I am opposed to gay marriage.

I view marriage as a religious based sacrament which has First Amendment implications...

As long as the same rights, benefits, etc, exist in either circumstance, I'm with you.

What the hell does it matter what it's called?

I suppose I could care less if gays want civil unions, however I am opposed to gay marriage.

I view marriage as a religious based sacrament which has First Amendment implications...

Can you tell me how it affects you.

let's pretend a gay couple (male or female, doesn't matter) get married and move in next door to you.

Habits aside (maybe they like loud music, or rev up their car at 5.30 every morning), how does their maritial status impact on your life one iota.

If anybody could give me one example where a gay couple getting married impacts on their life, then please do...but be prepared for your answer to be eviscerated....

Well, no one with a Guy Fawkes pic in his sig should be taken seriously - not to mention Guy Fawkes and a quote from Gandhi in the same sig...

I don't think anyone is trying to force private institutions - like churches - to change their definition of marriage. So no First Amendment infringement there.

let's pretend a gay couple (male or female, doesn't matter) get married and move in next door to you.

Habits aside (maybe they like loud music, or rev up their car at 5.30 every morning), how does their maritial status impact on your life one iota.

If anybody could give me one example where a gay couple getting married impacts on their life, then please do...but be prepared for your answer to be eviscerated....

Should Catholic churches be forced to marry gay people??

I don't think anyone is trying to force private institutions - like churches - to change their definition of marriage. So no First Amendment infringement there.

The word "Marriage" is religious in origin......

The concept of a civil union is not...

Nick, no one is trying to force a private institution to recognize gay marriage.

Even myself - who is an adamant same-sex marriage supporter at the governmental level - would never support such a thing.

Where talking about the public level of things.

How does changing the definition of "marriage" at the public level infringe on anyone's First Amendment rights?

Nick, no one is trying to force a private institution to recognize gay marriage.

Even myself - who is an adamant same-sex marriage supporter at the governmental level - would never support such a thing.

Hell, I'm a libertarian and I believe there should be a distinction.

I believe (er know) "Marriage" is a word that describes the union between a man and a woman.

I could care less if gays want to have civil unions and have all the same rights as "married" folk..

I'll just sit back and laugh when that policy or "right" is being abused.

Why stomp on a man's liberty to marry his cousin or his sister? shit

The real question is, why stomp on a man's liberty when the choice you're preventing him from being able to make doesn't have any effect the personal rights of you or any other individual within that society?

The question is do you believe in the vote and do you believe in States Rights.. That is the question.

States have no ‘right’ to violate Constitutional case law, the rights of their citizens, or ignore the rule of law.

Are you saying that no one who is getting married has children? I think that is a bit close minded of you.

The simple fact is that some people who are involved in same sex relationships have children, and that any talk of same sex marriage has to admit that, and admit that those children also have rights. I am pretty sure the entire rational for allowing the state to jump into regulating marriage in the first place can be boiled down to "It's for the children." That means that this debate has to include the rights of children to be realistic.
A fundamental right for children is to be in a safe, loving, stable home, a home same-sex couples are perfectly capable of providing, as documented by the trial evidence presented in Perry v. Brown.

Indeed, North Carolina will fail in its effort to defend the amendment, as did California, if it attempts to make a ‘welfare of the children’ argument. The abundance of the evidence clearly shows children raised by same-sex couples are just as healthy and well-adjusted as children raised by an opposite-sex couple, or raised by a single parent.

How you personally view it is irrelevant. Marriage is a creation of government. It governs more than 1,000 rights and obligations between the married couple.

This country doesn't generally encourage disparate classes of citizenship.

I love pretend libertarians who think it's a travesty if government tells you to where a seatbelt but have no problem with government interfering in people's lives based on your own religious beliefs.

Last edited:

Where talking about the public level of things.

How does changing the definition of "marriage" at the public level infringe on anyone's First Amendment rights?

Because one has origins and a clear cut historical definition tied to religious ideals and the other one is a new concept...

How you personally view it is irrelevant. Marriage is a creation of government. It governs more than 1,000 rights and obligations between the married couple.

I love pretend libertarians who think it's a travesty if government tells you to where a seatbelt but have no problem with government interfering in people's lives based on your own religious beliefs.

Stay out of this philosophy - I don't believe you're intelligent enough to participate.

Stay out of this philosophy - I don't believe you're intelligent enough to participate.

once again, your beliefs are false and irrelevant. but its always funny when someone with half my IQ pretends they're smarter than i am.

feel free to find another board if i trouble you.

Last edited:

No. Nor should they have any say in same sex couples going to the registry office and getting married.

154719_424228347588149_114517875225866_1557726_119223513_n.jpg

Here's the problem with gay marriage the church and the government.
Most churches will not marry gays. The government forces a church to marry gay couples would be a violation of the 1st amendment.
I think this happen in one of those states that allow gay marriages.

No. Nor should they have any say in same sex couples going to the registry office and getting married.

Hence Civil Unions......

once again, your beliefs are false and irrelevant. but its always funny when someone with half my IQ pretends they're smarter than i am.

feel free to find another board if i trouble you.

:lol:

You can't even capitalize...

Forum List

Back