Nothing irks me off more than libertarian college kids...

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
Nothing irks me off more than libertarian college kids who pay no taxes telling me - who is backing their student loans with my taxes - that I want to tax them too much. Boys and girls, just shut up. Enjoy going to college on loans with low rates of interest - and don't ask why the interest is so low. Just know that government is bad - its evil! Ask them if they want to eliminate the department of education? YES! Do you want us to eliminate your student loans so you can pay double the interest you pay now? NO!

Its quite easy for people who are 19 years old with no responsibilities and living partially off of loan money to say they should pay a flat tax, isn't it?

Nothing grinds my gears more than politically biased hacks like you. These kids are thinking into the future, believe it or not, and are quite well aware that their future is being damaged by people who share the same dangerous philosophies as you. Nothing pisses me off more than liberals who couldn't give a damn about the future of our next working class.

Student loan debt has exceeded 1 trillion dollars, and tuition is being hiked all over the place. Let stay focused, shall we?

These kids are thinking into the future..
By taking the bread offered by the Department of Education and then claiming they want to eliminate the department? Yeah that's thinking into the future alright, as in "by the time the policies I support are implemented they will only hurt people younger than me so fuck em, I'll take mine now". Really good planning ahead.

believe it or not, and are quite well aware that their future is being damaged by people who share the same dangerous philosophies as you.
"Dangerous political philosophies" - really? Here's an exercise: Lets look back in history at which groups were typically accused of having "dangerous political philosophies". Now look back at which groups did the accusing of groups they claimed to have "dangerous political philosophies". Compare, contrast.

Nothing pisses me off more than liberals who couldn't give a damn about the future of our next working class.

Oh please you can't be for real. The Republicans have done everything they can over the last 20 years to reduce the power of the working class. The libertarians in particular have three main goals 1) reduce wages and salaries for the working class 2) lower taxes on the rich 3) eliminate laws that make it harder for the wealthy to use the lower class like cattle and which make it possible for the middle class to exist at all.

Student loan debt has exceeded 1 trillion dollars, and tuition is being hiked all over the place. Let stay focused, shall we?

Yes - let's stay focused like those little libertarian college kids - who know the Dept. of Education is evil, except that it enable them to get a loan at a good rate so they can go to a school which in many cases is heavily subsidized by the public.

Also - we should continue to cut public funding for universities and then continue to act as if we don't know why the tuition keeps going up.

Nothing irks me more than old people trying to turn young people into debt-serfs in order to fund their retirements.

Clearly if we eliminated subsidized student loans so students had to pay a higher interest rate to get a loan - that would reduce their debt burden, right?

Against my better judgement... Because you're off your meds again...

Ah.. Isn't Uncle Sam about to double their interest rate?

Yes. Just as they want him to. You see, it costs money for Uncle Sam to keep those interest rates below market rates for students. Tax dollars. The teabaggers want Uncle Sam to spend less, so those of them in college should have no problem paying double the rate, right? Of course - they are free to seek a loan in the un-subsidized, private market. I'm sure there are plenty of banks chomping at the bit to loan tens of thousands of dollars to a 20 year old without a permanent job and without any collateral whatsoever.

Nothing irks me more than old people trying to turn young people into debt-serfs in order to fund their retirements.

Clearly if we eliminated subsidized student loans so students had to pay a higher interest rate to get a loan - that would reduce their debt burden, right?

Subsidized by WHOM pray tell? These KIDS as future taxpayers? But maybe with subsidized students from Uncle Sam with sketchy payback rules and a larger potential default rate --- With any luck.. Some of those kids will be paying not only their OWN loan back but the loan of that Ethnic Poetry major as well..

Subsidized by WHOM pray tell?

ME. The guy paying the TAXES.

Of course I didn't always pay the taxes. I was in college once and didn't make much money. Now I do. That's OK. Its supposed to work that way.

These KIDS as future taxpayers? But maybe with subsidized students from Uncle Sam with sketchy payback rules

"sketchy payback rules" ?

My wife has student loans still outstanding, I've found none of the payback rules to be sketchy.

and a larger potential default rate
Hold on just let me get this straight - you're saying that if they are charged MORE interest, it will cause them to default LESS? OK!

--- With any luck.. Some of those kids will be paying not only their OWN loan back but the loan of that Ethnic Poetry major as well..

If they create the libertarian dream world were a tiny sliver of the population owns everything and everyone else has nothing - you can guarantee they'll be paying down the loans of the poetry majors.

Don't like 19 year olds being smarter than you? Yeah it would probably peeve me off too.

But the beauty of life is that you can learn.

Education inflation has been multiples of CPI due to the easy money of student loans. If the government hadn't fueled the bubble, those students would have far less debt for their education.

Just think of the circle of life.

In the 60s the college kids were small government hippies.

In the 90s they were loudmouth Rush Limbaughs

In the 10s they seem to have circled to almost hippie libertarians.

Soon they will be all long haired and not showering hippies again.

For fun engage them in a conversation on socialized medicine. Get them to claim to be libertarians and to want a non socialized system. Remind them that is not what we had before because in 1989 if I showed up at the hospital shot I got treated then "billed" even if I really could not pay.

Nothing irks me off more than libertarian college kids who pay no taxes telling me - who is backing their student loans with my taxes - that I want to tax them too much. Boys and girls, just shut up. Enjoy going to college on loans with low rates of interest - and don't ask why the interest is so low. Just know that government is bad - its evil! Ask them if they want to eliminate the department of education? YES! Do you want us to eliminate your student loans so you can pay double the interest you pay now? NO!

Its quite easy for people who are 19 years old with no responsibilities and living partially off of loan money to say they should pay a flat tax, isn't it?

Well, as a former "libertarian college kid," I think I speak for all the rest when I say A.) we don't care, and B.) you can only guess at our financial situation. So get over it.

Yes, actually, because colleges would be forced to lower their prices as few students could afford to go to college at the current rates.

Yes, actually, because colleges would be forced to lower their prices as few students could afford to go to college at the current rates.

Called the free market zon... supply, demand, competition, and other such seditious concepts

*lurking into the backside of every argument and thread to post something blatantly obvious and borderline idiotic in it's need to be pointed out. <--- it's kinda my thing.*

Last edited:

Education inflation has been multiples of CPI due to the easy money of student loans. If the government hadn't fueled the bubble, those students would have far less debt for their education.

That's simply not true.
http://www.acenet.edu/the-presidenc...l-Student-Aid-Drive-Increases-in-Tuition.aspx
Public university tuition has inflated due to reductions in public funding of universities. Inflation in private school tuitions has not been nearly as high because they rely on far less public funding. Your analysis is based on either the faulty presumption that universities are for-profit - most are not - or the faulty presumption that not-for-profits behave as if they were profit seeking - most do not. Charitable thrift shops raise their prices when their costs go up, not when their customers get better loans. Universities raise tuition to cover their costs - not to deliver profit into shareholders hands.

Last edited:

Well, as a former "libertarian college kid," I think I speak for all the rest when I say A.) we don't care, and

60% of college students attend on loans. Are you telling me the libertarian college kids are the other 40%? I guess they just don't think the 60% on loans should be there, and it should be just them, right?

B.) you can only guess at our financial situation. So get over it.

What few libertarians who worked their way through school and did it without loans don't hesitate to brag about it. Though its hard to imagine how they could have thought it would have been fair to impose higher taxes on them while they were working there way through. Perhaps they just aren't aware the typical college kid working his way through school would pay more taxes under either a flat tax or a consumption tax.

So basically all libertarian college kids fit into one of two categories:
A) hypocrites for wanting to eliminate the public funding that is partially supporting their education
B) masochists for wanting to change tax policy in a way that would actually make it harder for them to work through school

A is the biggest category.

Last edited:

Well, as a former "libertarian college kid," I think I speak for all the rest when I say A.) we don't care, and

60% of college students attend on loans. Are you telling me the libertarian college kids are the other 40%? I guess they just don't think the 60% on loans should be there, and it should be just them, right?

B.) you can only guess at our financial situation. So get over it.

What few libertarians who worked their way through school and did it without loans don't hesitate to brag about it. Though its hard to imagine how they could have thought it would have been fair to impose higher taxes on them while they were working there way through. Perhaps they just aren't aware the typical college kid working his way through school would pay more taxes under either a flat tax or a consumption tax.

So basically all libertarian college kids fit into one of two categories:
A) hypocrites for wanting to eliminate the public funding that is partially supporting their education
B) masochists for wanting to change tax policy in a way that would actually make it harder for them to work through school

A is the biggest category.

So many straw-men and so little time.

I'll settle for this, since it's the least obnoxious claim, libertarians do not want a flat or consumption tax. They want to eliminate the income tax and replace it with absolutely nothing.

Forum List

Back