NRA School Shield: Why should the NRA be the voice of how schools are protected?

By Evan McMorris-Santoro

There were a lot of words at the NRA presser, but the message was very simple: the NRA will not follow some of the pro-gun rights politicians in Washington into a new discussion of gun regulations. Instead, the group has created a program designed to usher more guns into schools: NRA School Shield, led by former Arkansas Rep. Asa Hutchison (R). Hutchison was on hand to explain the program, and LaPierre likened it to NRA efforts during the Second World War.

“Our training programs are the most advanced in the world. That expertise must be brought to bear to protect our schools and our children now,” he said. “We did it for the nation’s defense industries and military installations during World War II, and we’ll do it for our schools today.”

School Shield is a “multifaceted” program, LaPierre said, but it was clear that the goal was more armed guards in schools. LaPierre said Congress should get a jump start on the process by putting armed adults in all schools by the end of the holiday break.

The idea behind School Shield isn’t new for the gun lobby. Indeed, LaPierre reminded the press he suggested something similar after the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings.

More: NRA Chief Wayne LaPierre Blames Anything But Guns For Massacre | TPMDC

Annual dues for one member.....$35.

About 4,500,000 members. Does that give you a clue?

Money talks and bullshit walks

omg, that's just HORRIBLE they represent the people who are paid members..
funny you all don't see anything wrong with UNION DUES

I'm in favor of more training before you can own a gun and even more after that for carrying permits. Definitely some type of personality screening and mental evaluation too. Need? No, the Constitution is reason enough for a person to own any type of gun. Thank you for at least discussing this in more concrete terms Ravi. I appreciate it.
I disagree that the constitution allows for us to own any type of gun. But of course that is the sticking point in the discussion.

You don't need an AR-15 for self defense, unless of course lax gun laws have put AR-15s into the hands of criminals. Anyone with good training can thwart off a home invader with one well placed bullet.

At lease we agree on something, and that is a start.
There is no 'self defense' requirement listed in the Constitution. None at all. There isn't even one in the 2nd Amendment. It simply says that the people have the right to be armed, and that government cannot infringe upon that.

This self defense, hunting, or other arguments are all red herrings. People who chase these arguments are fools.

I have the right to own arms. I do not have to explain to anyone why I have that right any more than people have to explain why they have the right to breath.
The second amendment says we have a right to bear arms to have militias to secure the state. SCOTUS recently interpreted that to mean a right to self-defense. I disagree with them but it is what it is.

What else could that fucking tool of the Gun Manufacturers gave said? His corporate masters want him to sell more guns so the speech he gave was perfect for that.

• Stop playing video games and buy real guns
  • Arm the teachers and buy more real guns

The NRAs answer is ALWAYS going to be "buy more guns" because that is what they are being PAID to say by the gun manufacturers.

yeah yeah, so what if they are..
Planned Parenthood is there to drum up money to pay for abortions

You must've made the Dean's List at the school of false equivalencies. 3% of what PP does is Abortions. The money from gun lobbyists outpaced membership dues for the NRA a long time ago.

Link?

btw, if you buy LaPierre's premise that playing violent video games is one of the causes of this problem,

wouldn't it then logically be appropriate to deny firearm purchases to anyone who plays violent video games?

Eh? Never thought of that one did you? LOLOL

Great point!

A few folks on the gun control side have brought up how bombings have stopped after Oklahoma City. At least where I live, access to diesel fuel and nitrogen fertilizer is the same. Restricting it isn't what has changed. What has changed is the effort to identify those who might want access for killing purposes.

That is why I think mental health is the best path along with public willingness to ID people they think pose a risk. Every time it seems like the story is the same, he was a loner, fascination with weapons, recent purchases of guns, personality changes. People notice, but do nothing. THAT is where we can make the easiest, fastest and most effective change.
What about some of the people that post here? I'm being serious, some of them sound like crazed crack pots....should they be reported?

Aside from that, what kind of psychological test do you think should be given to potential gun buyers?

I'm quite certain a few of you paranoid, pantywaisted liberals have ALREADY done that...

Driver education is disappearing too. Why are schools getting rid of such programs? Because of the conservative anti-tax obsession.

Schools have ended almost ALL life skills classes. Now when they want money the first thing they throw out are bus transportation and sports programs. It is basically using programs students and parents like or need as leverage to extort money.
Very true, no home ec, no wood shop, etc. People have been defunding education for years. Maybe the resulting impact is affecting people's mental health by making them feel helpless without basic skills.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

:eusa_eh:

yeah yeah, so what if they are..
Planned Parenthood is there to drum up money to pay for abortions

You must've made the Dean's List at the school of false equivalencies. 3% of what PP does is Abortions. The money from gun lobbyists outpaced membership dues for the NRA a long time ago.

Link?

From Wiki:

Planned Parenthood is the largest U.S. provider of reproductive health services, including cancer screening, HIV screening and counseling, contraception, and abortion.[3][4][5] Contraception accounts for 35% of PPFA's total services and abortions account for 3%; PPFA conducts roughly 300,000 abortions each year, among 3 million people served.[6][7][8]

images

In Israel it is not a RIGHT to own a firearm. You must provide a reason for needing one. Israel is not the gun toting utopia ya'll seem to think it is.

With all due respect, could we not reduce the huge government run TSA program? You know. The one that mandates agents to frisk 98 year old ladies and children in wheelchairs?

Re appropriate the funds to local governments to disburse to school security?

Isn't there any pork anywhere that couldn't be cut to provide security to the nation's children? All this hullabaloo about saving children from obesity and financing schools to buy arugala vs providing children a safe place to learn?

Can you guys be consistent please?

TSA agents have guns. You guys love that.
They keep us safe. you guys love that

The TSA is just the solution the NRA is advocating

Wait a minute...when did they start arming the TSA?

I used to go to a high school that had a police officer assigned to it as a "liaison". It put the appropriate fear into most kids who cut up, but if someone really wants to shoot up a school and they already know there's going to be someone armed there. It's either going to break their resolve or harden it. They'll either end up not going through with it or they'll just make better plans. Depends entirely on the intent of that person.

In general, I personally think arming schools should be a state decision.

When you build a better mousetrap, eventually nature builds a better mouse.

If more guns are the answer to all this gun violence, how come more drugs isn't the answer to our drug problem? Why isn't more trans fats the answer to our obesity problem?

Math question: How are 300,000 abortions 3% of the people served by PP, if they supposedly serve 3,000,000? Looks like 10% to me.

Trade one overpaid, underworked 'administrator' at each school for each guard and NO taxes need be raised.

So you want an unfunded federal mandate to put guards in every school.

lol, conservatives are funny.

My business is dealing with public schools in all 50 states.

I spend a LOT of time talking to both classroom teachers and administrators, and both groups admit to a lot of 'topheaviness'.

Trading an EXTRA glorified bookkeeper for an armed guard is NOT 'unfunded', Beaner, and it gets the job done.

You're also the guy who said that Lanza's mother should have been able to legally own machine guns.

When I was kid, you generally outgrew your desire to run around with fake military guns, playing 'army',

at about puberty.

Nowadays the nuts have turned it into an adult sport.

Dear Libs:

If you are truly interested in giving school children the same protection as people on airplanes, shopping malls, etc., why are you opposed to armed guards at schools? Are you more interested in pushing your gun control agenda than protecting these children? Isn't your ultimate aim to remove all weapons from society, thus leaving your paternalistic government in control of other people's lives? What has turned you into such control freaks?

Forum List

Back