Number of Americans living paycheck to paycheck jumps 7 percent, report shows

No it doesn't.

Angell memorial is one of the most expensive places to get care.

Harvard is set up as a nonprofit too but yet they have some of the highest tuition rates in the country not to mention and endowment worth billions.

You don't even understand that so called nonprofits are not banned from making a profit

Of course it does!!! If you're poor and cannot afford ACL surgery for your dog, Angell will still do the surgery. My client would charge around $7k for it back then. It adds up quickly. In affluent areas people pay a lot to treat their pets. It was four clinics and one animal hospital (open 24/7/365). One trip to the ER and you're paying $150 just to walk in. You don't know shit. You really are an idiot. Amazing.
And yet you won;t say exactly how many full time equivalent veterinarians this guy supposedly employed.

And all these vets just magically earn many multiples of the national average in revenue for the owner

You're full of shit

Federal employees already earn more, on average, than private employees, and their benefits are far and away superior

This is not really accurate. Fed Employees without a degree tend to make more than private employees, but those with a Masters or above make less. But the benefits are normally better that is true.

The last thing they need is a Union -

This is true.

Learn to quote the post you’re replying to. It’s not difficult. Are you very young?

He's as young as my father if I remember correctly, and Pop is 90 years old. I tried to explain for him how to use quotes but I don't think he understands.

So then ray you want Americans working for low wages. You are a believer in low wages, low benefits, sand willfully cheer watching working people struggle just so YOU can get your stuff for cheap.

This is not about me, I'm just explaining reality to you. Back in the 80's people began to become very frugal. This was especially true after the recession. Prior to that the American consumer was more focused on quality. We traded quality for price which is how Walmart became number one.

I got my first apartment at the age of 20 back in 1980. I wanted the best television money could buy, so I went to the Curtis Mathis store (yes they had their own store back then) and I purchased a 25" console television. I had to get a loan from the bank because the unit cost $1,500 which is like $4,500 today. It was on back order so it took a week or so before they could even deliver it so many people were buying the brand because like me, everybody wanted the best quality.

For the same money today I can buy a 85" super high definition smart TV that can blue tooth your computer or cell phone. Why so cheap? It's probably made in China.

It works like this: You and I both own widget factories. I pay my employees to make widgets whatever it takes to get them to work. Your widget factory is union and it costs you twice as much in wages and benefits to meet union demands. Now we go to sell our widgets to Walmart, Amazon, or Home Depot. You can sell them widgets for $12.00 each. I can sell them for $8.00 a piece and even make more profit than you. Because of that, I'm going to put your widget factory out of business in less than a year. The only way you could compete against me is if you move out of state, out of the country, or do whatever it takes to get rid of that union of yours.

That's why outside of government (which of course is a monopoly) unions are a thing of the past. People would sooner work a lower wage job than have no job at all.

The worst are the public unions - like the ones for federal government employees. They use taxpayer dollars to fight for more taxpayer-funded salaries. Another topic…..

Correct. They sit in the room to negotiate. One says I'll raise wages for your department by X (wink wink) the union negotiator says no, we need XX (wink wink) they both leave laughing their ass off because they were on the same side all along.

He's as young as my father if I remember correctly, and Pop is 90 years old. I tried to explain for him how to use quotes but I don't think he understands.
That explains it. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but hey….at least he is on the computer. My 90+ mother gets a blank look in her eyes when you say “Internet” or “online.”

Correct. They sit in the room to negotiate. One says I'll raise wages for your department by X (wink wink) the union negotiator says no, we need XX (wink wink) they both leave laughing their ass off because they were on the same side all along.
And they earn a fortune too. I know someone who works for her agency’s union, and she’s a GS 14 step 10. Last time I looked, that was close to $150,000. And even before COVID, she “worked” from home 3 days a week, and on the days she has to commute in, she got a Metro subsidy. Plus, she will get a lifetime, inflation-protected pension of close to $100,000 a year.

And then she complains to me how awful feds have it, and how we taxpayers need to protect them from….us, I guess.

On the Fed level at least, wages are set by Congress and the unions have no power in that area other than lobbying. it is not like a private union where they can negotiate wages between the union and the employer directly.

The VA nurses have a union, and it is pretty much useless outside of keeping shitty nurses from being let go.

Plus, she will get a lifetime, inflation-protected pension of close to $100,000 a year.

If she is making 150 grand a year she would have to work for the Govt for 60 years to get 100 grand a year in retirement.

It is a simple calculation. Salary x years of service x 1.1%. at 150,000 grand right now if she retired at 20 years she would get 33,000 a year. At 30 years with the Govt she would get 49,500. At 60 years of Govt service she would get 99,000.

And they earn a fortune too. I know someone who works for her agency’s union, and she’s a GS 14 step 10. Last time I looked, that was close to $150,000. And even before COVID, she “worked” from home 3 days a week, and on the days she has to commute in, she got a Metro subsidy. Plus, she will get a lifetime, inflation-protected pension of close to $100,000 a year.

And then she complains to me how awful feds have it, and how we taxpayers need to protect them from….us, I guess.

Two of my former coworkers worked for our small company. One worked for the county and retired at 55. The other worked for the city of Cleveland as a police officer and retired at the same age.

People in our age bracket were set by government to retire at the age of 67. The police officer got no health benefits after he left the force but the county worker gets healthcare for the rest of his life. He not only gets paid for 12 years longer than a private sector worker but doesn't have to worry about private healthcare insurance or Medicare. Like Lush said the pay is on level with similar positions in the private sector, but I think any worker would love to retire at 55 and enjoy life a little. These two guys loved working apparently.

That explains it. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but hey….at least he is on the computer. My 90+ mother gets a blank look in her eyes when you say “Internet” or “online.”

Same here. AT&T had to hook my mother up to the internet to get cable television. I told my 87 year old mother she could have my old computer if she wanted it since she's hooked up already. She asked what in hell she would do with it?

Dad on the other hand is always playing with is iPhone 6. I'm so proud of him for being able to work that thing at his age. I give him a lot of credit. He keeps saying his phone said this or his phone said that. I keep trying to explain to him the phone doesn't do much. It only connects you to the internet and it's the internet that's doing all these wonderful things for you, but he keeps thinking all that power is in the phone.

His much younger girlfriend has a laptop and I told him he would be better off reading his news and points of interest on her computer, but he just loves that iPhone of his. :badgrin:

Same here. AT&T had to hook my mother up to the internet to get cable television. I told my 87 year old mother she could have my old computer if she wanted it since she's hooked up already. She asked what in hell she would do with it?

Dad on the other hand is always playing with is iPhone 6. I'm so proud of him for being able to work that thing at his age. I give him a lot of credit. He keeps saying his phone said this or his phone said that. I keep trying to explain to him the phone doesn't do much. It only connects you to the internet and it's the internet that's doing all these wonderful things for you, but he keeps thinking all that power is in the phone.

His much younger girlfriend has a laptop and I told him he would be better off reading his news and points of interest on her computer, but he just loves that iPhone of his. :badgrin:
Yup….similar stories. My mother wouldn’t even sit behind a computer to read her email (after someone else has opened it for her). My dad, may he RIP, was doing all his bill-paying and investment management online, booking travel, conducting research, reading news, etc., etc., all well past his 90th birthday. (He had a technical degree, so that might explain it somewhat.)

No it doesn't.

Angell memorial is one of the most expensive places to get care.

Harvard is set up as a nonprofit too but yet they have some of the highest tuition rates in the country not to mention and endowment worth billions.

You don't even understand that so called nonprofits are not banned from making a profit
Do you live here? No it isn't. Not even close. LOL

NFPs get preferential tax status and its not "profit" they make but a change in assets. LOL

And yet you won;t say exactly how many full time equivalent veterinarians this guy supposedly employed.

And all these vets just magically earn many multiples of the national average in revenue for the owner

You're full of shit
This was over 10 years ago. How would I remember this. The number was ~60 range not close to 100. There is a difference between vet and surgeon. That breakdown I cannot recall. You're dummy

At no time in American history have we had a workforce as hard working and productive as we do now. Some of you reiterate the same old talking points.
"Get trained"....people are getting trained.
"The rich provide jobs".... Yes a few do. But workers must fight for things. Working hard will get one only barely ahead.
What we are going to witness is workers waking up and standing against employers when they have had enough. It's long overdue and a help to the nation. A good worker today is ready to quit a job immediately to go into a better situation. This is great for the employer and employee.

Number of Americans living paycheck to paycheck jumps 7 percent, report shows

(The Center Square) – A growing number of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck despite increasing wages, a newly released report found.
PYMNTS and Lending Club released the report, which says that 61% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, an increase of 7 points since May 2021. The report also found 54% of Baby Boomers and seniors are living paycheck to paycheck.

OP comment: Thanks Joe, you keep ruining Americans lives a home and abroad.
Old but true

Forum List

Back