Obama Administration Shuts Down 100 Year Old Oyster Farm This Week

Sad to hear ...., I love oysters.... on crackers....with a glass of white wine.

They probably did not proclaim that they had nothing to do with the success of the business.
If they acknowledged that government was totally responsible for all aspects of the success
of the business and thanked Obama they might have had a chance.

I may be wrong....
But maybe I'm not. :eusa_shhh:

There is more to this story....

"The California Coastal Commission voted unanimously on February 7th to issue a unilateral Cease and Desist Order against the Drakes Bay Oyster Company (DBOC). The Coastal Commission's Order states that, “DBOC violated multiple provisions of the 2007 Consent Order, through its actions and its failures to act,” including for ongoing unpermitted development, violations of harbor seal protection requirements, failure to control significant amounts of its plastic that has polluted the marine environment, failure to pay fines imposed in 2009 for illegal activities, and failure to correct ongoing violations of the California Coastal Act despite repeated notices from the Commission."

Coastal Commission Issues Cease & Desist Order Against Drakes Bay Oyster Company : Indybay

I liked the story better when Obama was the bad guy....

Party loyalists always like to make it personal no matter what party it is they are loyal to.

It looks to me like environmentalists would like this to be a wildlife preserve and those who are in the oyster business would like to continue their business.

California restaurants will back up the oyster farmers, and the environmentalists will back the government.

I predict that when it is all over the oyster farmers will win because they provide a service and help the economy and that seems to win over conservation in many instances.

Party loyalists always like to make it personal no matter what party it is they are loyal to.

It looks to me like environmentalists would like this to be a wildlife preserve and those who are in the oyster business would like to continue their business.

California restaurants will back up the oyster farmers, and the environmentalists will back the government.

I predict that when it is all over the oyster farmers will win because they provide a service and help the economy and that seems to win over conservation in many instances.

so Salazar was a environmentalist?

Another Mission Accomplished Jobs Destroying Moment for the Obama Administration. The only things missing is a cynical and exploitative ObamaPhotoOp.

This is so sad. Drakes Bay Oysters have been part of the local cuisine for ages. They will be sorely missed. And how awful for the folks who are losing their livelihoods.

Absolutely shameful of the Feds.

So did I, however, I have no compassion when someone steps on their own dick. New management is in order; jobs and oyster chomping restored.

Another Mission Accomplished Jobs Destroying Moment for the Obama Administration. The only things missing is a cynical and exploitative ObamaPhotoOp.

This is so sad. Drakes Bay Oysters have been part of the local cuisine for ages. They will be sorely missed. And how awful for the folks who are losing their livelihoods.

yeah. It was just an arbitrary decision.

"The California Coastal Commission voted unanimously on February 7th to issue a unilateral Cease and Desist Order against the Drakes Bay Oyster Company (DBOC). The Coastal Commission's Order states that, “DBOC violated multiple provisions of the 2007 Consent Order, through its actions and its failures to act,” including for ongoing unpermitted development, violations of harbor seal protection requirements, failure to control significant amounts of its plastic that has polluted the marine environment, failure to pay fines imposed in 2009 for illegal activities, and failure to correct ongoing violations of the California Coastal Act despite repeated notices from the Commission."

Coastal Commission Issues Cease & Desist Order Against Drakes Bay Oyster Company : Indybay

He is not even working for the feds anymore.

He was a faction of the government, just like the Judge is who ruled in court

Judge upholds removal of Calif. oyster farm

A federal judge on Monday denied a Northern California oyster farm's request to have its removal from Point Reyes National Seashore overturned, and ruled against allowing it to continue doing business in the park while its lawsuit is being heard in court.

The judge denied owner Kevin Lunny's request to void Interior Secretary Ken Salazar's refusal to renew the historic oyster farm's lease for another 10 years.

The rulings dealt a blow to the popular Drakes Bay Oyster Co.'s last-ditch effort to remain in business beyond its March 15 eviction date.

Point Reyes National Seashore was added to the national parks system by Congress in 1962, and protects more than 80 miles of California coastline. It is managed by the National Park Service, which is part of the Interior Department.

Judge upholds removal of Calif. oyster farm - Local News - Sacramento, CA | NBC News

Congress: Salazar, in denying Lunny's request to extend the lease, said the land should be returned to wilderness status as Congress decided in the 1976 Point Reyes Wilderness Act. He ordered Lunny to remove all of the farm's property from the pristine waters of the Drakes Estero.

A federal judge on Monday denied a Northern California oyster farm's request to have its removal from Point Reyes National Seashore overturned, and ruled against allowing it to continue doing business in the park while its lawsuit is being heard in court.

The judge denied owner Kevin Lunny's request to void Interior Secretary Ken Salazar's refusal to renew the historic oyster farm's lease for another 10 years.

The rulings dealt a blow to the popular Drakes Bay Oyster Co.'s last-ditch effort to remain in business beyond its March 15 eviction date.

Point Reyes National Seashore was added to the national parks system by Congress in 1962, and protects more than 80 miles of California coastline. It is managed by the National Park Service, which is part of the Interior Department.

Judge upholds removal of Calif. oyster farm - Local News - Sacramento, CA | NBC News

Congress: Salazar, in denying Lunny's request to extend the lease, said the land should be returned to wilderness status as Congress decided in the 1976 Point Reyes Wilderness Act. He ordered Lunny to remove all of the farm's property from the pristine waters of the Drakes Estero.

Doesn't matter he is no longer in government, he could of made a different decision on all this

Last edited:

Doesn't matter he is no longer in government, he is the one who got the ball rolling on this?

I would assume environmental lobbyists and it started back in the 1960's.

Any issue has a history and if you look deep enough and cut through political parties you will see what the issue is.

Whoever replaces Salazar will do whatever the job description calls for.

Are you concerned about the oyster farm and what the issues are over it, or are you just looking for one person to blame about the whole issue?

yeah. It was just an arbitrary decision.

That is hardly the full story. Ken Salazar ordered the closer.

As it is now, Interior Secretary Kenneth Salazar has ordered the Drake's Bay operation shut down by Feb. 28, but farm supporters say that order is illegal.

In 1976, Congress designated the larger Drake's Estero a future protected wilderness area. And last November, Salazar announced the National Park Service would not renew the oyster operation's lease to fulfill that 36 year old commitment.

It's a move supported by several Bay Area environmental groups.

"They just bought the place seven years ago; they were well aware of the deadline and now it's time to return this place to taxpayers and all of us who own this property and would like to see the marine wilderness protected," National Parks Conservation Association spokesperson Neal Desai said.

If the oyster farm closes, 31 employees will lose their jobs. About half of those live on the property and they would have to move.

"This is a big part of our community; we're going to lose a lot of jobs there, we're going to lose a clean, sustainable source of food," former employee Millie Biller said.

In her questioning Friday, the judge here seemed to be focusing on whether her court has jurisdiction to review a discretionary decision made by Salazar. She did not indicate when her written ruling will be issued...

Owner of Drakes Bay Oyster Company takes fight to stay open to federal court | abc7news.com

Forum List

Back