Obama complained to Argentina that Americans are clueless with poor foreign language skills

Not learning another language or 2 is the perfect example of the dumbing down of this country.
Also it's one of the prime reason for the term ugly American.
How many languages do you speak?

You don't have to be multi lingual to avoid the term "ugly American". All you really have to do is put a phrase book in your pocket and use it when you go out. It's not being able to speak another language fluently that gets you around better, it's simply making the effort to try that does. Like I said, over 80 percent of the people not from the USA speak English.

I never learned to speak any language fluently, but I do know some phrases in Italian, Spanish, Greek, and a couple of others. Learned them from using the phrase book to get around while I was overseas, and some of them like "please", "thank you", and "where is", are some that I memorized because I used them so often.

Walking up to someone overseas and asking in a loud, slow voice "Do you speak English", and waiting for them to respond in English is how you get labeled an ugly American.
I had exactly the same experiences!

I found that when I at least made an effort to speak the native language, I was treated incredibly well. The people really appreciated it.

Because of that, I saw places and did things no one else in my command experienced.

Not learning another language or 2 is the perfect example of the dumbing down of this country.

You don't have to be multi lingual to avoid the term "ugly American". All you really have to do is put a phrase book in your pocket and use it when you go out. It's not being able to speak another language fluently that gets you around better, it's simply making the effort to try that does. Like I said, over 80 percent of the people not from the USA speak English.

I never learned to speak any language fluently, but I do know some phrases in Italian, Spanish, Greek, and a couple of others. Learned them from using the phrase book to get around while I was overseas, and some of them like "please", "thank you", and "where is", are some that I memorized because I used them so often.

Walking up to someone overseas and asking in a loud, slow voice "Do you speak English", and waiting for them to respond in English is how you get labeled an ugly American.

I found that when I at least made an effort to speak the native language, I was treated incredibly well. The people really appreciated it.

Because of that, I saw places and did things no one else in my command experienced.

Thank you! And it was because I tried to speak their language, and yeah, they DID appreciate that I made an effort.

However, sometimes they will mess with you though. One of my favorite things to do was to go off the ship and wander around aimlessly until I got myself lost, and then I would try to find my way back using my phrase book. One time, I ran into a couple of dudes in Spain, and after a couple of minutes, they told me that they spoke English, and asked if they could use me for practice. We stopped into a bar, and the bartender there was a stunning looking woman. I asked the guys how I would tell her that she is a very beautiful lady, and they gave me some phrase that I'd never heard before.

So, with my biggest smile, I turned around and said what they had told me to say. She looked at me with a combination of horror and disgust, meanwhile the guys behind me were laughing their asses off. They then went over to her and told her they had been playing a joke on me (because I didn't speak the language), and she then laughed as well and we all had a really good time afterwards.

In Thessaloniki Greece, it got me a 10 percent discount on some Roces off road roller blades, simply because I made the effort.

Thank you! And it was because I tried to speak their language, and yeah, they DID appreciate that I made an effort.

However, sometimes they will mess with you though. One of my favorite things to do was to go off the ship and wander around aimlessly until I got myself lost, and then I would try to find my way back using my phrase book. One time, I ran into a couple of dudes in Spain, and after a couple of minutes, they told me that they spoke English, and asked if they could use me for practice. We stopped into a bar, and the bartender there was a stunning looking woman. I asked the guys how I would tell her that she is a very beautiful lady, and they gave me some phrase that I'd never heard before.

So, with my biggest smile, I turned around and said what they had told me to say. She looked at me with a combination of horror and disgust, meanwhile the guys behind me were laughing their asses off. They then went over to her and told her they had been playing a joke on me (because I didn't speak the language), and she then laughed as well and we all had a really good time afterwards.

In Thessaloniki Greece, it got me a 10 percent discount on some Roces off road roller blades, simply because I made the effort.

You know, there is a bit of truth to this, and I've experienced it firsthand.

Whenever I went overseas, one of the very first things that I did was get a phrase book for whatever country we happened to be in. I would take that phrase book with me and instead of going up to a person and asking them in slow English if they spoke English (like most of the people on the boat did), I would walk up with my phrase book and try to speak to them in their language. After all, I was the foreigner there.

What I found out later, was that over 80 percent of the people overseas actually DO speak English, and many of them are happy to practice their English with you, but they like it when you make an effort to communicate in their language. Usually, they would let me stumble around for a couple of minutes, but then would cheerfully tell me they spoke English, and ask if I preferred to speak that.

I also saw many of my shipmates go looking for places like Pizza Hut, KFC, Burger King and McDonalds instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to sample food that isn't known over here in the USA, or would cost them a lot of money at a fancy eatery, because foreign cuisine is generally only served at high dollar places (at least the good stuff).

I also saw them making fun of people over there for doing things that Americans considered "strange" or "unusual", like Middle Eastern men walking down the street holding hands if they were friends, simply because they didn't take time to learn about some of the customs that were there.

No, sorry to say, but very few Americans are interested in speaking to someone in another country in their native language, or even learning about some of the customs of that country.

Got over 20 years of experience with that, and saw it first hand quite often.

That could be said about any nationality. Very few illegals are interested in learning English.

When I was a kid, a German couple stopped at our local store to get directions and it's a good thing my grandma happened to be there, because they didn't speak a lick of English and didn't even have a phrase book.
Don't you mean stone tablet?

That's a pretty stupid comment. Are you displaying your sudo-intellectualism?
That's called a joke, humor is a sign of intelligence .
Btw it's pseudo not sudo.

Whenever I went overseas, one of the very first things that I did was get a phrase book for whatever country we happened to be in. I would take that phrase book with me and instead of going up to a person and asking them in slow English if they spoke English (like most of the people on the boat did), I would walk up with my phrase book and try to speak to them in their language. After all, I was the foreigner there.

What I found out later, was that over 80 percent of the people overseas actually DO speak English, and many of them are happy to practice their English with you, but they like it when you make an effort to communicate in their language. Usually, they would let me stumble around for a couple of minutes, but then would cheerfully tell me they spoke English, and ask if I preferred to speak that.

I also saw many of my shipmates go looking for places like Pizza Hut, KFC, Burger King and McDonalds instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to sample food that isn't known over here in the USA, or would cost them a lot of money at a fancy eatery, because foreign cuisine is generally only served at high dollar places (at least the good stuff).

I also saw them making fun of people over there for doing things that Americans considered "strange" or "unusual", like Middle Eastern men walking down the street holding hands if they were friends, simply because they didn't take time to learn about some of the customs that were there.

No, sorry to say, but very few Americans are interested in speaking to someone in another country in their native language, or even learning about some of the customs of that country.

That could be said about any nationality. Very few illegals are interested in learning English.

When I was a kid, a German couple stopped at our local store to get directions and it's a good thing my grandma happened to be there, because they didn't speak a lick of English and didn't even have a phrase book.

Sudo was humor, too. I guess the joke's on you...lol

Of course it was dear.

Of course it was dear.

Missed the comma, my friend.

Of course it was dear.

Punctuation nazi ploy.
Desperate are we?

Of course it was dear.

Punctuation nazi ploy.
Desperate are we?

You started it, sport and Nazi is a proper noun.

Of course it was dear.

Punctuation nazi ploy.
Desperate are we?

You started it, sport and Nazi is a proper noun.
And?

What a snobbish asshole, that's a lot of balls for a loser who's resume was blank before he went on the public dole.
Proof?

Show us his resume.
Who is us?
Argumentum ad populum fallicy.
But anyway.
http://www.biography.com/people/barack-obama-12782369#education

All of us that know there isn't shit on Obama's resume. Believe it, or not, "community organizer", isn't a real job.

What a snobbish asshole, that's a lot of balls for a loser who's resume was blank before he went on the public dole.
Proof?

Show us his resume.
Who is us?
But anyway.

All of us that know there isn't shit on Obama's resume. Believe it, or not, "community organizer", isn't a real job.
Argumentum ad populum and argument from ignorance fallicies.
Wanna try for the trifecta?

Proof?

Show us his resume.
Who is us?
But anyway.

It's a fact; community organizer isn't a real job.

False!
Job Marketplace - Organizers for America
Decent pay and health insurance
Look like a real job to me , it also looks as always you're talking out your ass.

False!
Look like a real job to me , it also looks as always you're talking out your ass.

I guess that means, "snake oil salesman", is a real job, or, "carbon credit salesman".

Who is us?
But anyway.

False!

I guess that means, "snake oil salesman", is a real job, or, "carbon credit salesman".
As real as any jobs you've ever had.

Forum List

Back