Obama issues 17 pardons

17 people with their 2nd Amendment rights restored and one had a firearms violation. Ain't this country great.

Would you like to see this policy stopped?

YES!!!

This is probably the worst single thing of its sort in the Country. The idea that a President can just usurp the will of a judge or jury is craziness.

There are special circumstances where this is a necessary power. I'm not for getting rid of it.

And I'll bet you supported how Bush used this power, or any Republican for that matter.

My problem is when a President uses the power to pardon to enrich themself as Clinton did with the Marc Rich pardon.

Otherwise, I usuallydon't know enough about the case to make a comment one way or the other. So I don't.

Would you like to see this policy stopped?

YES!!!

This is probably the worst single thing of its sort in the Country. The idea that a President can just usurp the will of a judge or jury is craziness.

There are special circumstances where this is a necessary power. I'm not for getting rid of it.

That I totally agree with. No matter how well designed the mechanism, it was designed by man so there is room for error be it a clock, a car, or a system of justice.

But to have the will of one person be able to usurp the decisions of another who were almost without exception more intimately involved in the finding of fact is a bizarrely stupid rule to have on the books in 2013 America.

I think you should take the 3 most senior members of the Supreme Court, make them the pardon committee and once every 6 months or whenever, consider petitions for pardons.

The power is necessary. It is in the wrong hands. Another one the founders got wrong.

They were human and thusly infallible, right?

YES!!!

That I totally agree with. No matter how well designed the mechanism, it was designed by man so there is room for error be it a clock, a car, or a system of justice.

But to have the will of one person be able to usurp the decisions of another who were almost without exception more intimately involved in the finding of fact is a bizarrely stupid rule to have on the books in 2013 America.

I think you should take the 3 most senior members of the Supreme Court, make them the pardon committee and once every 6 months or whenever, consider petitions for pardons.

The power is necessary. It is in the wrong hands. Another one the founders got wrong.

The Founders were kinda counting on US; informed, intelligent American citizens, to not vote in THAT caliber of person.

Let's face it, America has been and continues to be a cheap date in the voting booth. :eusa_whistle:

Possession of an unregistered firearm- pardoned? So much for Hussein's concern about illegal weapons. Oh wait , it's OK to violate firearms laws if you are well connected.

The Founders were kinda counting on US; informed, intelligent American citizens, to not vote in THAT caliber of person.

Let's face it, America has been and continues to be a cheap date in the voting booth. :eusa_whistle:

We get the government we deserve. That has been true since day one and an apathetic electorate is a poor public servant's best friend; and in many ways an accomplice.

Possession of an unregistered firearm- pardoned? So much for Hussein's concern about illegal weapons. Oh wait , it's OK to violate firearms laws if you are well connected.

In MOST states registration is not required.

Reading the codes under which Thornton was convicted, it was probably a home-made weapon of some sort.

It could have been something akin to making a potato gun for all we know.

Forum List

Back