Obama Seems Intent On Finally Closing Gitmo For Good

Do You Support The Closing of Guantanamo Bay?

• No, Let those foreign bastards rot

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Yes, It's Un-American for that place to exist

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
Is Gitmo considered Cuba? Or is it considered America?

If the former, I'd like to know since when have America and Cuba been partners.

Marc,

An old instructor pilot of mine gave me some good advice: "Don't ask a question that has an answer written down. It makes you look ______" (unprepared).

With a tiny bit of effort, you could have answered your own question and perhaps understood the relationship between the several governments of Cuba since the Spanish American War and now with the U.S. and the subsequent treaties and agreements we've had since.

With most U.S. military bases overseas, there is a Status of Forces Agreement, (S.O.F.A.). The relationship with CUBA's current government is a bit muddy. Once again, this is easily researched:

"The issue of returning Guantánamo to Cuba is complicated by the agreement signed by Batista in 1934. The agreement states: “Until the two Contracting Parties agree to the modification or abrogation of the stipulations of the agreement in regard to the lease to the United States of America of lands in Cuba for coaling and naval stations… the stipulations of that Agreement with regard to the naval station of Guantánamo shall continue in effect.”

Since the communists took over, we've agreed to disagree. Is GITMO considered America? Obama thinks it is and has been acting on that position going on his 5th year as POTUS.
Thanks for that answer.

We're all here posting, communicating with one another. Some things I can and will research some things I won't/can't. I'm no expert on the Cuban relationship. I'm chiming in here and there while at work, barely enough time to post, so you can understand why I may not have time to research.

It's legitimate to ask questions. And I take what you posted at face value although you did not cite a source, that's kinda the purpose of a forum. To communicate, ask questions, give answers, debate, etc. So, going forward, try not to berate me, or others, for using this forum (or any) as it's intended.

Thanks again. Sincerely.

Last edited:
I think he will?

Do you think he'll succeed?

Do you want him to be successful in that endeavor?

Obama’s intent is irrelevant, Congress has the final say.

And many republicans in Congress will work to keep that festering sore of a National disgrace open only to spite the president.

Because the executive decision doesnt include being able to put them in prison in the US, dumbazz dupes.

Anyway....there were 600 prisoners in 2009, now 166. And 40 have been proven totally innocent, and could be sent to their home countries soon.Bush's renditions have been cut to almost nothing- ditto torture. Feq hypocrite greedy a-hole Pubs and their arrogant, functional moron, dupes.
The Republican position on this is so disingenuous it's not funny. Look at the poll results, extrapolate that to the gen pop and you have a good idea why Obama didn't take the King route and just did it anyway. He even said as much.

The Republicans don't want him to do it, while at the same time bash him for not doing it, because that was something he campaigned about.

It's evident and crystal clear to see in every, single RW post, and even in some fellow LWers...surprisingly.

Keep it up RWers, you're not fooling anyone.

The Republicans don't want him to do it, while at the same time bash him for not doing it, because that was something he campaigned about.

It's evident and crystal clear to see in every, single RW post, and even in some fellow LWers...surprisingly.

Well, it is a problem, that Obama made all these promises about closing Gitmo and also getting out of all the pointless losing wars, but he delayed and delayed about Iraq and is STILL in Afghanistan. And never has closed Gitmo!!

Why is that all right with you? I mean, it's a pile of lies, and that's not all right with me ----- he campaigned on these promises, then abrogated them as soon as he got into the White House!! That seems very bad character to me, pure lying to get into office.

I actually believed he would get out of the wars in a timely way, but he didn't. I don't understand why all this lying by Obama is okay with you. Is it simply because he's black, so anything he does is fine? Would it be okay if he'd made all these lying promises he didn't keep if he were a white Democrat? A white Republican? A black Republican?

I'm trying to work out what are the circumstances in which you are willing to overlook gross lying by politicians to get into office, with no intention of carrying out the promises.

Last edited:

Well, it is a problem, that Obama made all these promises about closing Gitmo and also getting out of all the pointless losing wars, but he delayed and delayed about Iraq and is STILL in Afghanistan. And never has closed Gitmo!!

Why is that all right with you? I mean, it's a pile of lies, and that's not all right with me ----- he campaigned on these promises, then abrogated them as soon as he got into the White House!! That seems very bad character to me, pure lying to get into office.

I actually believed he would get out of the wars in a timely way, but he didn't. I don't understand why all this lying by Obama is okay with you. Is it simply because he's black, so anything he does is fine? Would it be okay if he'd made all these lying promises he didn't keep if he were a white Democrat? A white Republican? A black Republican?

I'm trying to work out what are the circumstances in which you are willing to overlook gross lying by politicians to get into office, with no intention of carrying out the promises.
See what I mean?

lol:lol:

See what I mean?

lol:lol:

No, I don't see. That's why I am asking you to explain. I am asking you WHY you are willing to excuse lying by your pol to get into office, when he apparently had no intention of keeping ANY of his campaign promises, and didn't. I want to know if that's all right with you, and if it is all right, why?

Are you able to answer coherently, or are you just a low-IQ type who sneers on forums because your thought processes are poor and you can't really write or talk?

If you are too stupid to be able to manage ideas, that's okay, I'll just delete you like I do all the stupids, but you started a poll, so I thought maybe you were a little brighter than some of the one-line misspellers here. If not, not ---- most people are on the wrong side of the Bell Curve, after all.

Funny how selective Republicans are. They point to PEW research until PEW says only 6% of scientists are Republican. Then they hate PEW. A bunch of stinking liars.

Then they say everyone should listen to the Generals, until the Generals say close GITMO, then they are just stupid sheep blindly following the Commander in Chief. Republicans have an answer for everything.

so Dean....can you actually post something without mentioning Republicans?....when you piss on the toilet seat do you blame Republicans?....

Hard for a pussy to piss on the toilet seat. He does however blame Republicans when he gets his period.

Yes, I have a tube/ camera put there every year- it's far from torture. I don't hate anybody, see sig last line- most of my friends are dupes- THIS IS A POLITICAL MESSAGE BOARD.- I hate their STUPID, brainwashed ideas. This whole line is pathetic. Change the channel, dupes.

every year Franco?.....its supposed to be around every 3 years if you had polyps.....are you sure you are not doing this yearly out of enjoyment?.....:eusa_eh:

No he didn't, dupe. LOL Even when he got it, after 5 months, the Pub Propaganda machine fear mongered it so bad the Blue dogs wouldn't do it. Only had 5 months, actually 13 DAYS in session, etc etc. MORON.

I love the way you keep blaming Republicans for what Democrats did.

Feel free to neg rep blanco. I do from time to time simply because he is a moron wasting bandwidth.

Funny how selective Republicans are. They point to PEW research until PEW says only 6% of scientists are Republican. Then they hate PEW. A bunch of stinking liars.

Then they say everyone should listen to the Generals, until the Generals say close GITMO, then they are just stupid sheep blindly following the Commander in Chief. Republicans have an answer for everything.

so Dean....can you actually post something without mentioning Republicans?....when you piss on the toilet seat do you blame Republicans?....

Hard for a pussy to piss on the toilet seat. He does however blame Republicans when he gets his period.

is Dean a Woman?.....:eek:

As long as we are still fighting a war on terror I say leave it open.

America is at war with these Islamist militants. They are enemy combatants. You can not
house enemy combatants in civilian prisons. Guantanamo Bay dentention center is needed. We need a place were we can extract info from people who have declared war on America. Guantanamo is the place were this can be done legally.
Obama and his administration is out of touch with the modern world today.
If he closes Guantanamo, American penitentiaries will become the recruiting grounds.

As long as we are still fighting a war on terror I say leave it open.

America is at war with these Islamist militants. They are enemy combatants. You can not
house enemy combatants in civilian prisons. Guantanamo Bay dentention center is needed. We need a place were we can extract info from people who have declared war on America. Guantanamo is the place were this can be done legally.
Obama and his administration is out of touch with the modern world today.
If he closes Guantanamo, American penitentiaries will become the recruiting grounds.

I don't agree with you often but you nailed it here, spot on.

Forum List

Back