Obama Seems Intent On Finally Closing Gitmo For Good

Do You Support The Closing of Guantanamo Bay?

• No, Let those foreign bastards rot

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Yes, It's Un-American for that place to exist

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
I think he will?

Do you think he'll succeed?

Do you want him to be successful in that endeavor?

What makes you think he is intent on doing that?

What actions has he taken recently?
Before I answer, let me ask you this...

Do you want Obama to close Gitmo?

I'm ambivalent about it. No strong feelings about it at all.

I could probably easily be persuaded that at least some of the people there should be set free.

Complete closure? :dunno:

I think he will?

Do you think he'll succeed?

Do you want him to be successful in that endeavor?

What makes you think he is intent on doing that?

What actions has he taken recently?
Before I answer, let me ask you this...

Do you want Obama to close Gitmo?

Guantanamo is a national disgrace. A testament to cowardice and fear. If Obama actually closes it, I'll happily credit him. The fact that he didn't in his first term was one of the reasons I could never vote for him, and the reason I can't take Democrats seriously.

Does your lack of answer mean that Obama hasn't actually taken any action toward his avowed goal?

I had thought about starting a new thread to ask my question but instead searched for other threads on the subject and found yours. Maybe I'll start a new thread after all.

Why close it? If you're going to close it why not line the terrorist against a wall and finish them off?

Does your lack of answer mean that Obama hasn't actually taken any action toward his avowed goal?

I had thought about starting a new thread to ask my question but instead searched for other threads on the subject and found yours. Maybe I'll start a new thread after all.

What makes me thinks that he will?

Because that's what he campaigned about, that's what he attempted to do when he first got in office, and that's what he's talking about again now at the beginning of his second term.

You see, unlike you, I'm more prone to believe Obama and take him at his word vs. you who are more prone to disbelieve and think he's lying all the time.

That's my answer.

Why close it? If you're going to close it why not line the terrorist against a wall and finish them off?

Because we don't know whether they are terrorists or not. If we did know, if we had the evidence to convict them, then we could do as you suggest. That's the little pickle the terrorist-hating tough guys don't want to face. We're holding people in prison indefinitely because we think they might be guilty. If we had evidence we'd convict them and be done with it. I'm fine with the death penalty for proven terrorists. But if we can't convict them, because we don't have actual evidence that they are guilty - we should let them go. That's the way justice works.

Amelia, AmyNation, et. al...

You asked what makes me thinks he will.

I knew it was only a matter of time before we had REAL TIME evidence.

So here you go...

Obama and Heckler Plead to Close Gitmo

That's from his speech TODAY. Note, it's taken from one of YOUR sources.

Cut the bullshat CON$, it's only the Republicans that are stopping this.

You bastards want to stop him from closing Gitmo, then turn around and bash him for breaking his promise to close it.

Trying to have your cake and eat it too. Playing both sides of the fence...as usual.

Cut your shat.

Last edited:
Amelia...

So here you go...

You bastards want to stop him from closing Gitmo, then turn around and bash him for breaking his promise to close it.

Trying to have your cake and eat it too. Playing both sides of the fence...as usual.

Cut your shat.

Marc save your BS. I have been for closing Gitmo for many years, and Obama could have done this years ago and chose not to. I'm tired of the Democratic spin, but bottom line, it was an executive order, the Democrats had filibuster proof Senate and a huge House majority and Obama did nothing, why? Because it wasn't popular.

Amelia...

So here you go...

Cut your shat.

Marc save your BS. I have been for closing Gitmo for many years, and Obama could have done this years ago and chose not to. I'm tired of the Democratic spin, but bottom line, it was an executive order, the Democrats had filibuster proof Senate and a huge House majority and Obama did nothing, why? Because it wasn't popular.
Are you suggesting that it's because of Obama and the Democrats that Gitmo is not closed?

Tell me sir, what should he have done. Lay out the way you think he should have handled it.

By "it" I mean the Republican's obstruction to the plan to close Gitmo.

Amelia...

So here you go...

Cut your shat.

Are you suggesting that it's because of Obama and the Democrats that Gitmo is not closed?

Tell me sir, what should he have done. Lay out the way you think he should have handled it.

By "it" I mean the Republican's obstruction to the plan to close Gitmo.

What could the Republicans do to stop Gitmo from closing? They could not override the executive order to close it, they didn't have the votes in the House or Senate to defund it. To this day I believe it was just words to make people feel better. Just as the repeal of the Patriot Act.

So here you go...

Cut your shat.

He can close it anytime he wants, as long as he doesn't transfer the detainees to US soil. Want to point out why I should buy into his rhetoric given that he actually has the power he wants?

450 million dollars has been approved to refurbish Gitmo. Who is getting that payoff? Bring the inmates here. Let them go. Give them greencards and hope to create another London and Stockholm. Obama has to do something. The Tsarnaev brothers are out of the picture.

So here you go...

Cut your shat.

He can close it anytime he wants, as long as he doesn't transfer the detainees to US soil. Want to point out why I should buy into his rhetoric given that he actually has the power he wants?
He needs congress and they won't do anything to make Obama look good.

So here you go...

Cut your shat.

There are many things he could do without the agreement of Congress. They wouldn't be complete closure but they'd be a start.

So far he is all talk on this matter.

He does?

He had a nice sound bite at a press conference after a reporter brought it up, I don't see the as "intent on closing Gitmo".

You weren't listening..

The glaring exception to this time-tested approach is the detention center at Guantanamo Bay. The original premise for opening GTMO — that detainees would not be able to challenge their detention — was found unconstitutional five years ago. In the meantime, GTMO has become a symbol around the world for an America that flouts the rule of law. Our allies won’t cooperate with us if they think a terrorist will end up at GTMO.

During a time of budget cuts, we spend $150 million each year to imprison 166 people — almost $1 million per prisoner. And the Department of Defense estimates that we must spend another $200 million to keep GTMO open at a time when we’re cutting investments in education and research here at home, and when the Pentagon is struggling with sequester and budget cuts.

As President, I have tried to close GTMO. I transferred 67 detainees to other countries before Congress imposed restrictions to effectively prevent us from either transferring detainees to other countries or imprisoning them here in the United States.

These restrictions make no sense. After all, under President Bush, some 530 detainees were transferred from GTMO with Congress’s support. When I ran for President the first time, John McCain supported closing GTMO — this was a bipartisan issue. No person has ever escaped one of our super-max or military prisons here in the United States — ever. Our courts have convicted hundreds of people for terrorism or terrorism-related offenses, including some folks who are more dangerous than most GTMO detainees. They’re in our prisons.

And given my administration’s relentless pursuit of al Qaeda’s leadership, there is no justification beyond politics for Congress to prevent us from closing a facility that should have never have been opened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/24/u...e-policy.html?pagewanted=9&_r=1&smid=fb-share

What could the Republicans do to stop Gitmo from closing? They could not override the executive order to close it, they didn't have the votes in the House or Senate to defund it. To this day I believe it was just words to make people feel better. Just as the repeal of the Patriot Act.

This is why you and the rest of your radical far right wing ilk have no credibility.

You know he needs Congress to make such a decision, You know that the INSTANT he were to do what you're saying he should you will bash him to hell as a "king", "despot" and everything else but a child of God.

But you're not honest, you prefer the dishonest route.

It's transparent dude.

There are many things he could do without the agreement of Congress. They wouldn't be complete closure but they'd be a start.

So far he is all talk on this matter.
The only talk on the matter are your RW dishonest talking points.

WTF does this dumb RW talking point "just not on US soil" even mean?

What are you suggesting?

What's so special about "US soil" that you say that?

What do you palookas mean when you spew that stupid RW bullshat?

Forum List

Back