Obama: ‘Simply Locking People Up Doesn’t Make Communities Safer’

Well, my argument would be this:

Instead of people going for the "lock everyone up and we'll all be safer" kind of simplistic view, I would instead look at the real reasons for why people commit crimes and try and stop it. People are basically being born into crime, there's no hope left in certain communities. In others becoming a criminal is an actual career choice that gives far more advantages than trying to do it the legitimate way.

Why are so many more people being incarcerated in certain states than others? Well, you know that many of the states with high levels of prisoners have piss poor education, the rich don't care about the poor and do nothing to help people rise up out of the dirt.

You can see it within the US comparing different states, and you can see it comparing the US with Europe and Australia and places like that.

All it takes is people with brains. Instead people are getting all excited about someone like Trump who wants to build a damn wall, not fix education, not improve the lives of people, reduce crime and all of that, no, build a wall.

People commit crimes because they choose to.

People are uneducated because they choose to be

If people want to "rise up from the dirt" then that's up to them

And here are some of the reasons why things are going bad, because people like you always say stuff like this, and it's been PROVEN to not help matters.

People who are actually pro-active in making positive change will generally get positive change. Those who always make these excuses will always end up with a society where you end up locking people up for long periods and have a lot of crime.

It's a choice. It does seem rather silly to want to have lots of criminals.

You cannot help people who don't want to be helped.
People who choose to victimize others do not want to be helped

No, you can't. But a lot of the people who need help, are people who do want help.

Either kids who need a decent education, good opportunities, a safe and decent community to grow up in, good parents and so on.

But then you're attitude is always going to be defeatist. You seem to want to see people fail, to see society fall apart, to see it all go bad. I have no idea why, maybe you could tell me why.

I am a realist.

Almost any town or city has a free library. If someone wants to educate themselves they can.

And if they really want help they will start by helping themselves not by mugging an old lady

A realist would say that education helps kids. That people have things like hope and when they lose this hope then they don't try anymore. That's real. it happens all the time.

A realist sees that many of the failures in society are failures because they don't get the education when they're kids that they need. A realist sees that education at a young level is extremely important.

Locking up criminals absolutely makes the community safer. Obama wants to give all of his homies a get out of jail free card. Nothing more, nothing less. If the majority of felons in prison were white, he'd let them rot.

Does it?

The states with the highest homicide rates are 1) Louisiana, 2) Mississippi, 3) Missouri, 4) South Carolina, 5) Maryland

The states with the highest incarceration rates are 1) Louisiana, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Mississippi, 4) Alabama, 5) Georgia

So, number one and two for murder and numbers one and three for incarceration. Missouri is 14th, South Carolina 19th.

Does this look like more incarceration leads to less crime? Doesn't to me.
What would the crime rate be if all those people weren't locked up?

Instead of people going for the "lock everyone up and we'll all be safer" kind of simplistic view, I would instead look at the real reasons for why people commit crimes and try and stop it. People are basically being born into crime, there's no hope left in certain communities. In others becoming a criminal is an actual career choice that gives far more advantages than trying to do it the legitimate way.

Why are so many more people being incarcerated in certain states than others? Well, you know that many of the states with high levels of prisoners have piss poor education, the rich don't care about the poor and do nothing to help people rise up out of the dirt.

You can see it within the US comparing different states, and you can see it comparing the US with Europe and Australia and places like that.

All it takes is people with brains. Instead people are getting all excited about someone like Trump who wants to build a damn wall, not fix education, not improve the lives of people, reduce crime and all of that, no, build a wall.

And here are some of the reasons why things are going bad, because people like you always say stuff like this, and it's been PROVEN to not help matters.

People who are actually pro-active in making positive change will generally get positive change. Those who always make these excuses will always end up with a society where you end up locking people up for long periods and have a lot of crime.

You a squarely basing your opinion on a logical fallacy known as a reversal of causation.

No, you can't. But a lot of the people who need help, are people who do want help.

Either kids who need a decent education, good opportunities, a safe and decent community to grow up in, good parents and so on.

But then you're attitude is always going to be defeatist. You seem to want to see people fail, to see society fall apart, to see it all go bad. I have no idea why, maybe you could tell me why.

I am a realist.

Almost any town or city has a free library. If someone wants to educate themselves they can.

And if they really want help they will start by helping themselves not by mugging an old lady

A realist would say that education helps kids. That people have things like hope and when they lose this hope then they don't try anymore. That's real. it happens all the time.

A realist sees that many of the failures in society are failures because they don't get the education when they're kids that they need. A realist sees that education at a young level is extremely important.

All kids have to go to school. The education they get is really up to them.

Sooner or later people have to make a choice. Some choose wisely some don't. It's always been that way it will always be that way.

that man is a joke and has diarrhea of the mouth. I think he just likes to hear Himself spew

who cares what this nasty lame duck has to say anymore? I haven't since the first MONTH he's been in office

that man is a joke and has diarrhea of the mouth. I think he just likes to hear Himself spew

who cares what this nasty lame duck has to say anymore? I haven't since the first MONTH he's been in office
More of the same old shit from Staph, the programmed tea tard.

The stupidity just never stops coming with you, does it?

whack a mole/troll a new game

th

Does it?

The states with the highest homicide rates are 1) Louisiana, 2) Mississippi, 3) Missouri, 4) South Carolina, 5) Maryland

The states with the highest incarceration rates are 1) Louisiana, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Mississippi, 4) Alabama, 5) Georgia

So, number one and two for murder and numbers one and three for incarceration. Missouri is 14th, South Carolina 19th.

Does this look like more incarceration leads to less crime? Doesn't to me.

You a squarely basing your opinion on a logical fallacy known as a reversal of causation.

No, I'm not. And if you actually want to debate, then you should try debating, what you've said is nothing more than trying to ignore stuff. So I don't know why you bothered replying in the first place.

Maybe next time you'd actually like to contribute something to this debate.

I am a realist.

Sooner or later people have to make a choice. Some choose wisely some don't. It's always been that way it will always be that way.

Oh, it's up to a 10 year old what kind of education they get. Do you know ANYTHING about 10 year olds?

Seriously, most 10 year olds, given the chance, will take the easy route. However many of them will also do well when they're told to do their work. Kids aren't just born to be able to do it all themselves.

Also, many kids end up with the wrong type of education, the one size fits all education has made many intelligent kids feel stupid simply because they're studying what doesn't interest them. Also, the skills they need they'll only get from being taught many of these skills, if they don't, then they miss out.

The problem is, and I'll say it again and again, is your attitude towards education and all of this stuff is negative, and causes many problems for people. There's a reason why states like Mississippi and Arkansas have poor educational records, and why other states have good educational records. It's the difference between having voters and politicians with your attitude, and having voters and politicians with a can do attitude.

No, I'm not. And if you actually want to debate, then you should try debating, what you've said is nothing more than trying to ignore stuff. So I don't know why you bothered replying in the first place.

Anyone with a lick of common sense would come to the conclusion that Louisiana's high incarceration rate of violent criminals is caused by the high number of incidences of violent crime. Not the other way around.

To say that incarcerating violent criminals causes a high violent crime rate is a reversal of causation logical fallacy.

However, I don't expect you to be able comprehend that fact because you are obviously incapable of thinking logically. I swear, the average 3 year old has more common sense than you.

There aren't enough people locked up. Our justice system is a joke, we give second chances to thugs all the time. Prison time for violent crimes needs to be increased.

They keep bringing up the fact that blacks and Latinos make up the vast majority of prison populations, but won't admit it's because they commit the vast majority of crimes.

Produce criminals, and then pay for them to be locked up, then complain about people being given free stuff. Free board and food.....
Hey! There's an idea, we should imprison the people who produce thugs, their parents.

I have no idea why you've replied to me with this statement.
Figures.

Anyone with a lick of common sense would come to the conclusion that Louisiana's high incarceration rate of violent criminals is caused by the high number of incidences of violent crime. Not the other way around.

To say that incarcerating violent criminals causes a high violent crime rate is a reversal of causation logical fallacy.

However, I don't expect you to be able comprehend that fact because you are obviously incapable of thinking logically. I swear, the average 3 year old has more common sense than you.

Oh, now we're onto "common sense", or why not say it for what it is "made up stuff that doesn't take much thought process".

Louisiana is the world's prison capital

Read this, it might change your mind.

Louisiana has a private prison system which encourages the police to arrest anyone and stick them in prison, and it encourages the prisons to make sure the prisoners come back.

Also, crime rates are often higher in places with lower educational achievement levels. Why? Well it's simple, people with less hope have more reason to commit crime.

This is not an easy topic to talk about, it's not as simple as you think it is. It's not just "man wakes up and decides to commit crime because he's a bad man then he goes to prison and everything is back to normal" fairy tale crap.

This is about people's lives. This is about many people being failed.

http://eml.berkeley.edu/~moretti/lm46.pdf

"We find that schooling significantly reduces the probability of incarceration."

"The biggest impacts of education are associated with murder, assault, and motor vehicle theft."

Crime Rates Linked To Educational Attainment, New Alliance Report Finds

"research that links lower levels of educational attainment with higher rates of arrests and incarceration."

There's a clear correlation between crime rates and education achievement. Why do kids in Mississippi do worse than kids in Vermont? Is it because they're more stupid? No, probably not. It's probably due to poor education.

Some people will never do well in traditional education, some will always do well. That doesn't mean there aren't many who will do better when they've given a decent education to build on.

There's a clear correlation between crime rates and education achievement. Why do kids in Mississippi do worse than kids in Vermont? Is it because they're more stupid?
Yes.

There is a clear correlation between IQ and academic achievement. There is also a clear correlation between IQ and income. There is also a clear correlation between IQ and violent crime.

And there is also a clear correlation between race and IQ. The average Afro-American has an IQ of 85. That is a whopping 15 points below average.

It is no wonder that cities like New Orleans and Detroit have a low academic achievement rates and a high violent crime rate.

Last edited:
you know what makes communities safer Barry? getting black mothers off welfare. Keeping black fathers at home and working and out of drugs, crime and gangs. Raising their kids- stop sleeping around. Keeping the kids in school, getting a job and education. Stop depending on big gubmint.
Great Lets do that

When are Republicans going to start bringing good paying jobs to impoverished communities?

you know what makes communities safer Barry? getting black mothers off welfare. Keeping black fathers at home and working and out of drugs, crime and gangs. Raising their kids- stop sleeping around. Keeping the kids in school, getting a job and education. Stop depending on big gubmint.
Great Lets do that

When are Republicans going to start bringing good paying jobs to impoverished communities?
When the people in those communities decide that working is better than committing crimes.

There aren't enough people locked up. Our justice system is a joke, we give second chances to thugs all the time. Prison time for violent crimes needs to be increased.

They keep bringing up the fact that blacks and Latinos make up the vast majority of prison populations, but won't admit it's because they commit the vast majority of crimes.

Produce criminals, and then pay for them to be locked up, then complain about people being given free stuff. Free board and food.....

I've never complained about thugs being locked up, or paying for it.

Try again asswipe.

Wow, insults.....

You are the one that insinuated that I am somehow responsible for "producing" criminals, as well as complain about paying to lock them up.

You're full of shit and all you can do is try to cover your own lying ass, hence you're an asswipe.

I am a realist.

Oh, it's up to a 10 year old what kind of education they get. Do you know ANYTHING about 10 year olds?

Seriously, most 10 year olds, given the chance, will take the easy route. However many of them will also do well when they're told to do their work. Kids aren't just born to be able to do it all themselves.

Also, many kids end up with the wrong type of education, the one size fits all education has made many intelligent kids feel stupid simply because they're studying what doesn't interest them. Also, the skills they need they'll only get from being taught many of these skills, if they don't, then they miss out.

The problem is, and I'll say it again and again, is your attitude towards education and all of this stuff is negative, and causes many problems for people. There's a reason why states like Mississippi and Arkansas have poor educational records, and why other states have good educational records. It's the difference between having voters and politicians with your attitude, and having voters and politicians with a can do attitude.

10 year olds don't get thrown in jail. And no one is 10 years old forever.

Nothing I do today has anything to do with when I was 10 years old

Forum List

Back