Obama stomps feet and throws tantrum aimed at SCOTUS

Hes setting himself up so he can blame some else for his faliure ...

Grandpa Murked U sobs in a corner of USMB complaining about the president in elaborate imaginary ways.

"Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said.

First -- why don;t you liberals take The Obama to task for His lie about Obamacare being passed with a "strong majority of a democratically elected Congress"?

Second -- why don't you liberals take The Obama to task for His inane assertion regarding the impropriety of the court striking a law that was so passed?

Third -- why don't you liberals take The Obama to task for His lie that doing so would be unprecedented and extraordinary?

In a bizarre re-writing of American history,...
In a bizarre, but expected, avoidance of the issues presented, you didn't answer the questions.

I shall ask agian:

First -- why don;t you liberals take The Obama to task for His lie about Obamacare being passed with a "strong majority of a democratically elected Congress"?

Second -- why don't you liberals take The Obama to task for His inane assertion regarding the impropriety of the court striking a law that was so passed?

Third -- why don't you liberals take The Obama to task for His lie that doing so would be unprecedented and extraordinary

Third -- why don't you liberals take The Obama to task for His lie that doing so would be unprecedented and extraordinary?

In a bizarre re-writing of American history, Scalia advocated the new conservative doctrine he calls "originalism," to which he and Associate Justice Clarence Thomas subscribe. According to Scalia and Thomas, the government gives us rights. And, they say, if rights weren't explicitly written into the Constitution, they don't exist.

Do you agree with that?

In his belief that we get our rights from our government, Scalia is more closely following the logic of dictators and theocrats than of Jefferson, Madison, and Hamilton.

Until Scalia and Thomas came along, modern Supreme Court justices generally understood that we don't get our rights from laws. Civil and human rights don't even come from the Constitution - as the Declaration of Independence notes, they pre-existed it.

("We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights...")

Bush & Scalia: "You want privacy rights? Pass a law!" -- A BuzzFlash Guest Contribution

And who determines what those rights are ?

If you believe there is a right to privacy....pass a law.

The Supreme Court beginning as early as 1923 and continuing through its recent decisions, has broadly read the "liberty" guarantee of the Fourteenth Amendment to guarantee a fairly broad right of privacy.

And as for Obamacare being constitutional:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." ~ United States Declaration of Independence (written by Thomas Jefferson)

So I have the right to life? Then Healthcare should be a right in this country.

SO.... when you said "they are legislating from the bench right now"...

Were you lying, or just talking out your ass?

They have been practicing....
I'm sorry -- I didnt see an answer to my question.

I shall ask again:

Like Obama I was stating a valad opinion. This isn't A Few Good Men. The Supreme Court hacks are not Jack Nicholson and this is not the military. And if it is, Obama is the Commmander and Chief?

Remember Bush said he was the Decider? Now Obama is, not the unelected legislatures on the activist bench.

Now let me ask you one question since you have repeated one talking point over and over to me all day. Is your right to privacy an inherent right or one that is given to you by the government? I ask all you righties this question.

"Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said.

You are right. We wanted Single Payer Government Run Healthcare. We got Obamacare. But we wanted healthcare reform. Your side wanted the status quo. And the status quo was unacceptable. Healtcare doesn't suck because of Obamacare. It sucked long before and it continues to get out of control because Obamacare hasn't fully kicked in. There are going to be exchanges which will utilmately turn into single payer. It will compete with the private insurers.

The public is uninformed about Obamacare. That's because the media is corporate controlled, not liberal.

They have been practicing....
I'm sorry -- I didnt see an answer to my question.

I shall ask again:

Like Obama I was stating a valad opinion. This isn't A Few Good Men. The Supreme Court hacks are not Jack Nicholson and this is not the military. And if it is, Obama is the Commmander and Chief?

Remember Bush said he was the Decider? Now Obama is, not the unelected legislatures on the activist bench.

Now let me ask you one question since you have repeated one talking point over and over to me all day. Is your right to privacy an inherent right or one that is given to you by the government? I ask all you righties this question.

The Bill of Rights does not currently recognize Privacy as A Protected Right, at least not from Government. Want to change that? Sign Me up. :) You do understand that part of the Primary Role of the Supreme Court is to Protect the Constitution from all Enemies Foreign and Domestic. That includes Bad Law, and Idiot Despots.

First - It's not a lie.
Second - It's not an "inane" assertion.
Third - He's absolutely right.

First - It's not a lie.

:clap2:

First - It's not a lie.
OK, so... are YOU lying or talking out of your ass?

First - It's not a lie.

You didn't answer my question.

Is your right to privacy an inherent right or one that is given to you by the government?

Gocha bitch! Because it is the righties who are arguing that you do not have this right. That THEY must first give you this right.

I'm imagining a computer that can't handle the information it is being given. Your overloading and saying, "this does not compute" or "illogical"

Sorry, I'll wait for Rush or Fox to tell you what your reply should be.

First - It's not a lie.

You're a partisan hack..so your insults are meaningless.

And if I could make my ass talk..I'd be on Letterman.

First - It's not a lie.

Yes. It was a lie.

It may or may not be an insane assertion to claim that striking such a law is unprecedented, but it is flatly false. And to say that in this land where we have a long history of such laws getting voided like that -- a claim made by a lawyer who once taught course about Constitutional law -- is pretty fucking close to insane.

And no. He was not absolutely right. He wasn't right at all. He wasn't even close to right. It is fully precedent-ed. He was absolutely wrong and bluntly dishonest.

lol at all the Obama fanbois in this thread unwittingly taking Newt Gingrich's position on the unelected judicial branch.

Well, at least this thread is an improvement over the last one...

At least this time you're not claiming the President is somehow "Threatening" the SCOTUS.

First - It's not a lie.

Yes. It was a lie.

It may or may not be an insane assertion to claim that striking such a law is unprecedented, but it is flatly false. And to say that in this land where we have a long history of such laws getting voided like that -- a claim made by a lawyer who once taught course about Constitutional law -- is pretty fucking close to insane.

And no. He was not absolutely right. He wasn't right at all. He wasn't even close to right. It is fully precedent-ed. He was absolutely wrong and bluntly dishonest.

No..it isn't a lie. It passed the Senate TWICE. TWICE.

And it won a majority in the house.

And..no it's not flatly false. They haven't overturned commerce law since Lochner.

Lochner era - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yeah..the court has become an adjunct of the congress. Which is sad.

First - It's not a lie.

Yes. It was a lie.

Well it has been quite awhile since the GOP pulled this one out of their old playbook

Examples of Supreme Court Cases Involving Judicial Review

Hylton v. United States, 3 US 171 (1796)
Ware v. Hylton, 3 US 199 (1796)
Marbury v. Madison, 5 US (Cranch 1) 137 (1803)
Dred Scott. v. Sanford, 60 US 393 (1857)
West Virginia v. Barnette, 319 US 624 (1943)
Brown v. Board of Education, 347 US 483 (1954)
Baker v. Carr, 369 US 186 (1962)
Roe v. Wade, 410 US 113 (1973)
United States v. Nixon, 418 US 683 (1974)

Judicial Review and the Supreme Court

The first recorded use under the US Constitution was in 1792, when the circuit courts found an act of Congress related to military veterans unconstitutional. Congress rewrote the law -- without protest -- in 1793.

The US Supreme Court first exercised judicial review 1796

The US Supreme Court case most often credited with affirming the doctrine of judicial review is Marbury v Madison, (1803) in which Chief Justice John Marshall declared Section 13 of the Judiciary Act of 1789 unconstitutional. This was the first time the Supreme Court overturned federal legislation. It greatly strengthened the power of the judicial branch, which had thus far been weaker than the other two.

Just in..... Video of attack on SMOTUS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ia2ucUTSU&feature=youtube_gdata_player]little boy temper tantrum - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back