🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Obama to propose end of NSA sweeps

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Obama to Propose Ending NSA's Phone Call Sweep - ABC News

The White House wants the National Security Agency to get out of the business of sweeping up and storing vast amounts of data on Americans' phone calls.

The Obama administration this week is expected to propose that Congress overhaul the electronic surveillance program by having phone companies hold onto the call records as they do now, according to a government official briefed on the proposal. The New York Times first reported the details of the proposal Monday night. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss the plan.

The White House proposal would end the government's practice of sweeping up the phone records of millions of Americans and holding onto those records for five years so the numbers can be searched for national security purposes. Instead, the White House is expected to propose that the phone records be kept for 18 months, as the phone companies are already required to do by federal regulation, and that it be able to preserve its ability to see certain records in specific circumstances approved by a judge.

According to a senior administration official, the president will present "a sound approach to ensuring the government no longer collects or holds this data, but still ensures that the government has access to the information it needs to meet the national security needs his team has identified." The administration official spoke late Monday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss the proposal before it was officially announced.

Sounds a plan to me! Anybody not in favor?

Congress hasn't gone along with much of what the president wants. It's in their court.

How so? The NSA is an executive branch agency. What is congress going to do, hold hearings and watch them lie like everything else about this administration?

The White House wants the National Security Agency to get out of the business of sweeping up and storing vast amounts of data on Americans' phone calls.

The Obama administration this week is expected to propose that Congress overhaul the electronic surveillance program by having phone companies hold onto the call records as they do now, according to a government official briefed on the proposal. The New York Times first reported the details of the proposal Monday night. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss the plan.

The White House proposal would end the government's practice of sweeping up the phone records of millions of Americans and holding onto those records for five years so the numbers can be searched for national security purposes. Instead, the White House is expected to propose that the phone records be kept for 18 months, as the phone companies are already required to do by federal regulation, and that it be able to preserve its ability to see certain records in specific circumstances approved by a judge.

According to a senior administration official, the president will present "a sound approach to ensuring the government no longer collects or holds this data, but still ensures that the government has access to the information it needs to meet the national security needs his team has identified." The administration official spoke late Monday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss the proposal before it was officially announced.

Yeah, Obama's not in favor of it seeing as he lied about it happening, then admitted it and still had it going on for over a year... Unconstitutionally. I guess he's a great guy for finally listening to the people and reading the constitution.

Yeah, Obama's not in favor of it seeing as he lied about it happening, then admitted it and still had it going on for over a year... Unconstitutionally. I guess he's a great guy for finally listening to the people and reading the constitution.
SMOKESCREEN, Avory! Come on, you're much smarter than that.

It's hard to believe him on this, and even if we do we still need more details. What about all the other data the NSA is collecting though? It's not just phone calls.

Yes and no. This is mostly a move to force private companies to do the same damn thing and I don’t find that as a move in the correct direction. The data should not exist AT ALL unless the government has a valid reason to collect it and then they can start doing so.

I will state that the reduction in time is at least a step in the correct direction and I would support the move on those grounds though I will not stop beating the dead horse that this entire endeavor needs to die a fast death.

The new move to a police state needs to end. We don’t need to fall in that direction at all, no matter how minute the move might be, out of an asinine fear over terrorism.

It's hard to believe him on this, and even if we do we still need more details. What about all the other data the NSA is collecting though? It's not just phone calls.

I think this a move to placate and the masses will likely buy it and shut up. Then the government will have established the new standard that can be, once again, pushed in another decade or so. That is how the power creep always works – overextend, draw back a little and wait for it to cool off before overextending again.

We MUST nip this in the bud RIGHT NOW.

Can anyone think of a good reason why the President ending a program on the basis of the Snowden leaks doesn't completely exonerate Edward Snowden as a whistleblower?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back