Obama to seek congress approval

If he doesn't seek congressional approval he's an unconstitutional dictator; if he does seek congressional approval, he's only looking out for himself.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Nothing to see here, folks. Just more hypocritical bullshit from the USMB Wingnut Brigade.

you are correct about one thing, obozo has backed himself into a box with no excape route. thats what idiots do, and obama is a idiot.

:lol:

He absolutely did not.

What he did was follow the Constitution.

My bet is that congress is going to screw this one up.

Big time.

Given the wide range of support among Republicans for some type of military action in Syria, I find myself agreeing with you.

Obama is just looking for a way out. He's a poor excuse for a president, he always has been..He'll shift the responsibility to congress so he can blame them when he doesn't do anyting..I personally don't think we should get involved at this point, but Obama looks like the weak, pathetic, little man that he is..Now go play some golf Obama do us all a favor and stay there

If that were the case he could have done one of two things.

Authorized surgical strikes without congressional approval. And be done.

Went with one of the many ridiculous stories out there about "rebels using the weapons" or "rogue general", absolve Assad and be done.

In either case, not much would have happened.

Did you listen to his speech, he said that he has authorized the strikes, but that they are not time sensitive. As a result, he decided he would get approval, as long as he doesn't decide to order the strikes first because he doesn't need their approval. It is a bit tortuous, like most of his speeches, but it comes down to him saying that he is going to play nice because he wants the idiots that insist that Bush didn't get approval to like him.

If he doesn't seek congressional approval he's an unconstitutional dictator; if he does seek congressional approval, he's only looking out for himself.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Nothing to see here, folks. Just more hypocritical bullshit from the USMB Wingnut Brigade.

you are correct about one thing, obozo has backed himself into a box with no excape route. thats what idiots do, and obama is a idiot.

That's not what I said. Nice try though.

What Obama did was put the decision into the hands of Congress. You know, the same Congress that you guys always claim he ignores or oversteps.

Really?

He said he has decided to ask for their approval, even though he doesn't need it, might not wait for it, and will act on his own even if he doesn't get it. That is not putting the decision in the hands of Congress, it is placating idiots, like you, that want to believe he is better than Bush.

Last edited:
There's no need at all to do anything but let them vote.

Trajan's post above illustrates why.

You don't think anti war people ( and there are a lot of em) are going to be watching very closely ?

Of course they are..

Bottom line is the US ALREADY screwed the pooch on this issue during the Iraq/Iran war.

This is a chance for Redemption.

Bush screwed the pooch by getting the UN, an international coalition, and Congress, behind him when he invaded Iraq.

Obama is redeeming us by openly saying that, since the UN disagrees with him, he doesn't need them, nor does he need Congress, and he won't even lead from behind like he did in Libya, he will just act because, despite the fact that no nation has ever acted in the past when chemical weapons were used, we have to do it because history demands it.

Sorry, I got lost trying to figure that one out, can you explain it?

I don't think he's seeking approval. I think he's looking for a way out of the mess he made. Realized he was alone in his opinion and is looking for an excuse to no follow through with his threat.

What "plausible deniability" was to Clinton, "plausible responsibility avoidance" is to Obama.

Obama's never advocated for sending ground troops nor would any be needed.

I am not advocating ground troops...just a robust air attack along the line General Keene advocates. Kill his Air Force/runways. Deplete armor and artillery...even future odds so diplomatic solution becomes more inevitable...if that is possible in the ME.

That's probably exactly what would happen.

Think Balkans.

Think Balkans.

Should I think of the entire history of the Balkans, or is there some particular disaster you want me to consider? As I recall, the Balkans were the direct cause of WWII, mostly because the area was key to Russia's Navy, which makes it even less imperative for us to go into Syria.

I am not advocating ground troops...just a robust air attack along the line General Keene advocates. Kill his Air Force/runways. Deplete armor and artillery...even future odds so diplomatic solution becomes more inevitable...if that is possible in the ME.

For what purpose? Are we trying to force a regime change? Some of the insurgents in Syria are Al Qaeda - do you really want to side with them?

We need to have a better understanding of the various factions and possible outcomes before intervening. If this is just a humanitarian issue, then why aren't we trying to save people in Darfur (and much of Africa), North Korea, and Coptic Christians?

And that is the problem. I don't see any good outcome from us getting involved unless we decide to go full force and invade the entire region and annex it into the US by creating an imperial dynasty. Frankly, that sounds worse than anything else, which leads me to say no, despite Trajan's arguments for a yes vote.

Congress didn't make Obama draw The Red Line that backed him into the corner.

^ This is basically what the whole thing boils down to. Obama opened his mouth with nary a thought as to what he'd do if things progressed and the red line was crossed.

Hey Barry ... keep mouth shut, fly not get in.

Kerry is on tv on Fox atm. wtF is wrong with Kerry's face??? Botox city!

Its not that simple as "yes".....it has to be yes to aggressive complete attack....not much chance of that.

Right, we will bomb Syria from the air, until the rebels win. We'll level their cities if necessary. Otherwise, how is the CW threat eliminated? The limited strike promise makes no sense, and is obviously a ruse.

There are three ways to eliminate the threat. I will list them in descending order of desirability.

• Keep Assad in power so that he can control them.
  • But boots on the ground to forcibly take the storage facilities and army units that have them.
  • Get those same areas so hot that there is no danger of the weapons being released accidentally.
The latter can only be accomplished by using nuclear weapons.

Congress didn't make Obama draw The Red Line that backed him into the corner.

^ This is basically what the whole thing boils down to. Obama opened his mouth with nary a thought as to what he'd do if things progressed and the red line was crossed.

Hey Barry ... keep mouth shut, fly not get in.

Kerry is on tv on Fox atm. wtF is wrong with Kerry's face??? Botox city!
Appearances are everything to phonies as John F'ing Kerry [Who served in Viet Nam]. ;)

That's probably exactly what would happen.

Think Balkans.

The Righties don't want to think of the Balkans. It makes them remember Clinton, and not one American casualty. They don't want to remember that.

Do you want me to explain why Clinton screwed up in the Balkans?

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure there were no American casualties in Tibet either.

Right, we will bomb Syria from the air, until the rebels win. We'll level their cities if necessary. Otherwise, how is the CW threat eliminated? The limited strike promise makes no sense, and is obviously a ruse.

There are three ways to eliminate the threat. I will list them in descending order of desirability.

• Keep Assad in power so that he can control them.
  • But boots on the ground to forcibly take the storage facilities and army units that have them.
  • Get those same areas so hot that there is no danger of the weapons being released accidentally.
The latter can only be accomplished by using nuclear weapons.

As to the latter with other powers involved that have the same capabilities? NOT a viable option. Scratch that one...

If Obama strikes Syria, what will that accomplish? He made it sound as if there were no specific targets, we would go in for a limited timeframe, limited strikes. So .... then what?

Countries can not be allowed to gas their people. Was it ok that Hitler did it? No. There is some sense in showing force on this. But doesn't some serious damage need to be done in order for Syria to halt what they're doing?

Last edited:

For what purpose? Are we trying to force a regime change? Some of the insurgents in Syria are Al Qaeda - do you really want to side with them?

We need to have a better understanding of the various factions and possible outcomes before intervening. If this is just a humanitarian issue, then why aren't we trying to save people in Darfur (and much of Africa), North Korea, and Coptic Christians?

The purpose of the administration ...if there really is one...is to bring about a diplomatic solution once the two sides reach a military stalemate.

Like the diplomatic solution he found for Israel and Palestine?

He made a decision to set the stage for saying "I wanted to do something but republicans wouldn't let me."

Exactly!

During this time of not acting, there is the possibility of Syria giving these weapons to Hezbollah or be taken by other Islamic Terrorists Groups.

He made a decision to set the stage for saying "I wanted to do something but republicans wouldn't let me."

Exactly!

During this time of not acting, there is the possibility of Syria giving these weapons to Hezbollah or be taken by other Islamic Terrorists Groups.

Obama would be able to then blame Congress for not acting quickly enough.

This strategy is pretty smart, it lets him off the hook for a lot.

If Obama strikes Syria, what will that accomplish? He made it sound as if there were no specific targets, we would go in for a limited timeframe, limited strikes. So .... then what?

Give the man a break. He is simply following orders from this man:

Screen_shot_2010-12-21_at_6.06.59_PM.png

He is following the Constitution, I am good with this, this is not a move to be taken lightly. Congress needs to debate it and then give Obama a decision.

No matter what happens, the other side will condemn it, just as they did under Bush.

He has made a great decision.

after Iraq, after Afghanistan, we need the representatives of The People to ok military action.

no doubt, Zionist extremists and fans of Al Qaeda will be furious at this decision.

A great decision??? You mean the one he was avoiding at all costs?

And for your information, while there was no peace treaty between Israel and Syria, their border has been the quietest, along with Jordan. Now, you have a total mess at their border.

So stop you Nazi BS!

Countries can not be allowed to gas their people. Was it ok that Hitler did it? No. There is some sense in showing force on this. But doesn't some serious damage need to be done in order for Syria to halt what they're doing?

Not True. Do some research.

Forum List

Back