obamacare to have a surcharge for smokers

Good. A smoker should not privatize his pleasure and socialize the $$$ risk on the rest of the pool. Good.

So only smokers get to be singled out for this? I've never smoked a cigarette once in my life, yet I dont feel the need to single those people out.

Good. A smoker should not privatize his pleasure and socialize the $$$ risk on the rest of the pool. Good.

So only smokers get to be singled out for this? I've never smoked a cigarette once in my life, yet I dont feel the need to single those people out.

Smoking's bad, mkay?

So is doing drugs or being an alcoholic.

How come being a junkie or a drunk is treated as a "disease" but being addicted to nicotine is treated differently?

If we're talking risk here then a habitual speeder should pay more for health insurance as well as car insurance right?

Smoking's bad, mkay?

Lol, lots of things are bad, but apparently smoking is the only bad thing when it comes to Obamacare.

All risks are equal, but some risks are more equal than others.

The government singles out smokers and makes affordable health care unaffordable so they go without. Then what. If they break a leg they don't get medical care or only medical care they can pay for?

Smoking's bad, mkay?

Lol, lots of things are bad, but apparently smoking is the only bad thing when it comes to Obamacare.

Your head must feel like it is going to explode all the time with the continuing and contrasting information that enters it, hmmm.

Company health insurance jacks insurance on smokers.

What the hell is wrong with you, Marty?

Smoking's bad, mkay?

Your head must feel like it is going to explode all the time with the continuing and contrasting information that enters it, hmmm.

What the hell's wrong with you, neo? It's no longer insurance, which is a voluntary contractual arrangement. With ACA, we're conscripted into a state religion, and forced to tithe for life. There's no comparison with what insurance companies policies were previously.

Smoking's bad, mkay?

And companies should either jack insurance for other risks, or stop singling out this one. Plus now that the government has a hand in it they can force you to do all sorts of things, just like you progressive assholes have always dreamed of.

Do try to keep up dimwit.

Which will effectively price them out of the insurance market.

ObamaCare slams smokers with sky-high premium costs, could backfire | Fox News

Unlike drug addicts, alcoholics, or the obese -- all of whom represent higher-than-average medical costs -- smokers are the only such group with a pre-existing condition that ObamaCare penalizes. It allows insurance companies to charge smokers up to 50 percent more than non-smokers for an identical policy.

For example, premiums for a 64-year-old non-smoker, according to the Kaiser Health Calculator, cost $9,000 a year for a standard "silver" insurance plan.

The same policy for a smoker could cost $13,600.

When "affordable" health care is 33% to 50% of your income, it isn't so affordable any more.

:clap2:

Again, risk is risk. Someone who skis or skydives, or does anything else like that has a higher risk of costing money due to accident, or even from the long term wear and tear those actions put on a body.

Are you ok with people who are not higher risk paying more so that those who are higher risk get to pay 'the same'? I'm not.

No, what I am in favor of is ALL risk be included in the calculation for your premiums, or NO risk be included in the calculation for your premiums (I prefer "all" by a whopping margin).

So the risk of being el lardo stuffing down white castles is included, as well as some skateboarder's risk of becoming one with the pavement after a misran handrail grind.

So you want everyone to pay for all risk, even if they don't engage in that risk?

Why shouldn't people who are in a high risk group (smoking, skateboarding, being diabetic, whatever) pay more if they are a higher risk to insure?

Are you ok with people who are not higher risk paying more so that those who are higher risk get to pay 'the same'? I'm not.

No, what I am in favor of is ALL risk be included in the calculation for your premiums, or NO risk be included in the calculation for your premiums (I prefer "all" by a whopping margin).

So the risk of being el lardo stuffing down white castles is included, as well as some skateboarder's risk of becoming one with the pavement after a misran handrail grind.

So you want everyone to pay for all risk, even if they don't engage in that risk?

Why shouldn't people who are in a high risk group (smoking, skateboarding, being diabetic, whatever) pay more if they are a higher risk to insure?

Because what we're talking about isn't insurance. Insurance is a voluntary contractual arrangement. Once it becomes a mandated government responsibility, then it's a government policy and equal protection applies.

Nine of the ten states with the highest rate of smoking are RED States

Smoking Rates Remain Highest in Kentucky, Lowest in Utah

Coincidence? Payback time Obama

Good point, and probably the BEST argument AGAINST federal government involvement in health insurance.

Thanks

Next, the Presidential candidates will choose which voting groups get the higher subsidy and lowest deductibles.

NOW THAT'S CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

Everyone engages in high risk behavior. Unless you live in a bubble wrapped in cotton batting you engage in high risk behavior. The government is just choosing acceptable high risk behavior like man on man sex or getting high on drugs and behavior it doesn't approve of like smoking or soda.

It's part of the growth of tyranny.

This isn't new.

There were smoking surcharges prior to ObamaCare.

Shallow Sallow.........this is absolutely new.
There were NO plans that raised the cost from 50% to 400% more....none.

True, but private insurance charged more for smokers than for non-smokers.

As does our plan, $50 per month per adult member.
But $300 - $500 a month more?? No plan did that....and what else will come?
I can see it now...$25 for eating fast food....$10 for drinking soda....$20 for drinking alcohol...and on and on.
As with anything that involves the government, one the door unlatches - it swings wide open.

What the hell's wrong with you, neo? It's no longer insurance, which is a voluntary contractual arrangement. With ACA, we're conscripted into a state religion, and forced to tithe for life. There's no comparison with what insurance companies policies were previously.

Oh, dblack, you are whining about good practices to drive down rates for everyone on the average.

Get your insurance some other way then or pay up.

Sheesh.

And the same for you, Marty.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back