Obamas Failed Foreign Policy- Cairo 200 Plus Dead

Now we support bloody Military Coups. What a sad mess. Blowback's gonna be pretty rough for us on this one. Aggressive Foreign Interventionism should become a thing of the past.

You are confused. obama doesn't support the military. He supports the brotherhood "rebels".

Him and Hillary Clinton did support the Muslim Brotherhood. They helped them get into power. But then they were forced to turn on them. Now we're a Nation supporting an awful bloody Military Coup. It's just such a sad mess. We'll be dealing with the Blowback on this for many years to come.

I think he made the same mistake bush did ala Sharon and pulling out of gaza...in that if he let Mubarak fall or gave gaza back to the Palis, hoping that what came next would be 'better', not taking into account the MB, ( he was warned though) would then incite and institute their own brand of oligarchy...Carter too vis a vis the shah and Khomeini.

I don't think that anyone, the US and Obama Administration included, was surprised by the Muslim Brotherhood takeover after Mubarak. If anything, we were surprised by how well those running against the Muslim Brotherhood did against them. The Muslim Brotherhood was the largest and best organized political party in Egypt outside of the ruling party.

theres 2 separate issues in there, you mean surprised he became president or he went rogue afterward? and if they were surprised they are fools, which says what exactly of theiri foreign policy?

While Morsi wasn't doing very well, the real rogue element here is the Egyptian military, not the Muslim Brotherhood.

not really, this too was foretold..;)

/edit, I suppose I should qualify the above statement by saying that the only real surprise was the MB's decision to run a candidate for president. Which was actually a really poor political choice for the MB.

so you are implying they would have been better served just ruling the parliament? maybe, yes I can see that...but I suspect we/they would have gotten here anyway.

Now we support bloody Military Coups. What a sad mess. Blowback's gonna be pretty rough for us on this one. Aggressive Foreign Interventionism should become a thing of the past.

You are confused. obama doesn't support the military. He supports the brotherhood "rebels".

Him and Hillary Clinton did support the Muslim Brotherhood. They helped them get into power. But then they were forced to turn on them. Now we're a Nation supporting an awful bloody Military Coup. It's just such a sad mess. We'll be dealing with the Blowback on this for many years to come.

yes it was/is a coup and obama is not being held to the same level of contempt for playing this transparent game either...but then again hes got dolts like McCain giving him cover, BUT for. policy is the executives shoppe.

so you are implying they would have been better served just ruling the parliament? maybe, yes I can see that...

Yes. I though it incredibly daft for them to seek to dominate both the executive and parliament. Any government that was coming into Egypt at the time was going to do poorly. Global food prices were up (a long time economic sore point for Egypt even under Mubarak), and the political transition was destined to (and did) hit Egyptian tourism markets very hard. The Egyptian economy was going to tank for a while no matter who was in power and that traditionally means high levels of unrest in Egypt. With the Muslim Brotherhood holding both the presidency and the legislature they set themselves up to take on most of the fallout for the economic realities and set themselves up as the sole party responsible for forging a new constitution in a traditionally extremely divided country.

They didn't give themselves any buffer. Allowing a different party to hold the presidency while they operated more behind the scenes in the legislature would have allowed the party controlling the presidency some public blame (allowing it to be shared at worst and deflected to the president at best). Their choice to seek both in troubled times was simply the result of their lack of experience being something other than a popular opposition group.

well said.

yes they overreached but, I think they would have tried to tame the president and ram thru unpopular 'reforms' .....which would have been just as problematic.

Forum List

Back