Ocasio-Cortez: Debate Request Is Sexual Harassment!

Ocasio-Cortez dismisses Ben Shapiro's debate offer, compares to 'catcalling'

Democratic congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Thursday dismissed an offer from conservative commentator Ben Shapiro challenging her to a debate, saying she doesn’t “owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions.”

“Just like catcalling, I don’t owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted Thursday night. “And also like catcalling, for some reason they feel entitled to one.”

Shapiro fired back at Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter while defending his offer:

"Discussion and debate are not “bad intentions.” Slandering someone as a sexist catcaller without reason or evidence does demonstrate cowardice and bad intent, however."

My, my, my. That's the "future of the Democratic Party", is it?

I wonder if she whipped out her Woman Card and claimed it was "catcalling" when Stephen Colbert asked to interview her. That request was probably "unsolicited", too.

So much for her claims that Republicans are afraid of HER. Looks the other way 'round to me.
"Debate" and "interview" mean different things.

yes, they do. and legitimate candidates do both. She is extremely ignorant, makes idiotic proclamations, and comes off as a pathetic whining baby.

but that's the future of your party, Obama and Clinton killed the party of Truman and Kennedy and this is all you have left.
I haven't heard her--but I have a feeling that your opinion of her "proclamations" might be a bit colored by your disagreement with her basic premises. No?
She's young, she probably hasn't gotten her details worked out yet since she didn't expect to win the nomination, but you could be right. A lot of politicians don't have the details down, just the sound bytes. I seem to recall Trump was pretty famous for that during the campaign. Couldn't seem to get him to explain what in hell he was planning to actually DO except repeal and replace.....build that wall that Mexico will pay for.....stop all immigration of Muslims....make America safe again....
Bumper sticker campaigning isn't actually unheard of.
She supposedly has a degree in economics and stated that the reason the unemployment rate is low is because people work 2 jobs and 60 hr. work weeks. I don't care what side of the fence you sit on if you don't think that's a monumentally ignorant statement you got issues.
Her point is that people are having to work 60 hr/wk - 2 jobs to make ends meet. It's true in a lot of places. So the low unemployment doesn't necessarily mean things are rosy out there for everyone.

Btw, when did you get around to actually finding out what her policies are? Weren't you just telling us you had never heard her, and knew nothing about any of this?

I like this whole "Never mind how many mistakes she makes. She CARES!" argument you've got going. Saves a lot of time when you leftists just admit you're all frigging morons who think emotion trumps logic.

Democratic congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Thursday dismissed an offer from conservative commentator Ben Shapiro challenging her to a debate, saying she doesn’t “owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions.”

“Just like catcalling, I don’t owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted Thursday night. “And also like catcalling, for some reason they feel entitled to one.”

"Discussion and debate are not “bad intentions.” Slandering someone as a sexist catcaller without reason or evidence does demonstrate cowardice and bad intent, however."

I wonder if she whipped out her Woman Card and claimed it was "catcalling" when Stephen Colbert asked to interview her. That request was probably "unsolicited", too.

So much for her claims that Republicans are afraid of HER. Looks the other way 'round to me.
She doesn’t owe Ben Shapiro an answer, never mind a debate. He’s a blogger.

Meanwhile, Trumpy has had only one press conference as potus. What’s he afraid of?

No, he's not a blogger. He's a syndicated columnist and a published author, and has been since he was 17.

Meanwhile, we're not talking about Trump. If you can't suppress your Trump Derangement Syndrome enough to talk about another topic without "But TRUUUUUUMMMP!!!" every five minutes, you're cordially invited to go start your own thread.

Meanwhile, Trumpy has had only one press conference as potus. What’s he afraid of?

Blogger? He runs the highest rated conservative podcast in the country. He is NOT a blogger. This may have been the stupidest post I have ever seen on these boards. Cudos to you.

Well, consider the source. Synth kinda has a head start on "stupidest".

He would eat her alive, and she damn well knows it.
He is currently the best debater alive. Informed, smart, and lightning fast on his feet... this guy will make you look like an idiot even if you are right.
If I was a candidate for EITHER party, I wouldn't want to make an appearance in the same city as this guy let alone debate him one on one.
Having said that, she once again showed her true colors for calling him sexist with zero basis for it.
this guy will make you look like an idiot even if you are right.
Then why would anyone want to "debate" him?

Who else has Shapiro offered to "debate" among the Democratic candidates? Anyone? Why only her?

Shapiro offers to debate lots of people. How about instead of asking us to explain every little damned detail to you, you use your Internet connection for something useful and Google it?

The point is, this woman accomplished something pretty remarkable in a very peculiar voting district. And now she is being feted all over the country on interview shows where she is asked fatuous questions and allowed to ramble on without interruption or contradiction, on subjects where her content is nothing but vacuous blather. She shows herself as not particularly intelligent or well-informed, and certainly not worthy of being elevated to the informal position of, "The Future of the Democratic Party!"

Hence, Shapiro tries to embarrass her with a tongue-in-cheek offer of a campaign contribution in exchange for a "debate," knowing that she wouldn't accept such an invitation in a thousand years. She would be annihilated.

Shapiro - 1
Alexandria - 0

I don't think it was tongue-in-cheek. I think he very much expected her to run and hide like a scared little girl - as she, in fact, did - but I also think he's quite serious about being willing to have the debate/interview/whatever, if she ever puts on her big-girl panties and takes his challenge.

And yes, he'd take her positions apart like a cheap watch.

I agree. Most opponents want to debate. It gives them a chance to put forth their opinion on a subject and what they will do.

The fact that this idiot doesn't want to debate and then insults the other party speaks volumes.

Sure hope she never makes it.

He's not even her OPPONENT - Just a Squawk Talk Loon who wants to set a trap for 15 minutes of fame.
JESUS people :rolleyes:

She talks to LOTS of people who aren't her opponent about her policy positions . . . just not anyone who isn't going to fawn over her.

JESUS, hypocrite.

And then you have Dotard J Drumpf who doesn't talk to anyone but Fox News, Sinclair Media and idiots like Alex Jones.

JESUS, hypocrite :D

Who is Ben Shapiro?
Aren't debates usually between candidates? Is he running for something?
No, he just challenged her views.
He would probably eat her up. Especially considering she is extremely ignorant.
Name the ELECTED Republicans who have appeared on Rachel Maddow this year? She challenges their views every night.

What are they afraid of?

In fact, why won’t Ben Shapiro go on Rachel’s show and demonstrate how smart he is? :auiqs.jpg:

Because she hasn't invited him.

He is currently the best debater alive. Informed, smart, and lightning fast on his feet... this guy will make you look like an idiot even if you are right.
If I was a candidate for EITHER party, I wouldn't want to make an appearance in the same city as this guy let alone debate him one on one.
Having said that, she once again showed her true colors for calling him sexist with zero basis for it.

Who else has Shapiro offered to "debate" among the Democratic candidates? Anyone? Why only her?

He has debated Sam Harris and Eric Weinstein. He has debated Cenk Uygur. He has debated Bill Maher. He has offered to debate many others including Michael Moore.

He has BEGGED to be on "The View". They hinted at accepting, and then mysteriously went silent. I'm assuming that's the point where one of their interns Googled him and said, "Uh, maybe that's a bad plan, guys."

Blogger? He runs the highest rated conservative podcast in the country. He is NOT a blogger. This may have been the stupidest post I have ever seen on these boards. Cudos to you.
Translation: ignorant people like him the best! :auiqs.jpg:

Translation: You would have said that no matter what the answer was, because the only thought your head is capable of holding is, "Democrats are always right! ALWAYS!"

No surprise here she will continue her media appearances on CNN and MSNBC where she will get lots of praise and no serious questions about her views or policy positions.

Yes, and when was the last time Trump went on CNN or MSNBC for an interview let alone a "debate"?
Early 2016 as I recall - Morning Joe.
Please get real

Oh, yeah, President Trump is ALWAYS running away from ever having to talk to the media. Man's practically a hermit. :eusa_hand:

YOU get real. She's a coward, and you're a lying hypocrite.

Uh Huh - ONE press conference in 2017
Trump held only one press conference this year. His predecessors had way more

Clown :rolleyes:

Here's how everyone else stacked up during their first years in office:

• Bill Clinton: 11
  • George H. W. Bush: 27
  • Ronald Reagan: 6
  • Jimmy Carter: 22
  • Gerald Ford (who only served from August to December in his first year as president): 4
  • Richard Nixon: 6

She supposedly has a degree in economics and stated that the reason the unemployment rate is low is because people work 2 jobs and 60 hr. work weeks. I don't care what side of the fence you sit on if you don't think that's a monumentally ignorant statement you got issues.
Her point is that people are having to work 60 hr/wk - 2 jobs to make ends meet. It's true in a lot of places. So the low unemployment doesn't necessarily mean things are rosy out there for everyone.

The definition of poverty in the US is not true poverty world wide. These "poor persons" have running water, access to food, indoor plumbing, healthcare and education and almost all have smartphones. Business owners sometimes work 80hr weeks. I know I do. Working hard is not a bad thing.
Keeping your house or your car is "making ends meet." Keeping the lights on. Paying for that car repair so you can continue to get to your two jobs.
I never said anything about poverty. I said "making ends meet."

Millions in the middle class struggle as well. College tuition is $50k/year per kid. Such is life. Doesn't make it bad. Giving stuff away for free via Gov't spend is not the answer. Unless you are a moron.
I don't know. I think investing in a better educated workforce might be worth it in the long run. Economists know that part of the slower growth the past several years was because young college grads are so burdened with debt that they can't afford to buy a home, start a family, be good serious consumers. Yet it has been drilled into all of them that a college education is necessary for a financially secure life.
So what's to be done? I know some people are looking to businesses to take up some of the burden, and that's fine for big businesses; that might help. Or figure out what is making the cost of higher education so goddamned expensive? I suspect it is something of a racket. I don't know for sure, though.

Show of hands, everyone who thinks Old Lady appears to be someone whose advice on how to educate people is worth a fart in a wind tunnel.

The definition of poverty in the US is not true poverty world wide. These "poor persons" have running water, access to food, indoor plumbing, healthcare and education and almost all have smartphones. Business owners sometimes work 80hr weeks. I know I do. Working hard is not a bad thing.
Keeping your house or your car is "making ends meet." Keeping the lights on. Paying for that car repair so you can continue to get to your two jobs.
I never said anything about poverty. I said "making ends meet."

Millions in the middle class struggle as well. College tuition is $50k/year per kid. Such is life. Doesn't make it bad. Giving stuff away for free via Gov't spend is not the answer. Unless you are a moron.
I don't know. I think investing in a better educated workforce might be worth it in the long run. Economists know that part of the slower growth the past several years was because young college grads are so burdened with debt that they can't afford to buy a home, start a family, be good serious consumers. Yet it has been drilled into all of them that a college education is necessary for a financially secure life.
So what's to be done? I know some people are looking to businesses to take up some of the burden, and that's fine for big businesses; that might help. Or figure out what is making the cost of higher education so goddamned expensive? I suspect it is something of a racket. I don't know for sure, though.

Show of hands, everyone who thinks Old Lady appears to be someone whose advice on how to educate people is worth a fart in a wind tunnel.

You'd have been far better off with OL as your teacher than your Mama at home skool with her GED. ;)

He has debated a lot of people as a guest on various "news" agencies CNN, FoxNews etc. I do not know if he has debated issues one on one with a candidate.
And BTW, people are wrong here saying he is a republican. I do not believe he has ever stated what party he belongs to, if any. He speaks out against Republican leaders all the time. And is critical of Trump as well.
He is certainly conservative, no doubt. But he is not a "spinner", he is not at all like most speakers that will present to you one side of an issue while leaving out something else just to make his point.
He is the best political speaker in the nation as far as I am concerned, and certainly many agree with that.

He actually is a registered Republican. He's said so several times on his show. However, he feels that - and intellectual honesty - obligate him to call out Republican leaders when he thinks they're wrong.

Who is Ben Shapiro?
Aren't debates usually between candidates? Is he running for something?
How old are you? 75? 80? Who helped you get online today?
I'm 63, asshole. You could be helpful by linking me up to some snippet of profundity by this Superhuman and stop insulting me for no reason.

And you could stop giving us reasons by looking it up yourself instead of expecting us to do it for you.

The point is, this woman accomplished something pretty remarkable in a very peculiar voting district. And now she is being feted all over the country on interview shows where she is asked fatuous questions and allowed to ramble on without interruption or contradiction, on subjects where her content is nothing but vacuous blather. She shows herself as not particularly intelligent or well-informed, and certainly not worthy of being elevated to the informal position of, "The Future of the Democratic Party!"

Hence, Shapiro tries to embarrass her with a tongue-in-cheek offer of a campaign contribution in exchange for a "debate," knowing that she wouldn't accept such an invitation in a thousand years. She would be annihilated.

Shapiro - 1
Alexandria - 0

I don't think it was tongue-in-cheek. I think he very much expected her to run and hide like a scared little girl - as she, in fact, did - but I also think he's quite serious about being willing to have the debate/interview/whatever, if she ever puts on her big-girl panties and takes his challenge.

And yes, he'd take her positions apart like a cheap watch.

I agree. Most opponents want to debate. It gives them a chance to put forth their opinion on a subject and what they will do.

The fact that this idiot doesn't want to debate and then insults the other party speaks volumes.

Sure hope she never makes it.

She has it made already unless someone steps up and opposes her

Anthony Pappas is - nominally - opposing her. Of course, there's no evidence he's actually started campaigning.

He has debated a lot of people as a guest on various "news" agencies CNN, FoxNews etc. I do not know if he has debated issues one on one with a candidate.
And BTW, people are wrong here saying he is a republican. I do not believe he has ever stated what party he belongs to, if any. He speaks out against Republican leaders all the time. And is critical of Trump as well.
He is certainly conservative, no doubt. But he is not a "spinner", he is not at all like most speakers that will present to you one side of an issue while leaving out something else just to make his point.
He is the best political speaker in the nation as far as I am concerned, and certainly many agree with that.
You make him sound interesting. I may just have to check him out, after all. Is he something like a Krauthammer? The reincarnation of William F. Buckley Jr.?

For being as young as he is...he is remarkable. This guy has an uncanny ability to retain knowledge.
Just forewarning... he has kind of an annoying voice...kind of "whiney" sounding...obviously he can't change that. He is very quick, and very straight forward.... and because of that can come off being a smart ass...but he isn't, that is just the way he talks.
Youtube him....there are 10,000's of videos on there.

I rather like his voice, although that could just be because I'm partially deaf, and his voice is easier for me to hear clearly than most people's.

Forum List

Back