🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

OFO Asst Director Admits more than 150 People A Day Come to America from Ebola Stricken Countries

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
Rep. Cory Gardner: (Dr. Frieden) I think you mentioned there were approximately 100 to 150 people a day coming into the United States from the infected areas.

Dr. Tom Frieden: That’s my understanding, yes.

Gardner: And, Mr. Wagner you admitted we’re screening 94% of those people?

John P. Wagner: As of today that covers about 94%.

Gardner: So if 94% are being covered, that means somewhere between two and three thousand people a year are coming into this country without being screened from the infected areas?

So, that's 100 to 150 per day, 700 to 1050 people each week, 4200 people a month, or 50,200 people a year. There are roughly 2,000 people a year don't get properly screened for Ebola.

So, if each of those people interact with just two other people each day, why don't we have 500 million cases of ebola?

So, if each of those people interact with just two other people each day, why don't we have 500 million cases of ebola?

Because not all of them have Ebola.
And this tells you what?

That it isn't as bad as you think it is. Not every single person who gets through carries the virus. The odds of that happening approach infinity.
Exactly.

Lets say that 3 people have managed to get through in the past 1 year.

They interact with just two people a day, no more for five years.

That is 2190 people in the first year.

Each of those 2190 people interact with just two people a day for one year...

By the end of the second year, you have another 2190 plus 2190 per 2190 initially contacted....that is 2190*2190+2190.....4798290

By the end of the five years, you will have had over a billion people exposed to Ebola...

Today, we have how many cases of Ebola in America?

And this tells you what?

That it isn't as bad as you think it is. Not every single person who gets through carries the virus. The odds of that happening approach infinity.
Exactly.

By the end of the second year, you have another 2190 plus 2190 per 2190 initially contacted....that is 2190*2190+2190.....4798290

By the end of the five years, you will have had over a billion people exposed to Ebola...

That math doesn't take into account if the person doesn't come into contact with anyone at all. That drastically lowers the exposure rate. It assumes that each person infected with Ebola will expose two others. That isn't always the case.

HOWEVER, this math proves correct given that since nearly 50,000 of these people come to America each year, and just a few hundred of them have the virus, you could see that kind of exposure rate. But even as inept as the CDC is at handling the problem, it is very doubtful a pandemic will occur here in America.

Last edited:

And this tells you what?

Exactly.

That math doesn't take into account if the person doesn't come into contact with anyone at all. That drastically lowers the exposure rate. It assumes that each person infected with Ebola will expose two others. That isn't always the case.
It is called an example for purposes of demonstration.

Unless you are a hermit, a person will come into contact with many more than just two people in a single day.

I'm trying to get people to think rationally about this, but when you have people claiming that because one other person beside the index patient has contracted Ebola, that the entire country is going to be dead by the end of the week, its difficult to get through that kind of irrational fear.

Consider the numbers of people your OP claims and if we take just the smallest amount of those as infected, inside of a year, the whole planet, not just America, would be dead.

But we're not.

Now, what doe that tell you about the infection rate of Ebola and can you now think of reasonable causes of why, a technologically backwards country with little concept of personal hygiene, would have an incredible amount of expansion of this disease?

I'm trying to get people to think rationally about this, but when you have people claiming that because one other person beside the index patient has contracted Ebola, that the entire country is going to be dead by the end of the week, its difficult to get through that kind of irrational fear.

Of course. The situation is being overhyped. But even still, we can become complacent about it. The pot boils whether or not you're looking at it. I have friends in Germany who say it's all sensationalism.

[

Then Why are you Wingnuts acting like World War Z has just broken out?

world-war-z-2.jpg

But you want to treat them all like they do.

And people like you want to blame the opposing party for causing it. Now, where in my thread did I say "all of them" had it? You care to quote me?

Well, we do blame you for cutting the agencies that could have helped contain and treat the problem, yeah.

But you don't need you no government, Runs With Scissors.

Of course. The situation is being overhyped. But even still, we can become complacent about it. The pot boils whether or not you're looking at it. I have friends in Germany who say it's all sensationalism.
At this point, it is all politics.

Dems blaming Republicans..

Republicans blaming Obama...

The world turns...But we are no more at risk now then we were 2 years ago.

And people like you want to blame the opposing party for causing it. Now, where in my thread did I say "all of them" had it? You care to quote me?

distortion and misdirection are all they have on this one.

You can't know for sure until you quarantine them.
I have no problem with quarantining people with deadly diseases, but I'm not sure what you mean by not knowing for sure.

Its pretty straight forward logic and math. The risk is low, and the world is not going to end next Thursday...or even on a Thursday 15 years from now....at least, not from Ebola......

I'm just getting tired of the chicken little's running around with pieces of sky in their hair.

Forum List

Back