🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Oh-Oh, For Obamacare

Now that we passed it we are finding out what's in it. :lol:

AP: Glitch in Obamacare would place couples earning up to $64,000 in Medicaid

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's health care law would let several million middle-class people get nearly free insurance meant for the poor, a twist government number crunchers say they discovered only after the complex bill was signed.
The change would affect early retirees: A married couple could have an annual income of about $64,000 and still get Medicaid, said officials who make long-range cost estimates for the Health and Human Services department.

"The fact that this is being discovered now tells you, what else is baked into this law?" said Leavitt, who served as Health and Human Services secretary under President George H.W. Bush. "It clearly begins to reveal that the nature of the law was to put more and more people under eligibility for government insurance."
That $64,000 would put them at about four times the federal poverty level, which for a two-person household is $14,710 this year. The Medicaid expansion in the health care law was supposed to benefit childless adults with incomes up to 133 percent of the poverty level. A fudge factor built into the law bumps that up to 138 percent.

Read more: APNewsBreak: A twist in Obama's health care law | AP Business News - The News Tribune

There has never been a major piece of legislation that hasn't required modifications. The Affordable Healthcare Act is no different...

:lol::lol::lol:

yea I heard that back in 1990, when medicare had gone to 92 BILLION on a projection in 1964 when the bill was passed of ...wait for it...........

I said, wait for it!!!

12 billion...:lol:

yup, I am sure its " no different"

and IF I remember correctly SCHIP, underwent significant mission creep, where in kids in households earning $82600 (400 percent of the federal poverty level) where covered.

here? they just built in the creep form the git go.

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's health care law would let several million middle-class people get nearly free insurance meant for the poor, a twist government number crunchers say they discovered only after the complex bill was signed.
The change would affect early retirees: A married couple could have an annual income of about $64,000 and still get Medicaid, said officials who make long-range cost estimates for the Health and Human Services department.

"The fact that this is being discovered now tells you, what else is baked into this law?" said Leavitt, who served as Health and Human Services secretary under President George H.W. Bush. "It clearly begins to reveal that the nature of the law was to put more and more people under eligibility for government insurance."
That $64,000 would put them at about four times the federal poverty level, which for a two-person household is $14,710 this year. The Medicaid expansion in the health care law was supposed to benefit childless adults with incomes up to 133 percent of the poverty level. A fudge factor built into the law bumps that up to 138 percent.

Read more: APNewsBreak: A twist in Obama's health care law | AP Business News - The News Tribune

There has never been a major piece of legislation that hasn't required modifications. The Affordable Healthcare Act is no different...

yea I heard that back in 1990, when medicare had gone to 92 BILLION on a projection in 1964 when the bill was passed of ...wait for it...........

I said, wait for it!!!

Liberoidals = The Jeff Spicoli of politics.

"We can fix that...My dad is a teevee repair man, he has the ultimate set of tools"

"The fact that this is being discovered now tells you, what else is baked into this law?" said Leavitt, who served as Health and Human Services secretary under President George H.W. Bush.

...this isn't being discovered now, nor is it "glitch." This is part of the House's revisions to the Senate bill in March 2010. The House bill extended Medicaid eligibility up to 150% of the poverty line, the Senate bill extended it only to 133%. The compromise was the Senate bill's 133% coupled with a 5% income disregard, effectively putting the eligibility threshold at 138%.

If you're still in the dark about some of these basic facts about the law, there are some very digestible bite-size summaries available out there (e.g. KFF's Medicaid and CHIP provisions in the new health reform law notes the 5 percent income disregard on page 1). The simplified way income is to be counted also isn't a revelation. These threads would be much more interesting if they were aimed at highlighting areas for improvement in the policy, not anger that you just became aware of what it is.

the AP is just being alarmist?

from the AP article-

Medicare chief actuary Richard Foster says the situation keeps him up at night.

“I don’t generally comment on the pros or cons of policy, but that just doesn’t make sense,” Foster said during a question-and-answer session at a recent professional society meeting.

“This is a situation that got no attention at all,” added Foster. “And even now, as I raise the issue with various policymakers, people are not rushing to say … we need to do something about this.”

snip the pay off pitch;

The actuary's office said the early retirees eligible for Medicaid would be on top of an estimated 16 million to 20 million new people that Obama's law already brings into the program, by opening it to childless adults with incomes near the poverty level.

It's unclear how much it would cost to cover the retirees. Federal taxpayers will cover the entire initial cost of the expansion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110621...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDYXBuZXdzYnJlYWth

you bet they will......

I said, wait for it!!!

Liberoidals = The Jeff Spicoli of politics.

"We can fix that...My dad is a teevee repair man, he has the ultimate set of tools"

AND he slept at a holiday inn;)

anyone here ever see any of the matt helm films?

I remember one that reminds me of this whole magilla......where in Victor Buono is a mr evil type guy, he gonna launch a rocket and take out DC, so matt sneaks into his complex blows the fucker all to hell, meanwhile in the background, you keep hearing this controlled, calm, soothing voice even as the roof caves in;

Its 20 minutes to launch and everything is still....A-OK....

Its 10 minutes to launch and everything is still....A-OK....

Its....

kinda like Obamacare....Its 2 years to launch and everything is still....A-OK...

As usual, the right wing Pharisees never include one penny of human capital in any of their equations. Their solutions always require some group of human beings to evaporate.

In 1965, the elderly were the group most likely to be living in poverty--nearly one in three were poor. Today, the poverty rate for the elderly is similar to that of the age group 18-64--about 1 in 10 are poor.

About one-half of America's seniors did not have hospital insurance prior to Medicare. By contrast, 75 percent of adults under age 65 had hospital insurance, primarily through their employer. For the uninsured, needing hospital services could mean going without health care or turning to family, friends, and/or charity to cover medical bills. More than one in four elderly were estimated to go without medical care due to cost concerns.

Medicare, along with other programs, notably Social Security, and a strong economy, have greatly improved the ability of the elderly and the disabled to live without these worries. Medicare covers nearly all of the elderly (about 97 percent), making them the population group most likely to have health insurance coverage.

Luke 16:13-15

13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon (money).”

14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.

15 He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of man, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valuable in the eyes of man is detestable in God’s sight.

You shall rise up before the gray-headed and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the Lord.
Leviticus 19:32

As usual, the right wing Pharisees never include one penny of human capital in any of their equations. Their solutions always require some group of human beings to evaporate.

In 1965, the elderly were the group most likely to be living in poverty--nearly one in three were poor. Today, the poverty rate for the elderly is similar to that of the age group 18-64--about 1 in 10 are poor.

About one-half of America's seniors did not have hospital insurance prior to Medicare. By contrast, 75 percent of adults under age 65 had hospital insurance, primarily through their employer. For the uninsured, needing hospital services could mean going without health care or turning to family, friends, and/or charity to cover medical bills. More than one in four elderly were estimated to go without medical care due to cost concerns.

Medicare, along with other programs, notably Social Security, and a strong economy, have greatly improved the ability of the elderly and the disabled to live without these worries. Medicare covers nearly all of the elderly (about 97 percent), making them the population group most likely to have health insurance coverage.

13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon (money).”

15 He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of man, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valuable in the eyes of man is detestable in God’s sight.

You shall rise up before the gray-headed and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the Lord.

Yeah, the rightwing-nuts on USMB, of which they are legion, seem to have selective memories. The increase in HC costs was growing at multiples of the rate of inflation but as far as they recall, everything was peachy :eusa_liar: History for them began in 2008

luko.jpg

Last edited:

:lol:

Oh herrrree we go, now hes playing the; 'let me point out how much a better person I am than you because I love old sick people, AND my argument just fell apart' card.....dude, get a life, buy one if you have too....:lol:

Yeah, the rightwing-nuts on USMB, of which they are legion, seem to have selective memories. The increase in HC costs was growing at multiples of the rate of inflation but as far as they recall, everything was peachy :eusa_liar: History for them began in 2008

luko.jpg

tissue? shawl?

tsk tsk tsk I so hate that word "free" libturds are morons.

lol at affordable

Hey! "Free" is affordable. You moranous! :lol:

:lol:

Oh herrrree we go, now hes playing the; 'let me point out how much a better person I am than you because I love old sick people, AND my argument just fell apart' card.....dude, get a life, buy one if you have too....:lol:

The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back