OK, In the Event of A Power Outage, How are Millions of People Going to Charge their EVs?

I saw where the power was lost in a large part of AL last night and is still out.....What of wide-spread power outages due to ice storms, tornados, hurricanes, brown-outs when power can be lost/curtailed for weeks? Where's you EV gawd then?

Seems to me EV should stand for Extremely Vulnerable.
I won't buy an EV unless I can conveniently charge it off-grid.

The battery capacity of the Tesla Model S ranges from 100 kWh on newer models to 104 kWh on older models.

On average, a household consumes 28 kWh of electricity per day. (867 kWh / 30 days)

somebody want to do the math?
You would have to install 6,000-12,000 watts of solar array just to keep up with house usage and charging of the car. However, Your EV is at work during the day, when the sun is shining, and in your garage when it is not. So solar charging is a no go. You must have another source of energy storage to charge your EV or use the grid. This is not going to end well.. Failure to think things through is always what bites you in the ass.

You would have to install 6,000-12,000 watts of solar array just to keep up with house usage and charging of the car. However, Your EV is at work during the day, when the sun is shining, and in your garage when it is not. So solar charging is a no go. You must have another source of energy storage to charge your EV or use the grid. This is not going to end well.. Failure to think things through is always what bites you in the ass.
How would you like to be a lineman working around all those jackleg EV home charging installations?

How would you like to be a lineman working around all those jackleg EV home charging installations?
Grid tie systems are very dangerous. As a lineman you would have to go house to house and disconnect them before you can fix problems on the line. That is why they designed smart meters. The power company can disconnect your home remotely, but they are not a guarantee they will disconnect.

Grid tie systems are very dangerous. As a lineman you would have to go house to house and disconnect them before you can fix problems on the line. That is why they designed smart meters. The power company can disconnect your home remotely, but they are not a guarantee they will disconnect.
I can just see them being installed in CA by some Hispanic housekeeper's cousin doing electrical work on the side.

I saw where the power was lost in a large part of AL last night and is still out.....What of wide-spread power outages due to ice storms, tornados, hurricanes, brown-outs when power can be lost/curtailed for weeks? Where's you EV gawd then?

Lol, ya do realize that those gas pumps run on electricity right?

Lol, ya do realize that those gas pumps run on electricity right?

My fueling station has a generator back-up. I don't know if all of them do in my AO or not. It also supplies the local PD/FD with gas/fuel and is a rather large facility. You have to have a fuel card/account to fuel there, they don't take CCs.....Best kept secret in town. ;)

How Do Gas Stations Operate Without Electricity?

excellent point

My fueling station has a generator back-up. I don't know if all of them do in my AO or not. It also supplies the local PD/FD with gas/fuel and is a rather large facility. You have to have a fuel card/account to fuel there, they don't take CCs.....Best kept secret in town. ;)

How Do Gas Stations Operate Without Electricity?
Lol, I have generator back up also. Solar panels being added in July. Don't have the electric vehicle yet but coming in next few years.

Unless you have the backup on hand now, you're just blowing smoke..

When the power goes out for real, generators are the first thing that get sold out wherever they're stoccked.
I have 2.
1 powered by city gas, one by propane.

So you're saying you're going to run down to the Exxon station with your generator and hook it up to their pumps?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Many states requires gas stations to have backup power in the case of a power outage.

Uh-huh....And you would be in a vast minority.

What are you going to do when the mob believes that they're entitled to your energy?
What mob?
Ohhhhh
you mean the idiots who drive gas cars and want to take my 1200 pound generator to the EXXON station?

GEEZ. You people just get dumber and dumber with every rant.

Wait a minute…
You have to plan ahead to have gas cans ready to fill your tank
Few people have more than a five gallon can

The same planning ahead that an EV user will do to fully charge your vehicle when a major storm is predicted
That's not true at all pumpkin---I have the cans and the gas for emergencies.

Forum List

Back