🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Okay...Am I just not "Progressive" enough?

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
So, I found this story on Facebook, which, in turn, led me to a Washington Post story. Chick saw this picture at a public pool (2, actually):

imrs.php

And, apparently, lost her shit.

“I saw this one, and I just kept thinking, ‘It looks like they’re trying to do something here that shows all kids together of all different backgrounds, but they’re clearly not hitting the mark,’” she said.

Not only were the poster’s designers not hitting the mark, Sawyer thought, they had created an image that was racist. Sawyer complained to a lifeguard at the first facility and penned a letter to management asking for the poster’s removal, she told KUSA.

After seeing the poster a second time, she posted an image of it online.

“I felt really angry,” she said.

The poster — titled “Be Cool, Follow The Rules” — depicts various children playing at the pool. But white children are labeled as behaving in a “cool” way while children of color who are depicted defying pool rules are labeled “not cool.”

KUSA discovered that the poster was from a safe-swimming campaign in 2014.​

Okay, look. There is clearly a white kid carry a soda labelled "Not Cool", and another one running who is "Not Cool". Now, if you count up all of the cools, and not cools, are they perfectly matched? No. But, guess what? There are seven activities being displayed. Its not gonna be even!

Look. I'm just as sensitive to racism as the next Progressive, but come on!!! Really?!?! You guys don't think this is maybe just a little butt hurt looking for an excuse to be butt hurt?

So, I found this story on Facebook, which, in turn, led me to a Washington Post story. Chick saw this picture at a public pool (2, actually):

imrs.php

“I saw this one, and I just kept thinking, ‘It looks like they’re trying to do something here that shows all kids together of all different backgrounds, but they’re clearly not hitting the mark,’” she said.

Not only were the poster’s designers not hitting the mark, Sawyer thought, they had created an image that was racist. Sawyer complained to a lifeguard at the first facility and penned a letter to management asking for the poster’s removal, she told KUSA.

The poster — titled “Be Cool, Follow The Rules” — depicts various children playing at the pool. But white children are labeled as behaving in a “cool” way while children of color who are depicted defying pool rules are labeled “not cool.”

Okay, look. There is clearly a white kid carry a soda labelled "Not Cool", and another one running who is "Not Cool". Now, if you count up all of the cools, and not cools, are they perfectly matched? No. But, guess what? There are seven activities being displayed. Its not gonna be even!

Look. I'm just as sensitive to racism as the next Progressive, but come on!!! Really?!?! You guys don't think this is maybe just a little butt hurt looking for an excuse to be butt hurt?
It gets complicated! It seems that sometimes butt hurt is cool. Just this morning, a self proclaimed smart progressive declared that if you are too stupid to agree, it's because your low effort thinking fails to grasp the nuance.

imrs.php

It gets complicated! It seems that sometimes butt hurt is cool. Just this morning, a self proclaimed smart progressive declared that if you are too stupid to agree, it's because of nuance.
Yeah, see? I don't even know what that's supposed to mean...

imrs.php

Probably a Berner.

imrs.php

Probably a Berner.
I don't know about that. Nothing in Sanders' campaign suggested that he, or his supporters were overly sensitive when it comes to the question of racism.

It gets complicated! It seems that sometimes butt hurt is cool. Just this morning, a self proclaimed smart progressive declared that if you are too stupid to agree, it's because your low effort thinking fails to grasp the nuance.

I saw that one, too.

It's amazing how many words somebody can devote to saying "My team is great and your team is all a bunch of big, bad poopyheads". It is almost as if the number of words used was inversely proportional to the actual intelligence on display.

imrs.php

I don't think it was intentional.

But when a black kid is involved in all but one instance of "not cool" and zero instances of "cool" then perhaps it's time to get a new pool safety poster and we can all move on.

imrs.php

But when a black kid is involved in all but one instance of "not cool" and zero instances of "cool" then perhaps it's time to get a new pool safety poster and we can all move on.
And this is important enough to get butt hurt over? Because fictional black kids on a poster weren't called "cool"? Really??? And they wonder why conservatives call progressives reactionary, and petty...

imrs.php

And this is important enough to get butt hurt over? Because fictional black kids on a poster weren't called "cool"? Really??? And they wonder why conservatives call progressives reactionary, and petty...

No, probably not butt hurt and I don't think there is much of a reason to get bent out of shape about the poster but I can also understand if black people don't feel like getting over it and want them to change it.

imrs.php

No, probably not butt hurt and I don't think there is much of a reason to get bent out of shape about the poster but I can also understand if black people don't feel like getting over it and want them to change it.
Okay. So, at what point do we stop looking for reasons to be pissed off for any, and every perceived slight?

JTIknSz.jpg

imrs.php

Okay. So, at what point do we stop looking for reasons to be pissed off for any, and every perceived slight?

JTIknSz.jpg

I'm not pissed off.

The poster is a little odd in it's characterizations though so I can understand, or at least emphasize with people who maybe don't like to be portrayed as breaking all the rules as compared to others. That's all, I can see their point.

What I think is off putting is when people simply don't try to understand something that others feel that may not impact them directly. This poster thing is being blown up by the right who piss themselves over thinking their rights are being taken away just as much by black people who may find the poster offensive. Why is that? Why does it just happen to be the same people who get bummed because there is no socially acceptable group called the NAAWP?

Everybody gets butt hurt about race, it just so happens the racists are usually on the wrong side.

Last edited:

imrs.php

As soon as our politicians stop telling us how everybody hates everybody in their efforts to get votes.

imrs.php

JTIknSz.jpg

I'm not pissed off.
I wasn't referring to you. You seem to be defending the reaction of the person in the OP, thjough. So, I am forced to wonder, at what point do we tell these people, get over yourself, your being butt hurt just for the sake of being butt hurt.

imrs.php

As soon as our politicians stop telling us how everybody hates everybody in their efforts to get votes.
Nehhh...:dunno: There are cases where there is actual racism, bigotry, and hatred going on. I'm just saying that, perhaps our energies might be better spent dealing with actual bigotry, rather than looking for insults that aren't really there...

JTIknSz.jpg

I'm not pissed off.
I wasn't referring to you. You seem to be defending the reaction of the person in the OP, thjough. So, I am forced to wonder, at what point do we tell these people, get over yourself, your being butt hurt just for the sake of being butt hurt.
you cant.

Because if you say it to a black, you are a racist (even if you are black)...if you say it to a woman you are a sexist....if you say it to someone who is Muslim you are an islamophobe (even if you didn't know they were muslim).......

So you cant.

Nehhh...:dunno: There are cases where there is actual racism, bigotry, and hatred going on. I'm just saying that, perhaps our energies might be better spent dealing with actual bigotry, rather than looking for insults that aren't really there...
that has been my argument all along.

But when you cry racism for something that was not racially motivated, you diminish the importance of crying racism for things that WERE true racism

Rdean is a classic example of someone who says it is racism when a black man and a white man have an argument......not even caring who started it.

If you argue with a black man for any reason and you are white, it is racially motivated.

Makes me sick.

JTIknSz.jpg

I'm not pissed off.

I know, we're cool. Actually I edited my post I think after you replied, here is the entirety of it:

I'm not pissed off.

The poster is a little odd in it's characterizations though so I can understand, or at least emphasize with people who maybe don't like to be portrayed as breaking all the rules as compared to others. That's all, I can see their point.

What I think is off putting is when people simply don't try to understand something that others feel that may not impact them directly. This poster thing is being blown up by the right who piss themselves over thinking their rights are being taken away just as much by black people who may find the poster offensive. Why is that? Why does it just happen to be the same people who get bummed because there is no socially acceptable group called the NAAWP?

Everybody gets butt hurt about race, it just so happens the racists are usually on the wrong side.

I have to say, if I were black, I probably would take issue with the poster. Not necessarily flip out, but I wouldn't want to see it at my local watering hole.

Forum List

Back