Okay...Am I just not "Progressive" enough?

So, I found this story on Facebook, which, in turn, led me to a Washington Post story. Chick saw this picture at a public pool (2, actually):

imrs.php

And, apparently, lost her shit.

“I saw this one, and I just kept thinking, ‘It looks like they’re trying to do something here that shows all kids together of all different backgrounds, but they’re clearly not hitting the mark,’” she said.

Not only were the poster’s designers not hitting the mark, Sawyer thought, they had created an image that was racist. Sawyer complained to a lifeguard at the first facility and penned a letter to management asking for the poster’s removal, she told KUSA.

After seeing the poster a second time, she posted an image of it online.

“I felt really angry,” she said.

The poster — titled “Be Cool, Follow The Rules” — depicts various children playing at the pool. But white children are labeled as behaving in a “cool” way while children of color who are depicted defying pool rules are labeled “not cool.”

KUSA discovered that the poster was from a safe-swimming campaign in 2014.​

Okay, look. There is clearly a white kid carry a soda labelled "Not Cool", and another one running who is "Not Cool". Now, if you count up all of the cools, and not cools, are they perfectly matched? No. But, guess what? There are seven activities being displayed. Its not gonna be even!

Look. I'm just as sensitive to racism as the next Progressive, but come on!!! Really?!?! You guys don't think this is maybe just a little butt hurt looking for an excuse to be butt hurt?

I think the point they were making was having colored kids in a public pool is....Not Cool
it isn't cool. They cant swim. Its a body structure kinda thing.

They should hang out by the fire hydrants on the hot days.

You agree?

:)

We used to have strict rules about negroes using public pools

Now the Red Cross is reminding us that negroes using the same pool as whites is....Not cool

well.....actually...in the case of the ad.....it can be somewhat insulting to a black mother who has bent over backwards to teach her children the proper way to act.

However...I do not know if you recall.....a few months back there was an ad for Target or Walmart...or maybe it was Bloomingdales....

It was a picture of a few teens....all different races.....standing at ease...and one white teen was leaning on the black teens shoulder.

There was outrage....it implied the black teen was subordinate to the white teen. They were forced to pull the ad.

The irony?

At the same time, there was a similar ad with the black teen leaning on the shoulder of the white teen....by the same retailer.

No outrage. No threat of boycott. Ad still running.
And see/ i see this stupid shit happen all the time - both with racism, and with sexism.

You guys remember the pop song that came out a few months ago...i don't know...maybe it was last year...and everyone thought it was the greatest funniest fucking song ever. It was called "X's and O's" The very first time I heard that song, and listened to the actual lyrics, I so wanted some male pop star to do a cover of that song, and see how funny the women all over the place would have found it, then.
I have been a conservative for the better part of the last 40 years. My family knows it, my friends know it. Not so much in what I believe ideologically, but how I live my life. They laugh at how I blamed ONLY MYSELF for the losses I took in the market. After all, I wanted my money to make money for me, so if I lost its my fault. They never hear me blame anyone for anything that happens to me. It is a standing joke in my family and around my friends.

Why do I tell you this?

Back in 2007, when my sister (and a bunch of others over a few days) asked if I was voting for Obama, I said no.

Her response (and others).....?

You wont vote for him because he is black.

Apparently, a conservative wont vote for a liberal black candidate with the democratic party ONLY Because he is black.
I remember when that was the thing going around. I'm a progressive, and I thought that was stupid. Is there a single thing in Obama's agenda that you agree with?
Very little.
Precisely. When a conservative doesn't vote for a Progressive, race, or gender is rarely the first thing I think of.

Although I might submit that Hillary might be a better choice than your "conservative" (and I use that term loosely) alternative in this election. just sayin...
I am not voting for Trump.

I am voting against the Supreme Court appointee(s) of Clinton.

I can live with 4 years of a lousy President in trump.

I cant live with a liberal interpretation of the constitution.

I have to ask because I don't know....What exactly does "butt hurt" mean? I looked here -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suggestions/butt hurt -- to no avail.

View attachment 79872

I can glean that it means something more akin to one of these -- embarrass, discomfit, abash, disconcert, rattle -- than it is to to "a physically hurting posterior." What is the correct connotation, please?
LMFAO! Really? You're not familiar with that phrase? "Butt Hurt" is getting your feelings hurt, being offended or getting all bent out of shape because of something petty or stupid.

I thought that was a common idiom.

And see/ i see this stupid shit happen all the time - both with racism, and with sexism.

You guys remember the pop song that came out a few months ago...i don't know...maybe it was last year...and everyone thought it was the greatest funniest fucking song ever. It was called "X's and O's" The very first time I heard that song, and listened to the actual lyrics, I so wanted some male pop star to do a cover of that song, and see how funny the women all over the place would have found it, then.
I have been a conservative for the better part of the last 40 years. My family knows it, my friends know it. Not so much in what I believe ideologically, but how I live my life. They laugh at how I blamed ONLY MYSELF for the losses I took in the market. After all, I wanted my money to make money for me, so if I lost its my fault. They never hear me blame anyone for anything that happens to me. It is a standing joke in my family and around my friends.

Why do I tell you this?

Back in 2007, when my sister (and a bunch of others over a few days) asked if I was voting for Obama, I said no.

Apparently, a conservative wont vote for a liberal black candidate with the democratic party ONLY Because he is black.
I remember when that was the thing going around. I'm a progressive, and I thought that was stupid. Is there a single thing in Obama's agenda that you agree with?
Very little.
Precisely. When a conservative doesn't vote for a Progressive, race, or gender is rarely the first thing I think of.

Although I might submit that Hillary might be a better choice than your "conservative" (and I use that term loosely) alternative in this election. just sayin...

You sure about that? You let that man within a hundred miles of the nuclear codes, and are you sure there will be a "four years"? Cuz I'm not.

So, I found this story on Facebook, which, in turn, led me to a Washington Post story. Chick saw this picture at a public pool (2, actually):

imrs.php

“I saw this one, and I just kept thinking, ‘It looks like they’re trying to do something here that shows all kids together of all different backgrounds, but they’re clearly not hitting the mark,’” she said.

Not only were the poster’s designers not hitting the mark, Sawyer thought, they had created an image that was racist. Sawyer complained to a lifeguard at the first facility and penned a letter to management asking for the poster’s removal, she told KUSA.

The poster — titled “Be Cool, Follow The Rules” — depicts various children playing at the pool. But white children are labeled as behaving in a “cool” way while children of color who are depicted defying pool rules are labeled “not cool.”

Okay, look. There is clearly a white kid carry a soda labelled "Not Cool", and another one running who is "Not Cool". Now, if you count up all of the cools, and not cools, are they perfectly matched? No. But, guess what? There are seven activities being displayed. Its not gonna be even!

Look. I'm just as sensitive to racism as the next Progressive, but come on!!! Really?!?! You guys don't think this is maybe just a little butt hurt looking for an excuse to be butt hurt?

I think the point they were making was having colored kids in a public pool is....Not Cool

You agree?

Now the Red Cross is reminding us that negroes using the same pool as whites is....Not cool

You literally just came up outa your bomb shelter didn't you? I know that whole Black/White desegregation thing, and the whole women really are equal thing probably threw you for a loop. But, I'm curious. What was your first thought when you encountered a colour television for the first time?

Why do I tell you this?

Very little.

You sure about that? You let that man within a hundred miles of the nuclear codes, and are you sure there will be a "four years"? Cuz I'm not.
to me that is rhetoric. We have a very solid checks and balances system in our government. Yes, I found that Obama tried to circumvent it with his executive orders....but the Supreme Court kept him in check...and congress and the supreme court will keep Trump in check.

And please...I don't want to hear how Bush had twice as many executive orders than Obama.

Bush's executive orders were renaming ships, renaming streets, and things that do not affect law.

Obama affected law with his EO's.....that's why his were brought to the supreme court and Bushs werent

imrs.php

You agree?

You literally just came up outa your bomb shelter didn't you? I know that whole Black/White desegregation thing, and the whole women really are equal thing probably threw you for a loop. But, I'm curious. What was your first thought when you encountered a colour television for the first time?
Rightwinger is a progressive with a very sarcastic tone to his posts..

He was only joking around.

Very little.

to me that is rhetoric. We have a very solid checks and balances system in our government. Yes, I found that Obama tried to circumvent it with his executive orders....but the Supreme Court kept him in check...and congress and the supreme court will keep Trump in check.

And please...I don't want to hear how Bush had twice as many executive orders than Obama.

Bush's executive orders were renaming ships, renaming streets, and things that do not affect law.

Obama affected law with his EO's.....that's why his were brought to the supreme court and Bushs werent
You think so? No one has been able to keep Trump "in check" so far, what makes you think it will be any different once he's elected?

imrs.php

You agree?

Rightwinger is a progressive with a very sarcastic tone to his posts..

He was only joking around.
Um...okay. Because he literally sounds like a throw-back to the old pre-civil rights dixiecrats.

Very little.

You think so? No one has been able to keep Trump "in check" so far, what makes you think it will be any different once he's elected?
the rule of law.

I suggest reading up on the three branches and how they keep each other in check.

I have to ask because I don't know....What exactly does "butt hurt" mean? I looked here -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suggestions/butt hurt -- to no avail.

View attachment 79872

I can glean that it means something more akin to one of these -- embarrass, discomfit, abash, disconcert, rattle -- than it is to to "a physically hurting posterior." What is the correct connotation, please?
LMFAO! Really? You're not familiar with that phrase? "Butt Hurt" is getting your feelings hurt, being offended or getting all bent out of shape because of something petty or stupid.

I thought that was a common idiom.

Thank you.

Red:
No, I am/was not. That's why I asked.

Blue:
It may be a common idiom. I can't say. I can only say it hasn't until today become so common that it's made its way into the written literature or spoken vernacular that has come my way.

imrs.php

You agree?

We never got one of them newfangled colour TVs

We were stuck with color TV

What was your first thought when you encountered a colour television for the first time?

Off Topic:
Your question that followed the other comments reminded me of the television show I Love Lucy. You may wonder why. Well, because when the whole "Trump and Latinos thing" made news, I wondered, "From whence comes all this anti-Latino 'stuff?' " In my effort to get a better understanding of it, I stumbled upon a paper, "I Love Ricky: How Desi Arnaz Challenged American Popular Culture," along with some other writings.

What I found from the assortment of them was surprising, but I suppose not entirely unexpected.
  • CBS and it's sponsor initially turned down the idea of the I Love Lucy show because they felt Desi was "too ethnic". (As far as I knew, each person had their ethnicity to the same degree. How a person can be "too ethnic", we'll never know.) They felt it would be impossible to create a TV show centered around their married life without making it completely about race. As far as CBS was concerned, it was unimaginable that a white, all-American gal like Lucy could be married to a Cuban fella like Desi. In 1950, they offered to make another TV show, with Lucy and a white guy, so that American families could relate more easily. Lucy's response was a soundly "no". Either we're both in this or I walk.

Arnaz and Ball repeatedly to get producers to cast them together, yet neither the networks, producers, nor talent agents, were willing. “What typical American girl is married to a Latin?” they all asked. The couple formed Desilu Productions in response, thus themselves assuming the risk and financial burden of producing the show.

They proved themselves to CBS by putting on a vaudevillian act, that toured around America in 1950. The crowds adored them. Lucy and Desi were a hit, but the CBS bosses were still skeptical.The network's "yes" felt more like an "alrighty, then" to the couple who had twenty years of discouragement in Hollywood on their backs. Cigarette giant Philip Morris was gonna pay for it, so why not?

Sources: In addition to the paper noted above, Love In Technicolor: Interracial Families On Television
With that as a contextual backdrop, I come now to what in your remark catalyzed my thinking of I Love Lucy. Looking at the show, or at photos, it's pretty clear that among the risk management tactics, and circumstances to a degree, is that Arnaz for all intents and purposes looked like a white guy not like a Latino, (though he it seems was portrayed in accordance with then extant Latino stereotypes) the show was viewed on black and white television.

images
10506732_1.jpg

desi-arnaz-pictures.jpg

While it was obvious that Arnaz was of Latin descent, he was "whitened" too. Sure he was Cuban, but I don't think many people perceived him as Caribbean Latino, but rather as European Latino, Spanish. Even today, people are naive enough to think of him as white.

Now the matter of white Cubans isn't a new "thing." I don't really want to drive this discussion down that road; it's why I wrote "off topic" at the start of this post, so please don't go there. (Create a new thread if that's your intent.) I also don't want to go there because the whole thing of white Cubans strikes me as substantively the same as that which drove the "brown paper bag."

Does this woman look black to you?

lena-horne-4.jpg

lena-horne-pictures.jpg

Well she was. The actress pictured is Lena Horne.

Lena-Horne.jpg

Now there's no denying Horne had more aquiline features, but American racial attitudes don't derive from bone structure. It's all about skin color.

And no, black folks didn't look white in the '50s and '60s era photography merely because photographic and lighting technology wasn't capable of accurately depicting their skin tone.

Black-Famous-People.jpg
5fbda36b1eb21cc7f45a5ec8934dcd2e.jpg
Frederick-Douglass.jpg

Sadly, colorism, like racism, isn't dead. Looking at the images below, it seems there remains a "light, if not really white, is better."

Beyonce-loreal-resize.jpg

sidibe-resize.jpg

Dr. Tyson is already a light skinned black man, but apparently not light enough. LOL

Tyson-resize.jpg

Lupito-cover-resize.jpg

kerry-washington-instyle.jpg

It seems it's not entirely a "black thing."

freida-pinto-vanity-fair.jpg

aishwya-rai-elle.jpg

At any rate, it was just something that, as I said, came to mind upon seeing your question about black and white television. I just thought it'd be something interesting to share, not knowing what awareness of these things folks here have.

Forum List

Back