On a scale of 1 - 5 how much do you care about Puerto Rico?

On a scale of 1 - 5, 5 being the most, how much do you care about Puerto Rico?

• Total voters

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
A few people who don't know anything about Puerto Rico pretended to care about whatever happens there in another thread tonight.

So I thought this would be a good poll. Maybe I'll follow it up with a thread about if anyone can tell me anything about anything that ever happened there in the last several hundred years. :dunno:

We'll see...

Well...I care more about Puerto Ricans than just about all that fake tweeting about "Bring our girls home"....anyone remember that......I know, I know....that was sooooooo 2014.........and they still aren't home...are they....

I lived there for 6.5 years back in the 90s when I was in the military, met many good people, also met many real assholes. I wouldn't even think of living there outside a community with armed guards, the cops are as corrupt as most third world countries and crime was rampant. Believe it or not at one time PR was the car jacking capital of the US, you wouldn't think that to be the case on an island of just 3,500 square miles.

The islands of PR are beautiful and the diving is great but the people leave a lot to be desired and have no appreciation for what they have.

Hmmmm...what makes you think I drink.....your powers of observation are sadly lacking....but you probably vote for democrats....that explains a lot....

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
  • Banned
I lived there for 6.5 years back in the 90s when I was in the military, met many good people, also met many real assholes. I wouldn't even think of living there outside a community with armed guards, the cops are as corrupt as most third world countries and crime was rampant. Believe it or not at one time PR was the car jacking capital of the US, you wouldn't think that to be the case on an island of just 3,500 square miles.

The islands of PR are beautiful and the diving is great but the people leave a lot to be desired and have no appreciation for what they have.
Unfortunately living in a gated community there is the only real option for living there... if you're expecting to live like a standard American at least. But then again... anywhere in the world that you can live like a standard American is pretty damn rare...

Where did you live btw? I'd love to talk to you about some places you might have visited on the island!

Unfortunately living in a gated community there is the only real option for living there... if you're expecting to live like a standard American at least. But then again... anywhere in the world that you can live like a standard American is pretty damn rare...

Where did you live btw? I'd love to talk to you about some places you might have visited on the island!

I lived on Ft. Buchanan, during my stay there I went all over the main island and spent a lot of time on and around the smaller islands. I think the only one I never set foot on was Vieques.

• Banned

I lived on Ft. Buchanan, during my stay there I went all over the main island and spent a lot of time on and around the smaller islands. I think the only one I never set foot on was Vieques.

Did you ever head to Culebra? And by any chance did you make it to Gilligan's Island?

I've never been to Vieques either. I'm too used to it being a testing ground for the U.S. military. I've heard there are great beaches there now though.

We should just make them a state already or cut them loose.

Did you ever head to Culebra? And by any chance did you make it to Gilligan's Island?

I've never been to Vieques either. I'm too used to it being a testing ground for the U.S. military. I've heard there are great beaches there now though.

I'v been to Culebra and Culebrita, I don't recall Gilligans Island though, where is it in relation to Culebra? I bought a boat while I was there a spent most of my free time diving. I got cannon balls and mortars from San Juan Harbor, 17th century glass bottles out of the sand off a beach not too far east of Buchanan, the name of it eludes at the moment. Had many good times there.

I'v been to Culebra and Culebrita, I don't recall Gilligans Island though, where is it in relation to Culebra? I bought a boat while I was there a spent most of my free time diving. I got cannon balls and mortars from San Juan Harbor, 17th century glass bottles out of the sand off a beach not too far east of Buchanan, the name of it eludes at the moment. Had many good times there.

Gilligan's is at the south part of the island. If you ever go back look it up man. If I was about to die and had one last place I could visit that might be it.

Gilligan__s_Island_by_jorge3d.jpg

gilligans-island-guanica-13.jpg

8386181676_e1120f7f51_b.jpg

f71e7fba105b9b7e85b1ba8bd7239993_scale.jpg

But then again Culebra is arguably better. Did you go to Flamenco Beach? Man I love Puerto Rico... maybe I'm too biased to be talking about it...

You're old enough to remember the largest airborne drop by the US during the Cold War. This was in 1969 when Castro was sending his mercenaries all over Africa while talking a lot of shit at home. The Vietnam War was at it's height and Russians were threatening to get involved, while the American left was busy sabotaging the country from within. The world situation was tenuous.

So the 82nd Airborne Division and the 101st Airborne Division jumped into Puerto Rico, near Ponce, with the message for Castro that we could do the same on his island and kick his ass over a long weekend. We put on a huge war game (17,000 of America's best troops) and did some serious hiking and meeting with the populous. We were there not only to give Castro the message not to fuck with Puerto Rico, but also to mix and mingle with Puerto Rico's people and to give them the message that we'd be there if they needed us...quick. I thought Puerto Rico was beautiful, very lush, and the people were warm. I spent one week of my life there and I'm really glad I did. It was a grand adventure

You're old enough to remember the largest airborne drop by the US during the Cold War. This was in 1969 when Castro was sending his mercenaries all over Africa while talking a lot of shit at home. The Vietnam War was at it's height and Russians were threatening to get involved, while the American left was busy sabotaging the country from within. The world situation was tenuous.

So the 82nd Airborne Division and the 101st Airborne Division jumped into Puerto Rico, near Ponce, with the message for Castro that we could do the same on his island and kick his ass over a long weekend. We put on a huge war game (17,000 of America's best troops) and did some serious hiking and meeting with the populous. We were there not only to give Castro the message not to fuck with Puerto Rico, but also to mix and mingle with Puerto Rico's people and to give them the message that we'd be there if they needed us...quick. I thought Puerto Rico was beautiful, very lush, and the people were warm. I spent one week of my life there and I'm really glad I did. It was a grand adventure
Bless you man :thup:

But then again Culebra is arguably better. Did you go to Flamenco Beach? Man I love Puerto Rico... maybe I'm too biased to be talking about it...

I went to many beaches, I don't recall that one though, like I said I spent most of my time 50-80 feet under the waters surface. My only major disappointment was out of almost 800 dives i never saw a shark.

I went to many beaches, I don't recall that one though, like I said I spent most of my time 50-80 feet under the waters surface. My only major disappointment was out of almost 800 dives i never saw a shark.
Well you clearly saw more of Puerto Rico than most people get to see! I wish more people got that chance! If you ever decide to go back please PM me. Maybe I can point you to some places :thup:

Camp Santiago is really one of the worse places on the island, although I took some fantastic sunset photos just east of there when they were burning sugar cane, the smoke made for some beautiful colors.

Forum List

Back