On a scale of 1 - 5 how much do you care about Puerto Rico?

On a scale of 1 - 5, 5 being the most, how much do you care about Puerto Rico?

• Total voters
I lived on Ft. Buchanan, during my stay there I went all over the main island and spent a lot of time on and around the smaller islands. I think the only one I never set foot on was Vieques.

Did you ever head to Culebra? And by any chance did you make it to Gilligan's Island?

I've never been to Vieques either. I'm too used to it being a testing ground for the U.S. military. I've heard there are great beaches there now though.

I'v been to Culebra and Culebrita, I don't recall Gilligans Island though, where is it in relation to Culebra? I bought a boat while I was there a spent most of my free time diving. I got cannon balls and mortars from San Juan Harbor, 17th century glass bottles out of the sand off a beach not too far east of Buchanan, the name of it eludes at the moment. Had many good times there.

But then again Culebra is arguably better. Did you go to Flamenco Beach? Man I love Puerto Rico... maybe I'm too biased to be talking about it...

I went to many beaches, I don't recall that one though, like I said I spent most of my time 50-80 feet under the waters surface. My only major disappointment was out of almost 800 dives i never saw a shark.
Well you clearly saw more of Puerto Rico than most people get to see! I wish more people got that chance! If you ever decide to go back please PM me. Maybe I can point you to some places :thup:

I did, believe it or not I saw more of it than most Puerto Ricans, one guy I worked with was 30 years old and had hardly been outside San Juan. What I find myself missing more and more is the food from the street vendors, you can't beat it.

I can say I love the beaches in Puerto Rico...it's been a long time since I've been there.

hmmm, maybe I'll change my travel plans...

A few people who don't know anything about Puerto Rico pretended to care about whatever happens there in another thread tonight.

So I thought this would be a good poll. Maybe I'll follow it up with a thread about if anyone can tell me anything about anything that ever happened there in the last several hundred years. :dunno:

We'll see...
on a scale of 1-5 my not giving a fuck about PR goes to 6

We should just make them a state already or cut them loose.

I agree. We have trashed their economy, their manufacturing and their agriculture and left them with poverty and unemployment. The tee potty mayor of San Juan - corrupt beyond belief.

Without exception, the people I've met there have been friendly and open.

Its a beautiful place but not everyone can live on the tourism.

I was stationed at Roosevelt Roads Naval base for 3 years and loved it. I was on a base though and outside of the fence was dangerous because of Los Macheteros assholes. here is a photo of the beach near the SeaBee base.

5106563.jpg

I lived there for 6.5 years back in the 90s when I was in the military, met many good people, also met many real assholes. I wouldn't even think of living there outside a community with armed guards, the cops are as corrupt as most third world countries and crime was rampant. Believe it or not at one time PR was the car jacking capital of the US, you wouldn't think that to be the case on an island of just 3,500 square miles.

The islands of PR are beautiful and the diving is great but the people leave a lot to be desired and have no appreciation for what they have.
Unfortunately living in a gated community there is the only real option for living there... if you're expecting to live like a standard American at least. But then again... anywhere in the world that you can live like a standard American is pretty damn rare...

Where did you live btw? I'd love to talk to you about some places you might have visited on the island!

I lived on Ft. Buchanan, during my stay there I went all over the main island and spent a lot of time on and around the smaller islands. I think the only one I never set foot on was Vieques.
Vieques is a beautiful island.

I lived there for 6.5 years back in the 90s when I was in the military, met many good people, also met many real assholes. I wouldn't even think of living there outside a community with armed guards, the cops are as corrupt as most third world countries and crime was rampant. Believe it or not at one time PR was the car jacking capital of the US, you wouldn't think that to be the case on an island of just 3,500 square miles.

The islands of PR are beautiful and the diving is great but the people leave a lot to be desired and have no appreciation for what they have.
Unfortunately living in a gated community there is the only real option for living there... if you're expecting to live like a standard American at least. But then again... anywhere in the world that you can live like a standard American is pretty damn rare...

Where did you live btw? I'd love to talk to you about some places you might have visited on the island!

My Wife went to HS at FT Bucanan. Her Dad was Command Master Cheif at Sabana Seca

My Wife went to HS at FT Bucanan. Her Dad was Command Master Cheif at Sabana Seca

I spent quite a bit of time at Sabana Seca, I won't tell you why because I could be identified by people that were there for the same reason. Sabana Seca monitored communication all over the Caribbean.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

I spent quite a bit of time at Sabana Seca, I won't tell you why because I could be identified by people that were there for the same reason. Sabana Seca monitored communication all over the Caribbean.
My Wifes Dad was a CT, so I know all of what was going on at Sabana Seca. Spooks

A few people who don't know anything about Puerto Rico pretended to care about whatever happens there in another thread tonight.

So I thought this would be a good poll. Maybe I'll follow it up with a thread about if anyone can tell me anything about anything that ever happened there in the last several hundred years. :dunno:

We'll see...
I was stationed there a long time ago, so what do you want to know?

I can tell you the people there are incredibly friendly and will give you the shirts off their backs. They also know how to party.

They look down on "New York Ricans", as they call them. They consider "New York Rican" to be an insult and don't like to be associated with the Puerto Ricans who live in New York.

There are more Puerto Ricans in New York than there are in Puerto Rico!

I lived off base and immersed myself in the culture. I really enjoyed my time there. However, I considered them the worst drivers in the world...until I went to Oregon.

There were other people stationed with me who were bigots and hated Puerto Rico.

Puerto Ricans come in all colors. Skin, hair, eyes. Black as ebony to white as Sean Hannity. Some of the white Puerto Ricans try to pass as non-Puerto Ricans, and this causes other Puerto Ricans to sneer at them and call them "New York Ricans". :D

The people are divided on statehood. The ones who don't want statehood enjoy the benefits of being an American territory without all the regulatory hassles that come with being a state.

Last edited:

We'll see...
I was stationed there a long time ago, so what do you want to know?

I can tell you the people there are incredibly friendly and will give you the shirts off their backs. They also know how to party.

They look down on "New York Ricans", as they call them. They consider "New York Rican" to be an insult and don't like to be associated with the Puerto Ricans who live in New York.

There are more Puerto Ricans in New York than there are in Puerto Rico!

I lived off base and immersed myself in the culture. I really enjoyed my time there. However, I considered them the worst drivers in the world...until I went to Oregon.

There were other people stationed with me who were bigots and hated Puerto Rico.

Puerto Ricans come in all colors. Skin, hair, eyes. Black as ebony to white as Sean Hannity. Some of the white Puerto Ricans try to pass as non-Puerto Ricans, and this causes other Puerto Ricans to sneer at them and call them "New York Ricans". :D

The people are divided on statehood. The ones who don't want statehood enjoy the benefits of being an American territory without all the regulatory hassles that come with being a state.

Their representative has a office in DC but no vote.

I lived in two different houses in Puerto Rico and they were robbed a total of three times.

Both houses backed onto a public housing project. After the first robbery, I climbed over the metal fence which surrounded my house (as they do most houses), and found a warren of footpaths leading from the public housing project to every house on my street! They were concealed by an overgrowth of brush which provided a kind of vegetative roof over the no man's land between my neighborhood and the public housing project.

The funny thing about the first robbery is that they stole my roommate's weight set. They had to carry that stuff over a ten foot high wrought iron fence!

The second time I was robbed, the thieves were caught. You see, there were no glass windows on houses back then, because of the frequency of hurricanes. Houses didn't have air conditioning, either, so the windows were just screens with metal louvres over them.

A thief brought his four year old kid brother, pried apart the louvres on one of my windows and had the little squirt scramble inside and unlock the door. Then he sent the young'un out front to be a lookout.

I had a very annoying nosy neighbor, and it paid off on this day. She saw the kid hanging around outside my house and got suspicious, so she called the cops. Then she went outside to interrogate the kid.

Incredibly, the older thief in my house saw my neighbor leave her house and go outside to talk to his little brother, so he climbed up onto my roof, jumped over to her roof and broke into her house!

Now that is some balls.

What he didn't know was the cops had been called and so he was caught.

I moved not longer after that into another house. This house also backed onto the no man's land, and so I bought an alarm system for my new house.

Guess what the thieves who broke into that house took?

My alarm system. And an oscillating fan. That's it.

I didn't even call the cops. I just laughed my ass off. I guess they needed an alarm system to protect all the shit they stole from other people.

We'll see...

I like Puerto Rico, I am a big fan of their cuisine and the people are nice, I like the ladies too.

We'll see...

Obama and the party of Democrats would love it. VOTES! VOTES! VOTES!

Puerto Rico: Obama’s perfect 51st state

Poverty, government reliance make welfare island liberal ideal

Last November 6, in a non-binding statehood referendum, a majority of Puerto Rican voters — 61% — indicated they want the island to become the 51st U.S. state.

And the Obama administration is all too happy to comply. In fact, White House spokesman Jay Carney called on lawmakers to take action. “Congress should now study the results closely, and provide the people of Puerto Rico with a clear path forward that lays out the means by which Puerto Ricans themselves can determine their own status,” Carney said after the vote.

Puerto Rico Obama s perfect 51st state Seeing Red AZ

We'll see...

I like Puerto Rico, I am a big fan of their cuisine and the people are nice, I like the ladies too.
Indeed, the ladies are nice. My oh my, are they nice.

As for the cuisine, I was quite the heavy drinker back in the day, and I used to party in Old San Juan and live off those meatsticks. I forget what they are called. Of course, there was the usual jokes about it being dog meat, but that was my sustenance when I was partying. A dollar apiece.

I also loved those "coco frios". Awesome beverage. Also a dollar.

For those who don't know, PR had food vendors along highway 3 (PR 3) who would sell to passing cars. One of my favorites was the vendors who would chill coconuts. You give them a dollar, they take a big green coconut the size of your head out of the chiller, chop off the top, stick a straw in it.

Dee-licious!

We'll see...

Indeed, the ladies are nice. My oh my, are they nice.

As for the cuisine, I was quite the heavy drinker back in the day, and I used to party in Old San Juan and live off those meatsticks. I forget what they are called. Of course, there was the usual jokes about it being dog meat, but that was my sustenance when I was partying. A dollar apiece.

I also loved those "coco frios". Awesome beverage. Also a dollar.

For those who don't know, PR had food vendors along highway 3 (PR 3) who would sell to passing cars. One of my favorites was the vendors who would chill coconuts. You give them a dollar, they take a big green coconut the size of your head out of the chiller, chop off the top, stick a straw in it.

Dee-licious!

I would love to go there for a weekend!

My wife's family is from PR and she herself lived there for about 18 months while she was a teenager. Had a wonderful week and a half there in the summer of 2013. I would love to go back again.

Of course I'd also like to see the PR people be told to either become the 51st State or become their own country again, with zero US aid.

My wife's family is from PR and she herself lived there for about 18 months while she was a teenager. Had a wonderful week and a half there in the summer of 2013. I would love to go back again.

Of course I'd also like to see the PR people be told to either become the 51st State or become their own country again, with zero US aid.
It was a non-binding vote but they did vote for statehood back in 2012.

Forum List

Back