🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Once again dems talk about mileage( movement) taxes

thereisnospoon

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2010
mid south
Some democrats fearing they will get caught with their hand in the highway trust fund cookie jar are talking mileage taxes again.
The Idea That Won?t Die: How Taxing Cars by the Mile is Back on the Agenda Again | TheBlaze.com

The federal government is using this to double tax us. I would expect the movement tax would be in addition to the existing federal gas tax. Rather than instead of it.
I would also suspect this is just another method beside the requirement that cell phones must have GPS technology installed, to track our whereabouts.

Didn't everyone know that this would happen with high mileage and electric cars? It has to. There won't be enough money to maintain the roads. The bad thing that we should be fighting is gas taxes AND mileage taxes. One or the other. Not both.

Didn't everyone know that this would happen with high mileage and electric cars? It has to. There won't be enough money to maintain the roads. The bad thing that we should be fighting is gas taxes AND mileage taxes. One or the other. Not both.

These types of proposals are all similar in nature.
The government lets us know it is a good idea to conserve( whatever). Next thing you know, that same government then punishes us for conserving.
During the second alleged Arab oil embargo( 1979) our politicians told us to conserve gasoline to avoid shortages. They made up rules for rationing.
Then on the news we started hearing the term "monthly gasoline allocation"...This was the amount of gasoline theoretically each state would be shipped based on the monthly consumption or sales of fuel. And of course a few months down the road we are told that because our drivers did such a wonderful job conserving fuel...wait for it.....The state's fuel allocation would be lower than the previous month.
In essence we softened the effects of any potential shortage by using less. And in their infinite wisdom these jerks turn around and create a shortage anyway. Of course the price of gas went up as well.
Oh.....If your state has a lottery from which thre proceeds were supposed to go to public education..well here's the bullshit o rama on that..
Here in NC the state govt got a bit tired of watching money fly across the state lines as we were surrounded by lottery legal states. SO NC decides to get on the lottery bandwagon. And to sell it so the Church people would just have a calf instead of a whole cow, they said "it's for the kid's education"...Of course the taxpayers are now expecting tax relief with all the millions more going to state coffers. Not so fast.....Our property taxes, most of which are to fund schools, were never lowered.
No, governments rarely ever surrender a tax.
A movement tax will most definitely be "in addition to" as opposed "instead of"....
Double taxation.

How many trillions of our tax dollars did fiscally conservative Republicans squander on invading and torturing Iraq over lies?

Could any portion of those trillions of tax dollars have been better used to repair roads and improve schools? Or was invading and torturing Iraq over lies the most responsible thing that fiscally conservative Republicans could do with our tax dollars?

I think this is is a horrible idea, and I am a Democrat....

It defeats the purpose of polluting less, entirely.

I think this is is a horrible idea, and I am a Democrat....

It defeats the purpose of polluting less, entirely.

see, but if they don't discuss ideas and just rant about democrats and/or liberals and/or progressives, they don't actually have to think.
I can understand how the gvt may be getting less transportation taxes collected due to people having fuel efficient cars....but I do feel the transportation budget has many things in it that should never be in it....such as building a statue for the god Thor in Alabama, or a bridge to nowhere in Alaska, and even the enormous amounts for the Big Dig in Boston...I could see funding it some, but to the degree that it did might have been excessive.....

There are many ways to improve the transportation budget as it stands, just by cutting some of it's unnecessary spending.

And since our roads and bridges are in such disrepair, we need to fix them....not just for drivers that drive on them, but for the whole nation who relies on our interstate highways for their own jobs to even exist and the food on their table to even exist.....even if they take the train to work....

so, if additional tax monies are needed, I personally think it should come out of the general fund and they should cut other spending to pay for it....

I don't know if that is realistic or not....?

Some democrats fearing they will get caught with their hand in the highway trust fund cookie jar are talking mileage taxes again.
The Idea That Won?t Die: How Taxing Cars by the Mile is Back on the Agenda Again | TheBlaze.com

The federal government is using this to double tax us. I would expect the movement tax would be in addition to the existing federal gas tax. Rather than instead of it.
I would also suspect this is just another method beside the requirement that cell phones must have GPS technology installed, to track our whereabouts.
no, it's not in addition, from what this says in your link

CBO has raised the issue a few times before as an option Congress should consider. Back in 2011, it released a report that used several pages to analyze how a “vehicle miles traveled,” or VMT system, might operate.
According to that report, it’s a “consensus” view of transportation experts that a VMT system should be seen as a “leading alternative to fuel taxes as a source of funding for highways.” It said VMT taxes in other countries have been shown to reduce road traffic, since people choose to drive less in order to avoid higher taxes.

Here is the problem. If we go to EV's, the gas tax that funds the roads decline. So, either we fund the road maintenance and repair out of the general fund, or we do a mileage tax. I much prefer out of the general fund, for the reason that a mileage tax involves some kind of tracking of you and your vehicle.

How many trillions of our tax dollars did fiscally conservative Republicans squander on invading and torturing Iraq over lies?

Could any portion of those trillions of tax dollars have been better used to repair roads and improve schools? Or was invading and torturing Iraq over lies the most responsible thing that fiscally conservative Republicans could do with our tax dollars?

Which is all the more reason not to send DC anymore money than they already do.

I thought Dems liked poor people----why are they going to punish them for driving ?

Last edited:
Hidden, the cost of having a transmitting GPS in every vehicle. Concealed in the price of a new vehicle (if anyone can afford one) and later as a mandatory add-on. Don't want one? Probably a scheme where you don't have to have one if you pay some gigantic flat fee annually.

But won't you just love having government tracking your every movement just as they track your every e-mail, phone call and blog post?

Hidden, the cost of having a transmitting GPS in every vehicle. Concealed in the price of a new vehicle (if anyone can afford one) and later as a mandatory add-on. Don't want one? Probably a scheme where you don't have to have one if you pay some gigantic flat fee annually.

But won't you just love having government tracking your every movement just as they track your every e-mail, phone call and blog post?

why wouldn't they just record your odometer when you have a vehicle inspection done?

why wouldn't they just record your odometer when you have a vehicle inspection done?

Effective in states having an inspection program. Some do not. Of course this would represent an opportunity to attack unemployment by hiring a herd of new federal bureaucrats and setting up inspection stations in thousands of places.

Effective in states having an inspection program. Some do not. Of course this would represent an opportunity to attack unemployment by hiring a herd of new federal bureaucrats and setting up inspection stations in thousands of places.
frankly i can't believe there are states that don't do vehicle inspections. seems crazy unsafe to just allow anything with wheels and a motor on the road.

our tax dollars don't go as far as they used to, and our cars go farther on a gallon of gas than they used to. sure we could increase the gas tax, but eventually we'd end up in the same spot as alternatives to gas become more prevalent. a usage tax seems the only long term solution.

Last edited:

frankly i can't believe there are states that don't do vehicle inspections. seems crazy unsafe to just allow anything with wheels and a motor on the road.

Keep on believing - Your New Messiah is counting on it.

Meanwhile, there is also at least one state where, once you're over 65, vehicle registration is free and the certificate issues never has to be renewed. Only thing is you have to remember to keep your plates and notify DMV if you sell or trade the permanently registered vehicle.

No, I'm not going to tell you which state or states. If you're interested enough a web search will tell you but I'm not going to encourage you to migrate.

Keep on believing - Your New Messiah is counting on it.

Meanwhile, there is also at least one state where, once you're over 65, vehicle registration is free and the certificate issues never has to be renewed. Only thing is you have to remember to keep your plates and notify DMV if you sell or trade the permanently registered vehicle.

No, I'm not going to tell you which state or states. If you're interested enough a web search will tell you but I'm not going to encourage you to migrate.
i guess you misunderstand me. I believe the states exist, i just can't believe they're that stupid.

Non sequitur
You'll not be derailing the thread. Get it?

Forum List

Back