One man stops the Yellowstone buffalo slaughter

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Yellowstone Announces End to 2014 Bison Slaughter Following One-Man Blockade | EcoWatch

0.png

Jacobs blocked the road before more wild bison could be loaded onto trailers destined for slaughter facilities. Jacobs handcuffed himself to a hunter orange 55-gallon barrel filled with concrete, and wire-mesh webbing spanning the entrance to the roadway. Photo credit: Deby Dixon/ BFC

Jacobs was charged with three offenses: disorderly conduct, breaking a closure and interfering with a government operation. He was offered a plea bargain: if he plead guilty he would be charged $1,000 in restitution, be placed on unsupervised probation for five year and be banned from Yellowstone National Park for five years.

Jacobs did not accept the plea bargain, as he is awaiting further legal counsel. There will be a continuation of his arraignment on April 2. If Jacobs chooses to go to trial, he will be tried by a judge and not a jury of his peers.

The goal of Comfrey’s decision to block access to Yellowstone’s bison trap was to prevent more of America’s last wild, migratory bison from being shipped to slaughter. Jacobs stalled slaughter operations for more than two hours.

Comfrey’s action demonstrated strong public opposition to the buffalo slaughter and has drawn an incredible amount of media and public attention to the issue. The day following Jacob’s blockade, Yellowstone National Park issued their only press release for this year’s controversial bison operations, announcing that the Stephens Creek bison trap was empty and Yellowstone had no further plans to capture this season.

“My action raised enough public awareness that Yellowstone announced a cease to their operations the following day,” Jacobs said.

This was the first time a citizen exercised civil disobedience at Yellowstone’s Stephens Creek bison trap. Yellowstone National Park initiates a seven-mile public access closure surrounding their Stephens Creek bison trap while highly controversial bison management activities are underway. Members of Buffalo Field Campaign (BFC) were present to document and lend support.

Comfrey told Buffalo Field Campaign, “I have no regrets. I accept all the consequences of my actions and hope it raises awareness on this issue.”

Since Feb. 7, approximately 450 wild buffalo have been captured in Yellowstone National Park’s Stephens Creek bison trap, located in the Gardiner Basin. 318 were shipped to slaughter or research facilities and some were released. Additionally, more than 270 wild bison have been killed by state and treaty hunters just outside Yellowstone’s boundary in Montana.

Through hunting, slaughter and consignment to research, more than 600 of America’s last wild, migratory bison have been eliminated this year, marking a decimation of the world’s most significant bison herds.

“Comfrey Jacobs is a hero,” said BFC’s Executive Director Dan Brister. “His actions speak for thousands of people who are upset by the slaughter of America’s last wild buffalo.”

U0d.png

Perfectly formed and only six weeks away from being born, a buffalo calf, still attached to the womb, is discarded in his mother’s gut pile. Adult female buffalo are taking the brunt of the killing through hunting and slaughter. Photo credit: Stephany Seay/ BFC

Never doubt that the actions of one single person can make a difference.

:eusa_clap:

good grief, just let them take over the park...they can just eliminate people using it

that would be fine you lovers of animals/abortions wouldn't it?

here is perfectly formed HUMAN BEING that will be RIPPED from it's mother gut with abortion...Too bad you all aren't for stopping the slaughter of them

Last edited:
I'm not into abortion, but I am into wildlife.....living wildlife, not a museum...

People better WAKE up in this country

You have radical environmentalist and PETA running it right now in government

so this what you get, care for animals, plants and trees OVER YOU

good grief, just let them take over the park...they can just eliminate people using it

here is perfectly formed HUMAN BEING that will be RIPPED from it's mother gut with abortion...Too bad you all aren't for stopping the slaughter of them

As we all well know, the R is trying to turn our national parks into cities for condos and McDonald's. There is no way you can make a case for paving over our national parks so give it up.

Actually, you're so damn fucking stupid and stuck in your one dimensional, hate-filled dementia, I'd bet you believe the shit you spew.

And, how dare you say that a buffalo is worth the same as human baby. I DESPISE you nutters for always saying animals are worth the same as animals. Get a clue, you sicko stupid jerk. I know you hate it but for most real human beings, human babies are worth much more than animals and they should be to you as well.

As we all well know, the R is trying to turn our national parks into cities for condos and McDonald's. There is no way you can make a case for paving over our national parks so give it up.

Actually, you're so damn fucking stupid and stuck in your one dimensional, hate-filled dementia, I'd bet you believe the shit you spew.

And, how dare you say that a buffalo is worth the same as human baby. I DESPISE you nutters for always saying animals are worth the same as animals. Get a clue, you sicko stupid jerk. I know you hate it but for most real human beings, human babies are worth much more than animals and they should be to you as well.

You're full of bs...You have to lie to people for your agenda..It's a sick trait with you on left
anyone who has lived off the land knows you have to thin a herd of animal or it will take over the land...so who is it that is trying to keep people from using our National parks
you radicals in the environmental movement and Peta who care for more animals than they do people...shameful and hurtful to us liars

here is what is actually happening. its actually population management.

Frequently Asked Questions: Bison Management - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Why are bison being removed from the population?
Bison populations increase rapidly when environmental conditions are suitable. Yellowstone bison are prolific and have high survival rates, with wolves currently killing few bison because elk are more vulnerable prey.
Bison need to be removed from the population at times. The fast-growing bison population could fill available habitat and out-pace the acquisition of additional habitat and tolerance for bison in Montana. Options for relocating Yellowstone bison elsewhere are limited by real and perceived disease and social concerns.
Under-nutrition (starvation) only contributes to high mortality when bison abundance is high and snow pack is at or above average. Also, most bison migrate to lower elevation areas in response to such severe weather events—which eventually brings them into conflict with agriculture and development.
The food-limited carrying capacity inside the park could be as high as 5,500 to 7,500 bison during winter, but lower-elevation habitat for bison is limited by mountains in the park and by competition with agriculture, development, and transportation systems outside the park.
A panel of expert scientists reviewing Yellowstone bison and brucellosis issues in 2013 concluded that culling or removals of bison, along with hunting, would be necessary to limit the size of the bison population for biological, social, and political reasons.

You're full of bs...You have to lie to people for your agenda..It's a sick trait with you on left
anyone who has lived off the land knows you have to thin a herd of animal or it will take over the land...so who is it that is trying to keep people from using our National parks
you radicals in the environmental movement and Peta who care for more animals than they do people...shameful and hurtful to us liars

Normal people do not compare national parks and buffalo to abortion and human fetuses.

You're a sick twitch.

Its not just activists who value and use our wild land and you're stupid to say it.

Frequently Asked Questions: Bison Management - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Bison populations increase rapidly when environmental conditions are suitable. Yellowstone bison are prolific and have high survival rates, with wolves currently killing few bison because elk are more vulnerable prey.
Bison need to be removed from the population at times. The fast-growing bison population could fill available habitat and out-pace the acquisition of additional habitat and tolerance for bison in Montana. Options for relocating Yellowstone bison elsewhere are limited by real and perceived disease and social concerns.
Under-nutrition (starvation) only contributes to high mortality when bison abundance is high and snow pack is at or above average. Also, most bison migrate to lower elevation areas in response to such severe weather events—which eventually brings them into conflict with agriculture and development.
The food-limited carrying capacity inside the park could be as high as 5,500 to 7,500 bison during winter, but lower-elevation habitat for bison is limited by mountains in the park and by competition with agriculture, development, and transportation systems outside the park.
A panel of expert scientists reviewing Yellowstone bison and brucellosis issues in 2013 concluded that culling or removals of bison, along with hunting, would be necessary to limit the size of the bison population for biological, social, and political reasons.

Actually, there's more to this -
Yellowstone and its partners in the Interagency Bison Management Plan (IBMP) have set an arbitrary population target of 3,000-3,500 bison ...

The "partners" are livestock growers who get tax subsidies from the US govt.

Edited to add, and your link is from the US govt.

Normal people do not compare national parks and buffalo to abortion and human fetuses.

You're a sick twitch.

Its not just activists who value and use our wild land and you're stupid to say it.

oh no, they can show a picture of a baby buffalo and cry how it's being ripped from it's mothers gut, but compare that to a BABY that is having the same thing done, and notice they are called, (human fetus ) by you radicals in the Environmental/peta movement, and be accused of not being, NORMAL and called a bitch

you people are like cockroaches, you hate it when a light is shined on your true agenda...We need to fumigate you OUT OF OUR LIVES and LIVELIHOODS

Last edited:

Actually, there's more to this -
Yellowstone and its partners in the Interagency Bison Management Plan (IBMP) have set an arbitrary population target of 3,000-3,500 bison ...

The "partners" are livestock growers who get tax subsidies from the US govt.

So what? So the idea is to limit the Yellowstone herd so it doesn't feel the need to go outside of Yellowstone's borders, thus protecting them from hunters and protecting the ranchers cattle herds from the disease the Bison carry.

Where is your quote from?

You're a sick twitch.

Why do you make up such silly stupid shit like this??

Normal people don't ignore what abortion is,must have hit a nerve ,ya that pic of that poor child that will never know life is in your face as it should be.

You're a sick twitch.

oh no, they can show a picture of a baby buffalo and cry how it's being ripped from it's mothers gut, but compare that to a BABY that is having the same thing done, and notice they are called, (human fetus ) by you radicals in the Environmental/peta movement, and be accused of not being, NORMAL and called a bitch

you people are like cockroaches, you hate it when a light is shined on your true agenda...We need to fumigate you OUT OF OUR LIVES and LIVELIHOODS

Key word, HUMAN.

Humans are worth more to me than any other animal and I believe its sick of you to say they're the same. That's where you and I are different.

The quote came from the link I posted.

Read the news chickenwing - selling off federal park land is what a lot of Rs are wanting right now.

You're a sick twitch.

Key word, HUMAN.

Humans are worth more to me than any other animal and I believe its sick of you to say they're the same. That's where you and I are different.

The quote came from the link I posted.

Read the news chickenwing - selling off federal park land is what a lot of Rs are wanting right now.

You're a liar, post a CREDABLE link or shut up about it...
and the lands in this country belong to WE THE PEOPLE
not the government to do and say what they wish with it
OH MAN, now you are wailing about how I am saying they are the same...Well in my book they are, I care about all of them, you selectively dismiss the care of HUMAN BABIES By supporting abortion...so go cry a frikken river

Americans like this man and Tim DeChristopher will be hailed in future history books as the Henry Thoreaus of our time.

This is great. Now perhaps the Bison will become overpopulated, malnourished and diseased.

You Greenies/Lefties are unbelievable! :mad:

This was a cull to reduce the number of animals to prevent overgrazing and provide grazing for other denizens of the park.

In other words, for once, a government agency was doing the right thing for the good of the bison, deer, elk, antelope and others living in the park.

I am also sure the cull was needed because of stupid killing of natural predators.

Another typical tactic of telling only part of the story. I also notice there was no link to any source outside of the Greenie website. :eek:

Forum List

Back