Open Concept, Traditional ... What's Your House Style?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
So we're contemplating moving. We look and look but most everything newer than 1990 or so is soooo borning. Two story foyer, two story family room, open concept living. Blech. We prefer 'semi' open concept ... open via archways in some areas, doors in others. Not a fan of kitchen open to family room at all, hate two story family rooms (will tolerate a two story foyer), LOATHE skylights. The houses we really like (early 1900's that have been updated/rehabbed) are no where near where we want to live. Even new built houses (unless you go custom) are the same, same, same.

My parents house is still sitting there, we have to decide what we're going to do with it this year. It is literally falling apart inside and it is stuck in a different era in well, in all the rooms. But man I can so see the potential in it. Toying with the idea of buying it and renovating. Watch all those HGTV shows (Property Brothers is on now and the houses they renovate are almost always really dumpy in the before and awesome when done -- although if I hear 'open concept' one more time I'll scream! lol) and know that we could change it enough that it would almost feel like a new house.

So what kind of style do you like? I always liked craftsman, Victorian, and traditional style houses.

The smaller the better, for me. No stairs or second floor. I like simple and cozy. Easier to warm, easier to cool, easier to clean, less to clutter. Cottages. With windows, open beams possibly. I wish I were younger..I would build a house of hay bales...or mud. Or built into a small hill like a hobbit house. Small!
But that's me.
Ma and Dad had a spanish style home with bits of victorian added in. I loved that house.

So what kind of style do you like? I always liked craftsman, Victorian, and traditional style houses.

I like mid century contemporary and craftsman style houses.

The McMansion blown up tract home style makes me cringe.

I like the idea of a cottage but three kids still at home for the very foreseeable future, one of them will never leave ... we're looking for just a bit more room. Neighbor here houses are toooo close together. A bit of distance -- 1/2 acre -- and some mature landscaping would remedy that.

The McMansion blight! I swear that's all that's out there and they keep building them. No imagination or clever layouts. All the wasted space in the air of a twostoryfamilyroom and the kitchen is tucked onto two walls as an after thought. Looks like a display in a store.

I like small, but open - like a open plan main floor, semi-lofts, good light. With multiple dogs - I don't like to feel like we trip each other up in tight cramped hallways. I like interesting opening, semi-pass through windows, secret passages...

I don't think that is a style though.

This could fit your described desires.

(Yurt is giving me a commission if I can sell it)

ClickHandler.ashx

I like modern, luxurious homes. A pool and outdoor kitchen/family room is mandatory. Of course I live in Los Angeles, so this is not hard to find (just expensive!!)

home-trends-small-luxury-home1.jpg

I really like windows. As many and as big as possible.

We have two houses. One is a Victorian mini-mansion, two stories and, in the original part of the house, small windows. Really nice wood floors though.

Our lake house started out as a small fishing cabin so its been built by committee. We've completely redone it so you can't tell where the old cabin was. We're on a peninsula so we have a lake view both front and back but the back is now all windows.

There are things I'd change now - closets! but I really love the skylights in both our studios and the big airy rooms. This house is as close to perfect as I can imagine. I find that as I go from room to room, I'm looking out over the lake. I just love it here.

This could fit your described desires.

(Yurt is giving me a commission if I can sell it)

ClickHandler.ashx

Love it..but it needs more windows. I hate dark houses.

Jeez, there's a house very much like that in my neighborhood! Has a sod roof like that. But it does have more windows. And the couple that live there totally match the house. He has long gray hair tied back in a pony tail and rides a bike everywhere. She has long gray hair and wears long skirts. Stuck in the 70s, I guess. :) Actually, now that I think of it, I haven't seen either of them in a long time! Worries me. Of course, it's winter, and everybody kind of holes up.

Last edited:
I like big houses. I LIKE open concept, but I don't mind interest being added with archways, etc. to divide the various living areas somewhat. I don't like houses that are split up into a bunch of rooms, other than the necessary bedrooms and bathrooms, of course. :) And maybe an office or two. :)

Well, if we every win the lottery (problem is, gotta play to win and we don't play), I will buy a coupla hunnert acres and everyone can have a tiny house like the ones I posted and plop it on the land.

I've owned three homes over the years, all built in the '20s and '30s. So much more character and charm than newer builds. Lots of rooms, lots of windows. You can't beat rock-solid plaster. :thup:
Not a fan of "open floor" concept either. I like traditional layouts.

I was told that the place we're in now was once a boarding house and Burl Ives done lived here for a spell.

I heard the "new style" of homes being built now, have no living rooms. None. Big kitchen, open, no walls, huge den with it. Nobody uses living rooms any more. Or so they say.
I don't have one. Don't miss it either. Just a den. Less dusting.:lol:

I've owned three homes over the years, all built in the '20s and '30s. So much more character and charm than newer builds. Lots of rooms, lots of windows. You can't beat rock-solid plaster. :thup:

I was told that the place we're in now was once a boarding house and Burl Ives done lived here for a spell.

Pics?

Pics?

I'm sorta drunk right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Forum List

Back