🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Our Kennedy.

RFK is saying they WOULDN'T Americanize the war as LBJ did.

He said Kennedy was not going to pull out or lose the war. Spin it, but he wasn't ready to withdraw and give up. He was staying.

President Kennedy said he wouldn't withdraw, even though the policy of the United States was to withdraw 1,000 men by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965. AND, he instructed his administration to keep that policy from the public until after the 1964 election.

On April 30, 1964, Robert Kennedy was the Attorney General of the United States. Which means he was an official member of the Johnson administration. He would still be constrained by any directive from LBJ, AND the 1964 election was still 7 months away.

Had President Kennedy lived, is it possible he would have modified the withdrawal policy? Yes, but it does not mean that he would have ever committed 200,000 troops, Americanize the war and send almost 60,000 young men to their demise.

I'll shit, the Kennedy brothers were close and shared a lot. Just because the policy says...doesn't mean shit. We have immigration policies that we have ignored for decades. Sorry, your assumption doesn't pass the litmus test. Nice try though.

RFK is saying they WOULDN'T Americanize the war as LBJ did.

He said Kennedy was not going to pull out or lose the war. Spin it, but he wasn't ready to withdraw and give up. He was staying.

President Kennedy said he wouldn't withdraw, even though the policy of the United States was to withdraw 1,000 men by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965. AND, he instructed his administration to keep that policy from the public until after the 1964 election.

On April 30, 1964, Robert Kennedy was the Attorney General of the United States. Which means he was an official member of the Johnson administration. He would still be constrained by any directive from LBJ, AND the 1964 election was still 7 months away.

Had President Kennedy lived, is it possible he would have modified the withdrawal policy? Yes, but it does not mean that he would have ever committed 200,000 troops, Americanize the war and send almost 60,000 young men to their demise.

Wait a second...now you've TOTALLY changed your argument from saying that Kennedy would definitely have withdrawn all of the troops from South Vietnam to saying that even though it's possible he would have modified the withdrawal policy (Gee, really?) it doesn't mean that he would have committed 200,000 troops to South Vietnam.

I take it that you've FINALLY come to the realization that Kennedy's "plan" to withdraw troops simply doesn't stand up to his commitment to prevent the spread of communism?

And the truth of the matter, Bfgrn...is that you are only GUESSING what Kennedy's response would have been to the increased number of North Vietnamese troops that introduced into the conflict in South Vietnam. That was what Johnson faced and that was why he increased US troop levels.

Wait a second...now you've TOTALLY changed your argument from saying that Kennedy would definitely have withdrawn all of the troops from South Vietnam to saying that even though it's possible he would have modified the withdrawal policy (Gee, really?) it doesn't mean that he would have committed 200,000 troops to South Vietnam.

I take it that you've FINALLY come to the realization that Kennedy's "plan" to withdraw troops simply doesn't stand up to his commitment to prevent the spread of communism?

I have defended your right to your opinion all along. What you have refused to do is admit that the official US policy on the day Kennedy died was withdrawal of 1,000 troops by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965, even after the Diem coup.

Of course Kennedy could have modified that policy, but I am supremely confident that if he had survived, Vietnam would have never become America's war. If you know the man and his beliefs about war there is no doubt in my mind he would have never plunged America into another Korea. LBJ showed he didn't hold any of JFK's beliefs 2 days after Kennedy died.

The policy change in Vietnam were made by LBJ, not Kennedy...

20 Nov 1963 - Honolulu Meeting Briefing Book, Part I. See also Part II.
The briefing books prepared for a Vietnam meeting in Honolulu reaffirmed the timetables for complete withdrawal from Vietnam, as well as the initial 1,000 main withdrawal, despite the recent coup in Vietnam.

22 Nov 1963 - President Kennedy assassinated.

24 Nov 1963 - Memorandum for the Record of a Meeting, Executive Office Building, Washington, November 24, 1963, 3 p.m.
Within two days of President Kennedy's death, on Sunday afternoon, President Johnson already began receiving advice that "we could not at this point or time give a particularly optimistic appraisal of the future" regarding Vietnam. President Johnson expressed dissatisfaction with the present course and particularly its emphasis on social reforms, and stated that "He was anxious to get along, win the war..."

I'll shit, the Kennedy brothers were close and shared a lot. Just because the policy says...doesn't mean shit. We have immigration policies that we have ignored for decades. Sorry, your assumption doesn't pass the litmus test. Nice try though.

Total lack of understanding of policy, protocol, and how things work...

Pure emotes.

Pure emotes.

Faced with the truth, you still maintain your idiotic stand.

You don't like being wrong, too bad.

Can't get anymore point blank than what I posted. If you aren't that smart, not my problem.

Pure emotes.

Faced with the truth, you still maintain your idiotic stand.

You don't like being wrong, too bad.

Can't get anymore point blank than what I posted. If you aren't that smart, not my problem.

The polarized right wing mind, black or white, all or none child brain...

I have defended your right to your opinion all along. What you have refused to do is admit that the official US policy on the day Kennedy died was withdrawal of 1,000 troops by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965, even after the Diem coup.

Of course Kennedy could have modified that policy, but I am supremely confident that if he had survived, Vietnam would have never become America's war. If you know the man and his beliefs about war there is no doubt in my mind he would have never plunged America into another Korea. LBJ showed he didn't hold any of JFK's beliefs 2 days after Kennedy died.

The briefing books prepared for a Vietnam meeting in Honolulu reaffirmed the timetables for complete withdrawal from Vietnam, as well as the initial 1,000 main withdrawal, despite the recent coup in Vietnam.

24 Nov 1963 - Memorandum for the Record of a Meeting, Executive Office Building, Washington, November 24, 1963, 3 p.m.
Within two days of President Kennedy's death, on Sunday afternoon, President Johnson already began receiving advice that "we could not at this point or time give a particularly optimistic appraisal of the future" regarding Vietnam. President Johnson expressed dissatisfaction with the present course and particularly its emphasis on social reforms, and stated that "He was anxious to get along, win the war..."

So you basically don't know one way or the other what Kennedy would have done but because you're so heavily invested in the "Camelot" myth, you choose to believe that Kennedy would have pulled out US troops and let South Vietnam fall to the communists, even though up to THAT point he had chosen to escalate the war rather dramatically?

And on this point you are "supremely" confident because YOU know Kennedy so well? Really? :eek:

So you basically don't know one way or the other what Kennedy would have done but because you're so heavily invested in the "Camelot" myth, you choose to believe that Kennedy would have pulled out US troops and let South Vietnam fall to the communists, even though up to THAT point he had chosen to escalate the war rather dramatically?

And on this point you are "supremely" confident because YOU know Kennedy so well? Really? :eek:

The policy on the day he died was to withdraw 1,000 troops by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965.

So you basically don't know one way or the other what Kennedy would have done but because you so heavily despise Kennedy, love Nixon and are a right wing warmonger, you choose to believe that Kennedy would have done exactly what LBJ did; send 200,000 men and the full force of our military into a civil war, Americanize the war and seal the fate of 60,000 young men.

"In the final analysis, it is their war. They are the ones who have to win it or lose it. We can help them, we can give them equipment, we can send our men out there as advisers, but they have to win it—the people of Vietnam"
President John F. Kennedy

"Yes, because I, everybody including General MacArthur felt that land conflict between our troops, white troops and Asian, would only lead to, end in disaster. So it was. . . . We went in as advisers, but to try to get the Vietnamese to fight themselves, because we couldn't win the war for them. They had to win the war for themselves."
Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy

Kennedy would have withdrawn, realizing "that it was South Vietnam's war and the people there had to win it... We couldn't win the war for them."
Secretary of Defense Robert s. McNamara

The policy on the day he died was to withdraw 1,000 troops by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965.

So you basically don't know one way or the other what Kennedy would have done but because you so heavily despise Kennedy, love Nixon and are a right wing warmonger, you choose to believe that Kennedy would have done exactly what LBJ did; send 200,000 men and the full force of our military into a civil war, Americanize the war and seal the fate of 60,000 young men.

"In the final analysis, it is their war. They are the ones who have to win it or lose it. We can help them, we can give them equipment, we can send our men out there as advisers, but they have to win it—the people of Vietnam"

"Yes, because I, everybody including General MacArthur felt that land conflict between our troops, white troops and Asian, would only lead to, end in disaster. So it was. . . . We went in as advisers, but to try to get the Vietnamese to fight themselves, because we couldn't win the war for them. They had to win the war for themselves."

Kennedy would have withdrawn, realizing "that it was South Vietnam's war and the people there had to win it... We couldn't win the war for them."

Please...I don't "despise" Kennedy...nor did I ever "love" Nixon. Unlike you however, I view what each man DID in Vietnam not what I or someone else thinks they MIGHT have done. You can fault Richard Nixon on many things but when it comes to Vietnam...he is the one who actually pulled out...John F. Kennedy is the one who might have pulled out.

I actually doubt that Kennedy would have escalated the conflict to the level that LBJ did but at the same time I've seen little to convince me that Kennedy was going to pull out if it meant that South Vietnam would fall to the communists.

Please...I don't "despise" Kennedy...nor did I ever "love" Nixon. Unlike you however, I view what each man DID in Vietnam not what I or someone else thinks they MIGHT have done. You can fault Richard Nixon on many things but when it comes to Vietnam...he is the one who actually pulled out...John F. Kennedy is the one who might have pulled out.

I actually doubt that Kennedy would have escalated the conflict to the level that LBJ did but at the same time I've seen little to convince me that Kennedy was going to pull out if it meant that South Vietnam would fall to the communists.

Actually there is plenty of evidence that Kennedy would have never escalated the war as LBJ did, but you either refuse to accept it (myth making) or you have tried to paint decisions he made that were the least aggressive options and defiant of the advise of hawks in as negative a light as possible (blockade).

President Kennedy gave the most provocative speech about "peace" in American history. At the very height of the cold war, he talked about the Russians in human terms, and challenged the American people to "re-examine our own attitudes, as individuals and as a nation". His American University Commencement Address on June 10, 1963 has been called 'The peace speech" and "The Speech That Got JFK Murdered".

The speech so moved Premier Khrushchev, he excluded it from being jammed to allow the Soviets to listen to it. In addition the full content of the speech was printed in Pravda, a Russian political newspaper associated with the communist party at the time. Izvestiya, another Russian newspaper in Moscow also printed it.

lewrock2002b75.gif

The Speech That Got JFK Murdered?

American University Commencement Address
Delivered June 10, 1963

President John F. Kennedy's speech, "A Strategy of Peace," was the American University commencement address delivered on June 10, 1963, in Washington, DC. The president announced the development of the Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty and his decision to unilaterally suspend all atmospheric nuclear weapons testing so long as all other nations did the same. His peaceful outreach to the Soviet Union was unusual, coming at the height of the Cold War. Kennedy was outlining a new direction for his administration.

As author/researchers Peter Janney and James W. Douglass have made clear, Kennedy prepared this speech with only a handful of close, trusted aides ,and were careful to keep its contents secret from the national security establishment. As Janney says: "The powerful speech marked an abrupt departure from Cold War bluster and announced a new era of cooperation and coexistence."

This is remembered as one of Kennedy’s finest and most important speeches, and the changes it heralded, many scholars believe, was the catalyst for the conspiracy that ended his life, and changed for the worse the course of American and world history.

Transcript and video: Commencement Address at American University, June 10, 1963 - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

Last edited:
I didn't "paint" a military blockade...I simply pointed out that Kennedy did in fact resort to a totally illegal military action in response to the Cuban Missile Crisis after you made the dubious claim that Kennedy always took the most peaceful alternative available.

As for Kennedy's speech? I'm not seeing what you find so remarkable about it, Bfgrn. Kennedy is obviously concerned about the dangers of the nuclear world that we were then living in. He knows from first hand experience how close we came to a nuclear confrontation over Cuban missiles. So he is proposing steps to back away from the theory of "mutually assured destruction".

He does not however back away from the view that communism is the enemy of free people and actually chastises the Soviet leadership for the lies it tells in the pursuit of expanding communism around the world. This IS in some ways a "peace speech" but in many ways it's simply a declaration that nuclear weapons can't be used in the battle between free people and those that would seek to take that freedom away through communism...and that Kennedy proposes to have that struggle without the threat of nuclear war.

I didn't "paint" a military blockade...I simply pointed out that Kennedy did in fact resort to a totally illegal military action in response to the Cuban Missile Crisis after you made the dubious claim that Kennedy always took the most peaceful alternative available.

As for Kennedy's speech? I'm not seeing what you find so remarkable about it, Bfgrn. Kennedy is obviously concerned about the dangers of the nuclear world that we were then living in. He knows from first hand experience how close we came to a nuclear confrontation over Cuban missiles. So he is proposing steps to back away from the theory of "mutually assured destruction".

He does not however back away from the view that communism is the enemy of free people and actually chastises the Soviet leadership for the lies it tells in the pursuit of expanding communism around the world. This IS in some ways a "peace speech" but in many ways it's simply a declaration that nuclear weapons can't be used in the battle between free people and those that would seek to take that freedom away through communism...and that Kennedy proposes to have that struggle without the threat of nuclear war.

The dominant consensus Kennedy received during the missile crisis from the Joint Chiefs, Senators and Congressmen was an invasion of Cuba. Or as General Curtis LeMay put it "fry Cuba". But Kennedy refused to invade Cuba. The blockade was not an aggressive military action, and you just continue to try to twist it into something it wasn't. Admit it, you despise Kennedy. You are a right wing war monger. Kennedy wasn't a hawk. I have studied the man for over 50 years, he hated war. It was devastating to his family. And a hawk would never utter these words: "War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today"

The dominant consensus Kennedy received during the missile crisis from the Joint Chiefs, Senators and Congressmen was an invasion of Cuba. Or as General Curtis LeMay put it "fry Cuba". But Kennedy refused to invade Cuba. The blockade was not an aggressive military action, and you just continue to try to twist it into something it wasn't. Admit it, you despise Kennedy. You are a right wing war monger. Kennedy wasn't a hawk. I have studied the man for over 50 years, he hated war. It was devastating to his family. And a hawk would never utter these words: "War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today"

An illegal blockade in International waters isn't an "aggressive military action"? I hate to disagree, Bfgrn...but that's EXACTLY what it is!

I "despise" Kennedy and I'm a right wing war monger because I simply point out that Kennedy escalated the conflict in Vietnam?

Funny, I wept when Kennedy was killed and I rejoiced when Nixon ended the Vietnam war. Strange behavior for a Kennedy hating war monger!!!:confused: I'm FROM Massachusetts...where the Kennedy name was accorded the same status as royalty. I thought the man walked on water until I took some college level history classes that dealt less with the myth of JFK and more with the reality of the man.

As for what words came out of Kennedy's mouth? JFK had some very talented speechwriters working for him...as do most Presidents...what he said in a speech was more than likely the thoughts of someone else that was being paid a large amount of money to write the soaring rhetoric that you now feel "proves" that Kennedy was a dove at heart. My father, who was involved in politics always told me not to put too much stock in what politicians say...the only thing that counts is what they actually do.

Last edited:

An illegal blockade in International waters isn't an "aggressive military action"? I hate to disagree, Bfgrn...but that's EXACTLY what it is!

I "despise" Kennedy and I'm a right wing war monger because I simply point out that Kennedy escalated the conflict in Vietnam?

Funny, I wept when Kennedy was killed and I rejoiced when Nixon ended the Vietnam war. Strange behavior for a Kennedy hating war monger!!!:confused: I'm FROM Massachusetts...where the Kennedy name was accorded the same status as royalty. I thought the man walked on water until I took some college level history classes that dealt less with the myth of JFK and more with the reality of the man.

As for what words came out of Kennedy's mouth? JFK had some very talented speechwriters working for him...as do most Presidents...what he said in a speech was more than likely the thoughts of someone else that was being paid a large amount of money to write the soaring rhetoric that you now feel "proves" that Kennedy was a dove at heart. My father, who was involved in politics always told me not to put too much stock in what politicians say...the only thing that counts is what they actually do.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde

You right wingers LOVE that word "illegal". You are the master of denial, deception and hypocrisy.

Where would you place an "illegal" blockade vs an all out invasion on the scale of military aggression and "legality"???

So please give me an example of a hawk who would ever utter the words "War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today"? Because Jack Kennedy wrote those words in a letter to a Navy friend long before he ever had speechwriters working for him.

And BTW Einstein, who the hell wrote the words to that last speech you put so much stock in? OH, THAT was the REAL Kennedy, not the man who gave the peace speech.

And the REAL Kennedy is the one who escalated our troop level in Vietnam, but NOT the Kennedy who ordered 1,000 troops withdrawn by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965.

WOW, you sure have found a way to totally dismiss every shred of evidence that doesn't support your warmongering hatred of Kennedy.

Massachusetts? I thought you ran a lodge in Colorado and was ordered not to rent to Kennedys?

Your story is starting to reek of not only of hypocrisy, but of dishonesty.

9SNso0I.png

MduR2D2.png

pdgkyxh.png

4zJz8vH.png

eu1SW8O.png

JFK's Last Hundred Days: The Transformation of a Man and the Emergence of a Great President

The statesman who yields to war fever...is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
Winston Churchill

Last edited:

Oscar Wilde

You right wingers LOVE that word "illegal". You are the master of denial, deception and hypocrisy.

Where would you place an "illegal" blockade vs an all out invasion on the scale of military aggression and "legality"???

So please give me an example of a hawk who would ever utter the words "War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today"? Because Jack Kennedy wrote those words in a letter to a Navy friend long before he ever had speechwriters working for him.

And BTW Einstein, who the hell wrote the words to that last speech you put so much stock in? OH, THAT was the REAL Kennedy, not the man who gave the peace speech.

And the REAL Kennedy is the one who escalated our troop level in Vietnam, but NOT the Kennedy who ordered 1,000 troops withdrawn by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965.

WOW, you sure have found a way to totally dismiss every shred of evidence that doesn't support your warmongering hatred of Kennedy.

Massachusetts? I thought you ran a lodge in Colorado and was ordered not to rent to Kennedys?

9SNso0I.png

MduR2D2.png

pdgkyxh.png

4zJz8vH.png

eu1SW8O.png

JFK's Last Hundred Days: The Transformation of a Man and the Emergence of a Great President

The statesman who yields to war fever...is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
Winston Churchill

So I'm not only a Kennedy "hater" and a "warmonger"...now I'm the "master of denial, deception and hypocrisy" for pointing out that Kennedy's blockade of Cuba WAS an illegal military action?

You know what, Bfgrn? When you have to resort to hyperbole like that it announces quite loudly that you don't have an intelligent response to what I've posted.

I said that I'm FROM Massachusetts...I've lived in many different places, including Aspen, Colorado for ten years. It's a wonderful world out there...anyone who stays in one place their entire life is missing out on it.

And as I've said before and you've grudgingly admitted...all that was in place was a "plan" to withdraw American troops...a plan that was put in place because of overly optimistic appraisals of South Vietnam's ability to fight on their own. You give Kennedy credit for doing something that he very likely wouldn't have done.

As my father always said...don't put too much credence in politicians "promises"...the only thing that counts is what they have DONE not what they say they WILL DO.

Maher ain't exactly an impartial historian. He is a freaking comedian. "Camelot" didn't exist except in the minds of fool pop-culture liberal media types. It's generally acknowledged that JFK's Pulitizer Prize award for his book "Profiles in Courage" was fraudulent. The book was written by a family friend. JFK's use (abuse) of the CIA to train an equip an invasion army to storm the beaches of Cuba is on the top ten of bad decisions in American history.

Oscar Wilde

9SNso0I.png

MduR2D2.png

pdgkyxh.png

4zJz8vH.png

eu1SW8O.png

Winston Churchill

So I'm not only a Kennedy "hater" and a "warmonger"...now I'm the "master of denial, deception and hypocrisy" for pointing out that Kennedy's blockade of Cuba WAS an illegal military action?

You know what, Bfgrn? When you have to resort to hyperbole like that it announces quite loudly that you don't have an intelligent response to what I've posted.

I said that I'm FROM Massachusetts...I've lived in many different places, including Aspen, Colorado for ten years. It's a wonderful world out there...anyone who stays in one place their entire life is missing out on it.

You continue the denial, deception and hypocrisy.

Where would you place an "illegal" blockade vs an all out invasion on the scale of military aggression and "legality"?

Who wrote the words to that last speech you put so much stock in?

Are you going to answer my questions?

Oscar Wilde

9SNso0I.png

MduR2D2.png

pdgkyxh.png

4zJz8vH.png

eu1SW8O.png

Winston Churchill

You continue the denial, deception and hypocrisy.

Where would you place an "illegal" blockade vs an all out invasion on the scale of military aggression and "legality"?

Who wrote the words to that last speech you put so much stock in?

Are you going to answer my questions?

Just admit you don't know shit about how JFK really was and your the picture of a low information voter

tapatalk post

Forum List

Back