🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Our Never-Ending "Soccer" Embarrassment

I'm soccer through and through and have been all my life. I've played it all throughout my school years and I still play with my local club. There are millions of Americans like that who never stopped playing the game after they grew up so this whole nonsense about soccer only being a kid's game is utter bullshit. .

It is just a game for younger kids in the US. By the time they are at the Jr High/High School level almost all boys with any real athletic ability have gravitated to other sports. Not all, but for the most part. Girls are another story.

And the results are accordingly predictable.

So if I understood this correctly, are you saying that soccer doesn't require any "real athletic ability"?....if that's where you're going with this then you obvious know even less about the sport than I thought, especially if you are looking at this from a kid's rec league perspective. Gotta take those tinted glasses off and look at it from the adult perspective. This is a far more physically demanding game that you are giving it credit for being.

What Americans don't like is that there isn't a definite ending to games like that...there isn't a winner or a loser and with Americans, there must always be a winner and a loser, regardless of the sport. It's almost a compulsion.

The reason you have a 'competition' is to determine a winner and a loser. Otherwise don't bother to play. Just watch each other practice and then exchange compliments and pats on the back. :rolleyes:

There are games either so horribly contested or, in contrast, so evenly contested, that there simply doesn't deserve to be a winner or a loser based on the run of play because neither side has done enough. If that's true, then draws are exactly the right result and they make sense with soccer.

Bullshit. You compete to determine a winner and a loser. It says a lot about what's wrong with soccer that fans pretend to go crazy over it but don't understand the spirit of competition.

I'm soccer through and through and have been all my life. I've played it all throughout my school years and I still play with my local club. There are millions of Americans like that who never stopped playing the game after they grew up so this whole nonsense about soccer only being a kid's game is utter bullshit. .

It is just a game for younger kids in the US. By the time they are at the Jr High/High School level almost all boys with any real athletic ability have gravitated to other sports. Not all, but for the most part. Girls are another story.

So if I understood this correctly, are you saying that soccer doesn't require any "real athletic ability"?.....

You do not understand correctly. If you're going to quote my posts at least try to read them carefully.

But millions of Americans DO care about soccer. Those with two-digit IQ's are crazy about American "football," but there are enclaves of soccer-mania in DC, Detroit, all over California, and elsewhere. If you add all these communities together, you would have a fairly populous "country" where soccer is at least as popular as, say, basketball.

I have nephews and neices who were playing soccer as soon as they came out of their mother's womb. They were competing as 4-year olds, going to camps. playing 11 months a year, in both school and traveling leagues. With thousands of other kids doing the same thing. Think they didn't care about soccer?

And Hockey is a different proposition altogether for unrelated reasons. First of all, it requires a lot of money, which excludes a large portion of the population. Second of all, it dramatically favors kids from colder climates, who are on skates at approximately the same time as they start to walk. Kids from Atlanta who want to pursue hockey start playing when they are 12. Kids from Edmonton are playing hockey at 5. Which ones will end up in the NHL?

The best US athletes do not play soccer. Once they attain a certain skill level they move on to Football, basketball, hockey, baseball or other sports.

Soccer will never be a major draw for kids with the best athletic abilities.

So if I understood this correctly, are you saying that soccer doesn't require any "real athletic ability"?....if that's where you're going with this then you obvious know even less about the sport than I thought, especially if you are looking at this from a kid's rec league perspective. Gotta take those tinted glasses off and look at it from the adult perspective. This is a far more physically demanding game that you are giving it credit for being.

His point is not that soccer doesn't require real athletic ability but that the best American athletes will reach High School and decide which sport they want to concentrate on. With Americans, the best athletes will concentrate on Football, Basketball or Baseball leaving soccer for the lesser athletes

His point is not that soccer doesn't require real athletic ability but that the best American athletes will reach High School and decide which sport they want to concentrate on. With Americans, the best athletes will concentrate on Football, Basketball or Baseball leaving soccer for the lesser athletes

That's true, but only to a point.

First, Hispanics are growing faster than the population, and most of them see soccer or baseball as their #1 sport.

Second, there are very few professional football and basketball players less than 6 feet tall. And in football, they tend to be massively built. There are many good athletes who are 5'8" and not 200+ pounds.

Soccer is growing professionally in this country faster than most sports, albeit from a low base. This provides an option for those athletes who are too small to play in the NBA or the NFL. MLS will never be the biggest league in America, but it might come close to the NHL one day.

Latino immigrants are assimilating just as previous immigrant groups have. That means that FOBs may try to bring the inexplicable hysteria over an essentially boring sport with them, but by the second or third generations the best athletes are following the same pattern as other American kids.

First, Hispanics are growing faster than the population, and most of them see soccer or baseball as their #1 sport.

Second, there are very few professional football and basketball players less than 6 feet tall. And in football, they tend to be massively built. There are many good athletes who are 5'8" and not 200+ pounds.

Soccer is growing professionally in this country faster than most sports, albeit from a low base. This provides an option for those athletes who are too small to play in the NBA or the NFL. MLS will never be the biggest league in America, but it might come close to the NHL one day.

I have no grudge against soccer. If some people love it and it becomes popular, that is great. I just won't watch it

Latino immigrants are assimilating just as previous immigrant groups have. That means that FOBs may try to bring the inexplicable hysteria over an essentially boring sport with them, but by the second or third generations the best athletes are following the same pattern as other American kids.

That hasn't happened thus far for current second and third generation Hispanics. I'm not sure why it would change in the future. Instead, there are more Hispanics than ever before in the US national team system.

I have no grudge against soccer. If some people love it and it becomes popular, that is great. I just won't watch it

Sports are entertainment. Whatever turns your crank.

Fans will tend to gravitate to the sport with the larger faster athlete. Check the college level teams and note the growing number of Hispanic players.

Soccer is a great sport, don't get me wrong, but it will never exceed Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, or for that matter NASCAR in the United States market. It may in a few spotty markets, but it will never match the fan appeal of the other sports.

Fans will tend to gravitate to the sport with the larger faster athlete. Check the college level teams and note the growing number of Hispanic players.

Soccer is a great sport, don't get me wrong, but it will never exceed Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, or for that matter NASCAR in the United States market. It may in a few spotty markets, but it will never match the fan appeal of the other sports.

Soccer can become a niche sport with rabid fans....I wish them well. If they can sell out a football stadium in the summer, that is good business

They have a problem much like Hockey. There is no national network TV package. They may have rabid fans who love the sport but not enough to boost the ratings

So Soccer can continue in the US with cable broadcasts and whatever they can draw at the gate. But it will never be a major sport in the US

That hasn't happened thus far for current second and third generation Hispanics. I'm not sure why it would change in the future. Instead, there are more Hispanics than ever before in the US national team system.

More and more native born Latino-Americans are showing up in all professional sports than ever before. It's a cultural issue, and Latinos are assimilating culturally just as previous immigrant groups have.

If the USA wins a World Cup, soccer will take off in the USA. The rest of the world knows that and is worried. That's why refs get paid off to f us over. All the other leagues don't want their multibillion dollar businesses cut into.

If the USA wins a World Cup, soccer will take off in the USA. The rest of the world knows that and is worried. That's why refs get paid off to f us over. All the other leagues don't want their multibillion dollar businesses cut into.

hahahaha, cute.

If the USA wins a World Cup, soccer will take off in the USA. .

Nah, a temporary bump at most.

I tend to agree with this.

I haven't seen anything to indicate soccer is on the cusp of becoming a major spectator sport in the US.

It'll depend upon the growth of MLS by the said victory. If a great many of the stars are playing domestically then they will be just as in demand as any other athlete. I know that MLS's stated plan is to be among the best soccer leagues by 2022. Is it possible? Debatable. They don't have a major (constant) national TV contract, but they do average 18K per game and even beat the attendance figures of various leagues. None of that is to say they're not currently at niche status. But again, a mainstream breakthrough is not out of the realm of possibility.

If they ever win the World Cup, it will just give soccer a bump in popularity.

The soccer people claimed Beckman playing for LA was going to make soccer "take off" in the USA....and it didn't.

The only reason soccer has any following at all in the US is the large latino population. So give it a rest. Maybe in 2060 or whenever latinos become the majority ethnic group in the US it will have a chance of becoming super popular. But when that happens it won't really be "America" anymore will it?

If they ever win the World Cup, it will just give soccer a bump in popularity.

The soccer people claimed Beckman playing for LA was going to make soccer "take off" in the USA....and it didn't.

The only reason soccer has any following at all in the US is the large latino population. So give it a rest. Maybe in 2060 or whenever latinos become the majority ethnic group in the US it will have a chance of becoming super popular. But when that happens it won't really be "America" anymore will it?

MLS went from 10 teams in 2004 to 20 teams by 2015. And it's supposed to be 24 by 2020. One of those teams is expected to be in Miami; a team that Beckham will own.

The infrastructure and attendance is there. It's a matter of gaining the national TV audience though.

And it's not just a Latino thing. Seattle averages 43K people per game.

Forum List

Back