Our two Americas, in 1 map

Just came back from a trip to Seattle for work. We also had to go down to Portland for a day. Been to Portland lately? What a fucking liberal disaster. Homeless drug addicts EVERYWHERE. Good job libs.

Never been to Portland but Seattle is nice enough. Birmingham, Alabama was the worst shithole that I've ever been to in this country.

Try Detroit. Or Gary, or hell, try almost any progressive run city these days. Nothing like transients pooping in the street to give you that down home smell!

I live in New York City. Love it here.

Yes, there are some nice places in New York. There are also some real shitholes..

11836275-large.jpg
OWS-poop.jpg

Ah, you found a picture of the devastation after Sandy and a faked picture that basically lied about the Occupy movement.

That's nice.

Faked picture? Oh, I think not. The Daily Show's Samantha Bee did a wonderful expose on the movement.... And yes, the picture is post Sandy, but it is also an accurate image of what it's like after a garbage strike...which happen on a not too infrequent basis...

Occupy Wall Street Divided

Congressional majorities doesnt really mean much, it basically shows who drew the maps and who geography favors.

Never been to Portland but Seattle is nice enough. Birmingham, Alabama was the worst shithole that I've ever been to in this country.

Try Detroit. Or Gary, or hell, try almost any progressive run city these days. Nothing like transients pooping in the street to give you that down home smell!

Yes, there are some nice places in New York. There are also some real shitholes..

11836275-large.jpg
OWS-poop.jpg

Ah, you found a picture of the devastation after Sandy and a faked picture that basically lied about the Occupy movement.

That's nice.

Faked picture? Oh, I think not. The Daily Show's Samantha Bee did a wonderful expose on the movement.... And yes, the picture is post Sandy, but it is also an accurate image of what it's like after a garbage strike...which happen on a not too infrequent basis...

You must be one of the most immature mods I've ever come across on any forum. Seriously.

11836275-large.jpg
OWS-poop.jpg

That's nice.

You must be one of the most immature mods I've ever come across on any forum. Seriously.

Why thank you! I take that as high praise! I work hard to keep a youthful outlook so it's nice to see I am succeeding!

Wish those red states had more population than they do.

Want to understand the bifurcated nature of our politics? Try this map, released Tuesday by the Federal Election Commission, that documents which party controls a majority of seats in each state's congressional delegation.

The Fix

Resize Text

Print Article

Comments 24

"" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

By Chris Cillizza November 18 at 9:00 AM

Want to understand the bifurcated nature of our politics? Try this map, released Tuesday by the Federal Election Commission, that documents which party controls a majority of seats in each state's congressional delegation.

Pretty remarkable no? The cliche about Democrats being the coastal party and Republicans being the party of the interior of the country is born out by this map. Outside of a pocket of liberalism in Minnesota (a long time progressive stronghold) and Illinois (a rare state where labor remains tremendously powerful), the middle of the country is entirely dominated by Republicans. The South is now solidly Republican, a transformation that began in the 1994 election. And the mountain west, where Democrats insisted they were growing in the mid-2000s, now largely looks like a lost cause with the exception of New Mexico, a state whose politics are heavily influenced by its large Latino population.

The map also reinforces a point I have made in this space plenty of late: Outside of the presidency, the Republican Party is far healthier than the Democratic Party. Senate control. The largest House majority since World War II. Thirty-two governorships (if they hold Louisiana on Saturday). Total control of 30 of the country's 50 state legislatures.

Now compare that to this:

w1j4y.jpg

Wish those red states had more population than they do.

The Fix

Resize Text

Print Article

Comments 24

"" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

By Chris Cillizza November 18 at 9:00 AM

Pretty remarkable no? The cliche about Democrats being the coastal party and Republicans being the party of the interior of the country is born out by this map. Outside of a pocket of liberalism in Minnesota (a long time progressive stronghold) and Illinois (a rare state where labor remains tremendously powerful), the middle of the country is entirely dominated by Republicans. The South is now solidly Republican, a transformation that began in the 1994 election. And the mountain west, where Democrats insisted they were growing in the mid-2000s, now largely looks like a lost cause with the exception of New Mexico, a state whose politics are heavily influenced by its large Latino population.

The map also reinforces a point I have made in this space plenty of late: Outside of the presidency, the Republican Party is far healthier than the Democratic Party. Senate control. The largest House majority since World War II. Thirty-two governorships (if they hold Louisiana on Saturday). Total control of 30 of the country's 50 state legislatures.

Now compare that to this:

w1j4y.jpg

2012? Why? I see that repubs took 5 states away from us. That's not good.

Forum List

Back