Owen Labrie, Harsh Penalty for shagging 15 yo, He was 18

The thing is he didn't get convicted of the more serious charge, but of the misdemeanor related to her being underage, and him not being.

If he got convicted of the higher charge, he would be a sex offender, because he would have been convicted of something involving force.

He was convicted of a felony which is what is causing the sex offender registry.

>>>>

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/us/owen-labrie-st-pauls-school-sentencing.html?_r=0

Mr. Labrie, now 20, received concurrent sentences of a year in jail on three misdemeanors and another year on a fourth, which the judge suspended.

The judge also sentenced him to up to seven years in state prison on a felony conviction of using a computer to lure a minor, but suspended that sentence, too.

The trial jury’s acquittal of Mr. Labrie on the main rape charges, three counts of felony aggravated sexual assault, led his lawyer, J. W. Carney Jr., to refer during Thursday’s hearing to what his client and the girl had engaged in as “a consensual encounter between two teenagers.”

This is why sometimes I can't stand the law. The felony is for using a computer? not the actual act?

This case does not fall, imo, within R&J circumstances.

The year is appropriate.

I am not sure the sex offender tag is right, but that is what we have judges for.

Hey, older guys! Leave the younger girls alone. They cannot consent according to law, which puts you the guy at a big, big risk.

I don't agree with the sexual registry business, that's just devoid of any context and perspective. If he was 30 it would be different. Lots of 15 year old girls don't look 15 anymore. I think her parents should have taught her not to put out, blaming it on a 18 year old is dumb. I remember being 18, the wind gives you a hard on. To ruin a life over it is going way too far.

As long as they're both consenting, and adults, sure. Doesn't seem like EITHER of thise issues were met in thus case.

If both participants are consenting adults than there is no need for Romeo & Juliet provisions which only apply to consensual sex between persons when (a) the sex is truly consensual, (b) when one of the persons is over the age of majority and the other is not, and (c) when the age difference are within a number of years defined in the law.

(Again a general note not necessarily applicable to this case because the sex was not consensual.)

>>>>
The lack of consent was only in her head. It was never communicated. She said she froze and never said anything. That's why California has yes means yes laws, in writing.

I don't agree with the sexual registry business, that's just devoid of any context and perspective. If he was 30 it would be different. Lots of 15 year old girls don't look 15 anymore. I think her parents should have taught her not to put out, blaming it on a 18 year old is dumb. I remember being 18, the wind gives you a hard on. To ruin a life over it is going way too far.

You never heard of barbecuing alone ?

As long as they're both consenting, and adults, sure. Doesn't seem like EITHER of thise issues were met in thus case.

If both participants are consenting adults than there is no need for Romeo & Juliet provisions which only apply to consensual sex between persons when (a) the sex is truly consensual, (b) when one of the persons is over the age of majority and the other is not, and (c) when the age difference are within a number of years defined in the law.

(Again a general note not necessarily applicable to this case because the sex was not consensual.)

>>>>
The lack of consent was only in her head. It was never communicated. She said she froze and never said anything. That's why California has yes means yes laws, in writing.
She told him to stop, then froze when he continued. That, kids, is still rape.

VERY controversial. A lifetime as a "sexual predator" for shagging another teenager 3 years younger?

Bull

Effing

Shit!

there is nothing controversial about it. he was an adult. he victimized her. I suspect if they were actually in a relationship and he hadn't victimized her, the decision would have been different.

>>>>

I love rightwingnut misogynist losers.

Sorry, but I don't believe that minors shoild be allowed to "consent" to snything with an adult. I'd also make 25 the age of majority and I see no use for sex outside of a committed, long-term relationship.

what you think is fine... and you're certainly free to apply it to your own life. you're certainly outside the mainstream... and 25 is absurd...... you can fight and die for your country at 18

You never heard of barbecuing alone ?
You never heard of a wienie roast?

This one needs to be locked up for a time, he's got issues.

"She said she agreed to meet Labrie, who was a popular student and captain of the soccer team, and took off her clothes down to her underwear. She told the jury she asked him to stop him when he went around her underwear and had sex with her, but froze and did not try to escape.

In another message just revealed by prosecutors, Labrie expressed anger that the victim had initially refused to meet with him.

“Funkin’ hate girls so much,” Labrie wrote on 22 April 2014. “Another dumb cum-bucket struck from my nut sucking. suck it slut, slut fucking bucket list.”"
Oh, what a charmer.

what you think is fine... and you're certainly free to apply it to your own life. you're certainly outside the mainstream... and 25 is absurd...... you can fight and die for your country at 18

I find I'm most often wrong ehen I'm IN the mainstream thought pattern.

Service to this nation shouls be a prerequisite fir being considered an adult in thus society.

BTW, this is the reason a "registered sex offender" no longer means what it used to. The public is now well aware that they aren't all child molesters.

What this shows is you shouldn't have sex with underage girls. Especially when their fathers have more money than your father does. This is not an unusual event in the world of the upper class. It just usually is not so publicly spread. I remember a case back in the Los Angeles area that likewise blew up. This would have been about 40 years ago.. The perp had to spend a year in jail and IIRC when he was released he and the girl got married against her fathers wishes.

BTW, this is the reason a "registered sex offender" no longer means what it used to. The public is now well aware that they aren't all child molesters.

What this shows is you shouldn't have sex with underage girls. Especially when their fathers have more money than your father does. This is not an unusual event in the world of the upper class. It just usually is not so publicly spread. I remember a case back in the Los Angeles area that likewise blew up. This would have been about 40 years ago.. The perp had to spend a year in jail and IIRC when he was released he and the girl got married against her fathers wishes.

This isn't a case where they were in love and the older boy got carried away with a younger girl. They had barely met and didn't even have a relationship. He seduced her and used a computer to facilitate the seduction. I find it very difficult to judge parties as being wrongful when there is only a difference in age between them unless the man is egregiously forceful. This boy is guilty of being a cad and nothing more. He doesn't need to be on a sex offender registry, perhaps we need a cad and scoundrel registry.

Owen Labrie sentenced to a year in jail for prep school sex assault

3375.jpg

With his once promising future at Harvard a shambles, a former New Hampshireprep school senior convicted of having sex with an underage girl as part of an unofficial school tradition was sentenced to a year in jail and probation.

Owen Labrie, now 20, faced a possible 11-year sentence for his conviction on three misdemeanor counts of sex with a 15-year-old and one felony count of using the internet to arrange a secret encounter on the campus of St Paul’s school in Concord, New Hampshire.

Labrie’s conviction for felony use of a computer also requires he register as a sex offender for life for sending the girl a “senior salute”, an old tradition on the bucolic campus where seniors in the waning days of high school ask underclassmen on a date.

Before he was sentenced, Labrie made the sign of the cross on his chest. He stood stock still while hearing he would go to prison. His mother wept.

Judge Lawrence Smukler said he rejects Labrie’s defense argument that the jury found the teenagers had consensual sex.

“This was not consensual. You did not take the time to get to know the victim to know how she reacts to various things,” Smukler said as he announced the sentence. “The very reason it is a crime is a child, someone under the age of consent, is not sufficiently mature to handle a sexual situation with an older person. She was in over her head and that was very clear.”

Prosecutors asked the judge to give Labrie three and a half to seven years in prison and undergo sex offender treatment.

Broke the law. Too bad so sad. Is a stupid law to be sure, but so long as stupid laws are in effect we have to obey them. Start pick and choosing or rationalizing our ignoring them and it's all over.

Sorry, but I don't believe that minors shoild be allowed to "consent" to snything with an adult. I'd also make 25 the age of majority and I see no use for sex outside of a committed, long-term relationship.
Both horny teenagers

The year is appropriate.

I am not sure the sex offender tag is right, but that is what we have judges for.

Hey, older guys! Leave the younger girls alone. They cannot consent according to law, which puts you the guy at a big, big risk.
This judge went ahead and ruined this guy's life for getting horny with a fellow teen.

The thing is he didn't get convicted of the more serious charge, but of the misdemeanor related to her being underage, and him not being.

If he got convicted of the higher charge, he would be a sex offender, because he would have been convicted of something involving force.

He was convicted of a felony which is what is causing the sex offender registry.

>>>>

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/us/owen-labrie-st-pauls-school-sentencing.html?_r=0

Mr. Labrie, now 20, received concurrent sentences of a year in jail on three misdemeanors and another year on a fourth, which the judge suspended.

The judge also sentenced him to up to seven years in state prison on a felony conviction of using a computer to lure a minor, but suspended that sentence, too.

The trial jury’s acquittal of Mr. Labrie on the main rape charges, three counts of felony aggravated sexual assault, led his lawyer, J. W. Carney Jr., to refer during Thursday’s hearing to what his client and the girl had engaged in as “a consensual encounter between two teenagers.”

This is why sometimes I can't stand the law. The felony is for using a computer? not the actual act?
The jury nullified stat rape or he would have been in prison for 11 years. At least someone was looking out for him if not this Nazi judge.

The year is appropriate.

This judge went ahead and ruined this guy's life for getting horny with a fellow teen.
No, he's fucked because he raped a girl. That happens eh?

>>>>

The jury nullified stat rape or he would have been in prison for 11 years. At least someone was looking out for him if not this Nazi judge.
In his case it was just plain old rape. When the girl says no, that's it, boys...

Forum List

Back