Owners Of Burned California Diving Boat Say They Owe Nothing To Victims' Families

Maybe the government should ban and confiscate small dive boats like this. There is not Constitutionally guaranteed right to "boat".
No but since their was 39 people on this 75 foot boat there was only 1.92 feet of boat per person, that ratio is far too low. On my 18 footer I have had my entire family out of 4 people and that renders a ratio of 4.5 feet per person, typically I have 8 or 18 feet per person.

Math works, someone inform the coast guard

Your boat is not used commercially, and your metric is not relevant as boats are designed differently for different things, so one size metric does not fit all.

The berthing area had two means of egress, both blocked by fire. As the galley is often the place where fires start, I would not place it next to a berthing area. However, size constraints may make this unavoidable.

This type of tragedy is a very, very rate occurrence. It could be called a "fluke" accident, but look for politicians to crawl out of the woodwork for knee jerk over zealous reactions.

Until there is a determination of the cause of the fire I don't see any way guilt can be determined.

For all we know the fire was started by one of the passengers

Or several of the passengers by pugging their I-Phones, I-Pads and computers into an overloaded circuit that caused the fire. You know, so they could stay "connected".

Maybe the government should ban and confiscate small dive boats like this. There is not Constitutionally guaranteed right to "boat".
No but since their was 39 people on this 75 foot boat there was only 1.92 feet of boat per person, that ratio is far too low. On my 18 footer I have had my entire family out of 4 people and that renders a ratio of 4.5 feet per person, typically I have 8 or 18 feet per person.

Math works, someone inform the coast guard

Your boat is not used commercially, and your metric is not relevant as boats are designed differently for different things, so one size metric does not fit all.

The berthing area had two means of egress, both blocked by fire. As the galley is often the place where fires start, I would not place it next to a berthing area. However, size constraints may make this unavoidable.

This type of tragedy is a very, very rate occurrence. It could be called a "fluke" accident, but look for politicians to crawl out of the woodwork for knee jerk over zealous reactions.
I saw the berthing on this boat, no way I would sleep there....

This boat is commercial it is 295 feet long and berths 36 people max

LAUREN L Yacht Charter Price - Cassens-Werft Luxury Yacht Charter

Next

Until there is a determination of the cause of the fire I don't see any way guilt can be determined.

Or several of the passengers by pugging their I-Phones, I-Pads and computers into an overloaded circuit that caused the fire. You know, so they could stay "connected".

Exactly.

There are just too many unkowns at this point to be able to assign blame

Exactly.

Correct on the other side 34 people are dead and there is no way to vindicate the boat as of yet...

Exactly.

Correct on the other side 34 people are dead and there is no way to vindicate the boat as of yet...

And it could be a passenger(s) that caused the fire, it could be negligence on the part of the boat owner and/or crew, or the fault of the manufacturer of one of the components on the boat

Like I said too many as yet unanswered questions remain so assigning blame needs to be a low priority until we actually know who to blame

Exactly.

And it could be a passenger(s) that caused the fire, it could be negligence on the part of the boat owner and/or crew, or the fault of the manufacturer of one of the components on the boat

Like I said too many as yet unanswered questions remain so assigning blame needs to be a low priority until we actually know who to blame
Again if you were at an overnight road stop and you allowed 34 people to charge there equipment off your car, the responsibility for failure falls on you not the 34 idiots that you another idiot allowed to abuse the equipment. The captain is 100 percent responsible for everything that happens on his or her boat.

Including charging equipment as the boat had to provide outlets for this. Furthermore if there were only 11 patrons the load would have been 66 percent less

Next dumb lawyer

Exactly.

Again if you were at an overnight road stop and you allowed 34 people to charge there equipment off your car, the responsibility for failure falls on you not the 34 idiots that you another idiot allowed to abuse the equipment. The captain is 100 percent responsible for everything that happens on his or her boat.
There you go assuming facts not in evidence

But I'll play along

Every circuit in your car has a fuse so if you overload a circuit the fuse would blow thus stopping the flow of current. So If my car had a fuse and the fuse box had not been tampered with and the car caught on fire because of an overloaded circuit isn't the manufacturer of the defective fuse at fault?

Maybe the car manufacturer wired some shit wrong am I still at fault?

Exactly.

But I'll play along

Every circuit in your car has a fuse so if you overload a circuit the fuse would blow thus stopping the flow of current. So If my car had a fuse and the fuse box had not been tampered with and the car caught on fire because of an overloaded circuit isn't the manufacturer of the defective fuse at fault?

Dude you just proved my point because there were zero smart phones and laptops when this boat was made, meaning the owners modified the electrical to include this.

Yawn, the atf will be looking for approved modification plans

Exactly.

But I'll play along

Dude you just proved my point because there were zero smart phones and laptops when this boat was made, meaning the owners modified the electrical to include this.

And who actually modified the circuits? Did they hire an electrician to do it? Did the gut do it himself? And boats have had AC plugs and 12V DC plugs on them for decades there would be no need to modify the electrical system to use a phone charger

But I'll play along

And who actually modified the circuits? Did they hire an electrician to do it? Did the gut do it himself? And boats have had AC plugs and 12V DC plugs on them for decades there would be no need to modify the electrical system to use a phone charger
Does not matter who did it the captain is responsible for everything that happens on the boat. Again the 295 foot long Lauren l maxes out at 36 passengers 2 more than the 75 foot Auschwitz

But I'll play along

Does not matter who did it the captain is responsible for everything that happens on the boat. Again the 295 foot long Lauren l maxes out at 36 passengers 2 more than the 75 foot Auschwitz

If the owner of the boat complied with all regulations and hired licensed professionals to revamp the electrical system of the boat then had those systems inspected by the Coast Guard or other regulatory agencies how is he responsible if a defective part was used ?

You certainly have a rather simplistic view here. I mean if a tornado blew a shingle off of your roof and it traveled 1 mile and killed a person is it your fault?

You have to say yes because as the homeowner you are responsible for everything that happens in your house right?

But I'll play along

If the owner of the boat complied with all regulations and hired licensed professionals to revamp the electrical system of the boat then had those systems inspected by the Coast Guard or other regulatory agencies how is he responsible if a defective part was used ?

You certainly have a rather simplistic view here. I mean if a tornado blew a shingle off of your roof and it traveled 1 mile and killed a person is it your fault?

You have to say yes because as the homeowner you are responsible for everything that happens in your house right?
Actually I will bet that this boat was never coast guard inspected while fully occupied. See 34 stupid people which they all were for being there also bring 34 peoples worth of krap which can block entrances and exits (felony pal) and overload circuits.

What really amazes me is the heartlessness of anyone trying to justify 34 deaths in some cases whole families....

Wow...may the Lord have in mind a special plan for the demon possessed kind.

God bless you and the families of the victims always!!!

Holly
You said it, the fact is that they opted for a boat with maximum bunk space so they they could make more money on each trip and left out the escape route which would have taken up space. The Coast Guard should also be held responsible for letting this boat on the water in the first place

That's quite a bit of misinformation. The boat had emergency exits.

Holly
You said it, the fact is that they opted for a boat with maximum bunk space so they they could make more money on each trip and left out the escape route which would have taken up space. The Coast Guard should also be held responsible for letting this boat on the water in the first place

The boat had 1 spiral staircase entrance exit and 1 small escape hatch that was blocked supposedly by fire, or was it 34 sets of gear

Holly

The boat had 1 spiral staircase entrance exit and 1 small escape hatch that was blocked supposedly by fire, or was it 34 sets of gear

Yes, jump on the bandwagon of demonizing the owners before an investigation is completed. That's definitely the way the justice system should work.

But I'll play along

Actually I will bet that this boat was never coast guard inspected while fully occupied. See 34 stupid people which they all were for being there also bring 34 peoples worth of krap which can block entrances and exits (felony pal) and overload circuits.

What really amazes me is the heartlessness of anyone trying to justify 34 deaths in some cases whole families....
No boat is inspected while it is fully occupied

The Coast Guard gave the boat a passing mark even with all the sleeping compartments so shouldn't the Coast Guard be at fault at least to some degree?

And I want to see someone answer for this but I also know that blaming the right person is necessary for true justice

Holly

Yes, jump on the bandwagon of demonizing the owners before an investigation is completed. That's definitely the way the justice system should work.
True some things do need to be determined however putting 34 people on a 10 person boat is not one of them

No boat is inspected while it is fully occupied

The Coast Guard gave the boat a passing mark even with all the sleeping compartments so shouldn't the Coast Guard be at fault at least to some degree?

And I want to see someone answer for this but I also know that blaming the right person is necessary for true justice
Wrong the coast guard does board and inspect occupied vessels

Forum List

Back