Parents Of Kids With ADHD...

Hey Wake, have you modified your diet as part of your ADHD lifestyle?
Does it help?

I've made some modifications.

Caffeine in small amounts has helped with focus. I avoid as many chemical dyes, preservatives, and other unnatural additives as possible. Foods high in Omega-3 fatty acids like walnuts and pecans have helped me as well, to the extent that I literally notice it a little while later. Right now I am researching foods high in L-Tyramine, and considering buying those supplements from GNC, too.

This is not a bitch fest, seriously. I am looking for some information, and I will tell you why.

Last night I went to my class as usual, and discovered that a little boy was about to begin his first ever karate class. He's about five years old, and has ADHD and Autism. He's a bundle of energy, doesn't take direction, but is the most gorgeous little kid you ever did see.

Class goes for an hour, and he was never going to pay attention for that long. However, he did stand in line for a very short period, before running back to mum, returning for a few minutes, running off again etc. He spent about ten minutes all up in line. He has so much energy its just unbelievable.

My question is this - since he was able to remain in line for no more than ten minutes, if his mum brings him back next week, could we expect him to remain in line for a little longer, and a little longer the week after that, or will he never be able to focus? He's a very enthusiastic youngster and I'd love to see him continue - if only because he's simply adorable!

First off, GOD BLESS YOU NOOMI for careing so much about this young child! If you were a 9.5 before, you are a 10 now, because caring about kids and showing concern for them MAKES YOU SEXY to any parent who has an autistic child!

I'm afraid it isn't that simple, Noomi, an autistic child will need a lot of love and support to eventually lead a normal life.

They are often up and down and are quite a handful to a single parent or even a married couple.

This is Zack - I love Zack (Bug) so much that I would die fighting an army of bad guys, a giant great white shark or even a T-rex defending him! (not kidding)

L2FR5U.jpg

NEJQvT.jpg

ZQ67VX.jpg

We are peas in a pod and because I am autistic as well, we are more like twins than father and son.

Zack loves his daddy very much and every Sunday, daddy takes him to Chuck E Cheese, swimming and fishing.

His mom was very sick and did lots of bad things. I could not see him for a long time.

:(

It's all better now, because Daddy loves Zack and he's so lucky to have such a terrific kid!

Last edited:
As a young man who has had ADHD for much of his life, I'm disturbed at the thought of 2-3-years-olds being diagnosed. I think I was diagnosed around 6 or 8; hard to remember the exact time.

ADHD is real, but the problem of over-diagnosis is real as well, and merits further research and debate.

I agree, which is why I am of the opinion that the majority of kids who have ADHD don't actually have it at all Its hugely over diagnosed.
That.

I had it once. My dad cured it real fast.

No, you didn't and no, your dad didn't cure it. It's a serious matter and not some kind of joke.

You might want to educate yourself a bit more before condoning violence as some kind of "republican" home remedy.

@Wake, certain cases, especially when diagnosed in tandem with autism, NEED to be caught at a very early stage of development (two years old being optimal).

I have seen first hand children who's parents were in denial about the whole thing and those kids were still not talking well into their twenties.

Early diagnoses is crucial.

My ex had no patience for our youngest son, so she got him doped up on Ritalin.

On the weekends that I had the children, I squirreled away his Rit. I much preferred him being a precocious energetic inquisitive kid than the zombie he would become while medicated.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

According to behaviorism that kid should absolutely be able to participate in that class. All he needs is the right mentor.

Interesting way of looking at things. You think it is the fault of the teacher for not gaining his attention?

No it's nobody's fault. In behaviorism you take a look at the environment that the behavior is taking place in. You have to determine what is causing the behavior (probably boredom in this case and of course excess energy and such stemming from his ADHD). Then you apply contingencies to his environment that make it worth his while to participate appropriately for longer and longer stretches of time starting small.

The trouble with these cases is often there's no access to a person who create and help institute such a plan.

There's also physiological things that can help like some people mentioned such as diet and medication.

This is not a bitch fest, seriously. I am looking for some information, and I will tell you why.

Last night I went to my class as usual, and discovered that a little boy was about to begin his first ever karate class. He's about five years old, and has ADHD and Autism. He's a bundle of energy, doesn't take direction, but is the most gorgeous little kid you ever did see.

Class goes for an hour, and he was never going to pay attention for that long. However, he did stand in line for a very short period, before running back to mum, returning for a few minutes, running off again etc. He spent about ten minutes all up in line. He has so much energy its just unbelievable.

My question is this - since he was able to remain in line for no more than ten minutes, if his mum brings him back next week, could we expect him to remain in line for a little longer, and a little longer the week after that, or will he never be able to focus? He's a very enthusiastic youngster and I'd love to see him continue - if only because he's simply adorable!

I wasn't able to sit still long enough to read the entire post.

How long have you had ADD?

My ex had no patience for our youngest son, so she got him doped up on Ritalin.

On the weekends that I had the children, I squirreled away his Rit. I much preferred him being a precocious energetic inquisitive kid than the zombie he would become while medicated.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Agreed. Medication should be an absolute last resort and there should be an effort to create a plan to eventually wean them off.

First off, GOD BLESS YOU NOOMI for careing so much about this young child! If you were a 9.5 before, you are a 10 now, because caring about kids and showing concern for them MAKES YOU SEXY to any parent who has an autistic child!

I'm afraid it isn't that simple, Noomi, an autistic child will need a lot of love and support to eventually lead a normal life.

They are often up and down and are quite a handful to a single parent or even a married couple.

This is Zack - I love Zack (Bug) so much that I would lay down my life for him or die fighting an army of bad guys or even a T-rex defending him! (not kidding)

L2FR5U.jpg

NEJQvT.jpg

ZQ67VX.jpg

We are peas in a pod and because I am autistic as well, we are more like twins than father and son.

Zack loves his daddy very much and every Sunday, daddy takes him to Chuck E Cheese, swimming and fishing.

His mom was very sick and did lots of bad things. I could not see him for a long time.

:(

It's all better now, because Daddy loves Zack and he's so lucky to have such a terrific kid!

God Bless Cabbie :thup:

As a young man who has had ADHD for much of his life, I'm disturbed at the thought of 2-3-years-olds being diagnosed. I think I was diagnosed around 6 or 8; hard to remember the exact time.

ADHD is real, but the problem of over-diagnosis is real as well, and merits further research and debate.

I agree, which is why I am of the opinion that the majority of kids who have ADHD don't actually have it at all Its hugely over diagnosed.
That.

I had it once. My dad cured it real fast.

No, you didn't and no, your dad didn't cure it. It's a serious matter and not some kind of joke.

You might want to educate yourself a bit more before condoning violence as some kind of "republican" home remedy.

@Wake, certain cases, especially when diagnosed in tandem with autism, NEED to be caught at a very early stage of development (two years old being optimal).

I have seen first hand children who's parents were in denial about the whole thing and those kids were still not talking well into their twenties.

Early diagnoses is crucial.

Knowing it ticked you off made my day. Thank you.

I wasn't able to sit still long enough to read the entire post.

How long have you had ADD?

I don't have it lol. Although I do find it hard to concentrate on things.
I do a Thursday class with a child who not only has ADHD, but is loaded on the energy drinks her mother allows her to drink before class. Its horrendous at times.

Forum List

Back