Partisanship is the new Racism

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
As an Independent who views political partisanship as a freaking FASCINATING amateur psychological / sociological / anthropological study, I got a kick out of this piece. Leveraging a word that has been terribly overused and diluted in our culture, Mr. Vedantam says he sees a correlation between "racism" and partisanship:

Partisanship Is the New Racism

From the piece:

Partisanship is the new racism. We love to criticize it, and we love to claim we've transcended it. We recognize it in our enemies but not in ourselves. We use it to discriminate against others. And increasingly, we find sophisticated ways to mask it in a veneer of open-mindedness.

New psychological research and insights from political science suggest parallels between partisanship and racism. Both seem to arise from aspects of social identity that are immutable or slow to change. Both are publicly decried and privately practiced. Both are increasingly employed in ways that allow practitioners to deny that they are doing what they are doing.

Wow. That part I've bolded does seem to make a great deal of sense. The he makes it clear that which "side" you're on is irrelevant, it is the behavior that is similar.

Which is what I point out quite often about partisans.

:cool-45:

The liberal posters on this board have been trying to convince me that:

Being white = racist
Being rich = racist
Being male = racist
Being a student = racist
Being American = racist
Being conservative = racist

Being white = racist
Being rich = racist
Being male = racist
Being a student = racist
Being American = racist

Most of the things you listed do make it easier, or more likely that a person will be racist, but each one in its self doesn't make you racist. I believe everyone has at least some racist tendencies, but your choice to recognize or act on them is what makes the difference. I am 4 of the six things you mention, and nobody has accused me of being racist.

So let me try to drag this back to the OP:

What do you folks think of the paragraph:

New psychological research and insights from political science suggest parallels between partisanship and racism. Both seem to arise from aspects of social identity that are immutable or slow to change. Both are publicly decried and privately practiced. Both are increasingly employed in ways that allow practitioners to deny that they are doing what they are doing.

Being white = racist
Being rich = racist
Being male = racist
Being a student = racist
Being American = racist

Most of the things you listed do make it easier, or more likely that a person will be racist, but each one in its self doesn't make you racist. I believe everyone has at least some racist tendencies, but your choice to recognize or act on them is what makes the difference. I am 4 of the six things you mention, and nobody has accused me of being racist.
Racist

I agree with what is said.

Being white = racist
Being rich = racist
Being male = racist
Being a student = racist
Being American = racist

Racist
Partisan.

I take issue with the idea that a blue collar worker from Kansas and a Billionaire from Silicon Valley BOTH tend to choose sides against their best interests.

The billionaire from Silicon Valley is in a better position to think of others.....and is not as likely to buy into a line of horse shit aimed at stoking his fears as the blue collar worker from Kansas is.

Earmuffs, bitch.

Being white = racist
Being rich = racist
Being male = racist
Being a student = racist
Being American = racist

Racist
Partisan.
Pretty much.

What now? Can't help but be repulsed by the left. Kennedy democrats have all gone extinct

Being white = racist
Being rich = racist
Being male = racist
Being a student = racist
Being American = racist

Racist

And still, nobody has called me a racist. You aren't a person. You are just a caricature spouting right wing crap on the internet.

Let me know when being called a partisan forces people to go into apoplectic fits. You know.....like when someone is labeled a racist.

Let me know when being called a partisan forces people to go into apoplectic fits. You know.....like when someone is labeled a racist.
Partisan.

Being white = racist
Being rich = racist
Being male = racist
Being a student = racist
Being American = racist

Racist
Partisan.
Pretty much.

What now? Can't help but be repulsed by the left. Kennedy democrats have all gone extinct

I'm not a democrat.....but I identify strongly with Kennedy. I'd vote for the man....or his brother.....in a heartbeat.

Partisan.

Whatever. You are inspiring deep thoughts here. Keep going.

spot description of hard core believers from the right and left.

In truth, being a racist what makes you a racist.

I'm not a racist because I'm a strong defender of unions, or Social Security, or Medicare.

Forum List

Back