Pay it back

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Companies given equity injections by EU member states as a result of the coronavirus will not be allowed to pay out dividends, buy back shares or provide bonuses or similar remuneration, according to an official document seen by the Financial Times.

The terms and conditions emerged after the FT reported last week that the European Commission was exploring a further relaxation of the bloc's rules on state aid to help ailing companies as a result of the pandemic.

Bailed-out businesses are also forbidden to take “excessive risks” or even engage in “aggressive commercial expansion”, says a document setting out amendments to the recent relaxation of state aid rules.

They will not be able to buy up rivals or other operators in the same sector while still repaying the state, the document adds.

I think this is excellent thinking by the EU. Companies should not use public funds to pay fat cats bonus.

Companies given equity injections by EU member states as a result of the coronavirus will not be allowed to pay out dividends, buy back shares or provide bonuses or similar remuneration, according to an official document seen by the Financial Times.

The terms and conditions emerged after the FT reported last week that the European Commission was exploring a further relaxation of the bloc's rules on state aid to help ailing companies as a result of the pandemic.

Bailed-out businesses are also forbidden to take “excessive risks” or even engage in “aggressive commercial expansion”, says a document setting out amendments to the recent relaxation of state aid rules.

They will not be able to buy up rivals or other operators in the same sector while still repaying the state, the document adds.

I think this is excellent thinking by the EU. Companies should not use public funds to pay fat cats bonus.

I think that those stipulations are sort of stupid, particular if they aren't able to bail out others in their line of business.

A lot of independently owned restaurants and retail stores, and small chains of stores, aren't going to be able to make it through. There will be a real opportunity for Starbucks, for example, to pick up failing coffee carts and shops that weren't able to survive the Chinese Kung Flu

And ALWAYS snitch on your neighbors. Isn't that right, Tommy?

Supposedly it is to prevent hostile takeovers.

I understand that last time it happened the banks started business as usual before they had paid back the loans. The EU has strict rules on state aid. Help in a crisis is fine but it isn't a regular loan. The state is first in the queue when the good times roll again. When they have been repaid you can crack on with ordering the private jets.

I think that those stipulations are sort of stupid, particular if they aren't able to bail out others in their line of business.

A lot of independently owned restaurants and retail stores, and small chains of stores, aren't going to be able to make it through. There will be a real opportunity for Starbucks, for example, to pick up failing coffee carts and shops that weren't able to survive the Chinese Kung Flu
You want the tax payer to subsidise Starbucks takeover of rivals ? Is that the best use of public funds ?

It is incredible that this is a new concept. 2008 should have seen it.

You want the tax payer to subsidise Starbucks takeover of rivals ? Is that the best use of public funds ?

I'm talking about DISTRESSED rivals that are looking to close their doors entirely, and look to SBUX or other white knights to take over their locations and save the jobs. Why shouldn't the bailout of those employees, suppliers and customers be considered a public good.

Seizure (they call it "nationalization") is simply what's being done in Communist Europe. That it's going on in Britain, though it so delights our Tainted One, is sad to see. But once BREXIT is complete sanity will return. True, it will be painful for some and maybe some will die of frustration. Anyone see a downside?

I'm talking about DISTRESSED rivals that are looking to close their doors entirely, and look to SBUX or other white knights to take over their locations and save the jobs. Why shouldn't the bailout of those employees, suppliers and customers be considered a public good.
The government is already helping these small businesses.

I understand that last time it happened the banks started business as usual before they had paid back the loans. The EU has strict rules on state aid. Help in a crisis is fine but it isn't a regular loan. The state is first in the queue when the good times roll again. When they have been repaid you can crack on with ordering the private jets.

Depends on the time frame. Prohibiting expansion and acquisitions could make it harder for some enterprises to pay off those debts.

Depends on the time frame. Prohibiting expansion and acquisitions could make it harder for some enterprises to pay off those debts.
Then they should speak to their bankers.

I am sure that they do. And in many circumstances, getting bought out by a large corporation might still be the best way available to make good on the money they have borrowed and getting out of dodge.

No they should just terminate all their employees and sell off their asserts

I am sure that they do. And in many circumstances, getting bought out by a large corporation might still be the best way available to make good on the money they have borrowed and getting out of dodge.
They still have that option.

Forum List

Back