Peaceful protesters killed in Bahrain today

Bahrain crown prince calls for dialogue: TV

(Reuters) - Bahrain's crown prince, known as a reformer among royals in the Gulf Arab kingdom, called on Friday for calm, saying it was "time for dialogue, not fighting."

Thousands of mainly Shi'ite demonstrators, emboldened by uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia, have held protests in Bahrain since a "Day of Rage" on February 14 to demand more say in the Sunni-ruled island state.

"The dialogue is always open and the reforms continue," Crown Prince Sheikh Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa said on Bahrain TV. "This land is for all citizens of Bahrain ... All honest people at this time should say 'enough'."

"We need to call for self-restraint from all sides, the armed forces, security men and citizens," he said. "I urge you, there should be calm. Now is time for calm."

Bahraini troops shot at protesters near Pearl Square on Friday and wounded 23, a former Shi'ite lawmaker said. At least four Bahraini protestors were killed on Thursday when riot police drove activists from a makeshift camp in the capital.

King Sheikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa rules a population of 1.3 million, half of them expatriates. The U.S. State Department estimates that 70 percent of Bahraini nationals are Shi'ites.

"I respect Wefaq, as I respect others. Today is the time to sit down and hold a dialogue, not to fight," the crown prince said.

Wefaq, the main Shi'ite bloc with 17 of 40 assembly seats, competes with Sunni Islamist groups and the secular group Waad.

Bahrain crown prince calls for dialogue: TV | Reuters

us-protests-idUSTRE71F41K20110218

(Reuters) - Bahraini troops shot at demonstrators on Friday and wounded many, a former Shi'ite lawmaker said, as government crackdowns on protests in the Middle East and North Africa turned increasingly violent.

While millions of Egyptians celebrated their ouster of Hosni Mubarak after 30 years, protesters elsewhere, inspired by their success, were engaged in struggles against their own authoritarian rulers.

In Bahrain, troops shot at protesters near Pearl Square on Friday and wounded many, a former Shi'ite lawmaker said, a day after police forcibly cleared a protest camp from the traffic circle in Manama, killing 4 people and wounding more than 230.

At least two people were killed in Yemen when security forces and pro-government loyalists clashed with crowds demanding an end to President Ali Abdullah Saleh's 32-year rule.

And in Libya, soldiers were deployed in the streets of the country's second city Benghazi after thousands of people demonstrated overnight over the killing of what U.S.-based Human Rights Watch said were at least 24 protesters on Wednesday and Thursday.

The unrest in the region -- particularly worries about its possible impact on oil giant Saudi Arabia -- helped push Brent crude prices to a 28-month high of $104 a barrel on Thursday.

It was a factor in gold prices extending early gains to five-week highs. By Friday afternoon, Brent was just over $102 a barrel.

Bahraini troops open fire at protesters | Reuters

Warning - Disturbing Graphics

Last edited by a moderator:
Activist arrested at Clinton's speech

gholizadeh20110218025216000.jpg

An activist protesting a speech given by Hillary Clinton on internet freedom is thrown out and arrested at George Washington University in Washington DC.

The activist, 71-year-old Ray McGovern, who is a US Army veteran and former CIA analyst, was manhandled and removed by security officers after trying to draw attention with a poster, he said in an interview with Press TV.

The US secretary of state continued with her prepared remarks as McGovern was dragged away saying, "So this is America. This is America. Who are you?”

“There was no heckler. I was the person there. I said not a word. I stood silently with my back to the secretary, lest she get the idea that everyone in that whole auditorium agreed with her war mongering policies,” he stated on Press TV.

“I was standing silently, and I was jumped on by a man in a regular suit and then another person in a police uniform. I still don't know who jumped me, but I was taken outside where nobody was watching,” he continued.

“For Hillary Clinton to be talking about peaceful means of protest in the same speech which she continued as she watched me directly in front of her being pounced upon and violated, is a little too much to take,” he added.

McGovern is now being charged with unruly conduct, although he says he will fight the accusations in court.

Veterans for Peace has demanded an apology from Clinton for the incident. So far, they have received no response.

PressTV - Activist arrested at Clinton's speech

an example of the american democracy

Any country have rights to arm. The weapons bought to ensure safety to people not against them.

the sectarian war has always involved a third party other than sunnis and shia. the third party is anti-muslims like you who pretend they are a friend of a muslim group so they can turn this group against the other one.

You are correct Moonlite0220

The driving a wedge between Sunni and Shia muslims has been a colonial rule tactic for centuries. :evil:

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
the sectarian war has always involved a third party other than sunnis and shia. the third party is anti-muslims like you who pretend they are a friend of a muslim group so they can turn this group against the other one.

You are correct Moonlite0220

The driving a wedge between Sunni and Shia muslims has been a colonial rule tactic for centuries. :evil:

Liar. Stop manipulating an ignorant female for your own purposes, little man. You really are a nasty little shit, "Sunni".

Still laughing at your pathetic flaming though. There is no depth to which you will not sink to make Islam look bad, is there?

Forum List

Back