pharmacist have 1st Amendment right to refuse to dispense Plan B

If you need a prescription, doesn't that make it, by definition, no longer an OTC drug? :tongue:

The Federal Food and Drug Administration determines which drugs are to be regulated.

So no, they still are OTC drugs that certain states choose to regulate. In California, we have to show a drivers license (but not to VOTE) to buy cold medicine, but don't need a prescription.

Point one: not all OB/GYN's perform abortions. In fact, without doing the research, I am fairly certain the percentage of OB/GYN's who do perform abortions is extremely small. Planned Parenthood or Alan Guttmacher might have those numbers somewhere. Now, if President Obama signed an executive order tomorrow stating that all OB/GYN's must perform a minimum of 10 abortions a year would you then tell all practicing OB's that they must either perform those abortions or find another line of work?

Point two: it is sad to say, that you as an employee of the DMV would, I presume not knowing what the DMV requirements are, have the right to deny that person the extension of his license. I also would assume that the driver, your customer, would have both the right to appeal your decision AND the right to complain to your employer. If he chooses to complain and your action or a compilation of this and earlier actions are aggrevious enough, then the manager at the DMV would have every right to terminate you from your employment... oh wait! There is one small complication there and that is that as a government employee you would be a member of the union and they would probably demand you be given a commendation and a raise... go figure. Is that why government employees are held in such low esteem by others?

Immie
on the abortion front, i used the example of a mother's life being at risk because of the child. not your typical "i want to have an abortion." if an OB/GYN is part of that mothers care, she her personal morality rule over what is best for her patient? why should the patient not be the one to choose? i am simply showing the conflict that can arise in other situations should people be able to make decisions for other people.

as to your other comment, i am simply making a point that at what point does this stop. i could have used medicare or medicaid as an example instead of the DMW. a gate keeper is a gate keeper. what gives them the right to tell me what i can and can not do? is that not a violation of my personal freedom? they are not the drug manufacturer. why are they not protesting that company?

I appreciate your statements and the fact that you are willing to discuss this civilly. I would rep you for that except I repped you yesterday and can't do so until I spread some of that around.

I am not a doctor and don't know the answer to your first question. Geauxtohell is a poster on this site who is I believe a medical student. He is well informed on these issues and (well he is not perfect) he is pro-choice. :) I think he has participated in this discussion earlier so maybe he can answer that question.

From my perspective, in regards to the OB/GYN, I do not believe that the mother can force the doctor to perform the abortion or even force the doctor to recommend an abortion doctor. And in that light, if you were the mother and you had just forced a doctor by any means to perform an abortion against their will, would you really want them performing that duty on you?

In the case of the DMV worker, the fact that they are employed by the DMV and given the authority to issue or deny driver's licenses gives them that right. If you disagree with their decisions you have the right to appeal.

Taking that to the idea of the pharmacists, the fact that an employee of the pharmacy is given the authority to act as the business representative of the owner of the pharmacy gives them the right not to serve you as their customer. If you don't like their decision you have the right to take your business elsewhere and/or to complain to their boss who then has the right to decide whether or not they will continue to represent the pharmacy.

Immie

The overwhelming majority of ODs don't do abortions. Legally, no OB can be forced to participate in an abortion. I am not sure about referrals. Furthermore, residents can't be forced to participate in abortions as a residency requirement for full licensure.

I am fine with the pharmacist law as long as businesses also have a choice in hiring these individuals on the grounds that they might refuse to distribute this medication.

Hope that answers the question. Please redirect if it doesn't.

By not filling a legal prescription. IMO, if they can't do that, they need to find other employment.

Pharmacists shouldn't be thought police.

Plan B isn't a prescription item. The entire OP is disingenuous.

The word prescription does not appear in the OP, how is it disingenuous?

By the way, you need a prescription if you are under 18.

The word "pharmacist" entails one who takes a script and fills it. Anyone who works in a pharmacy can sell the Plan B without getting the Pharmacist to sign off on the sale or "dispense" as it was put in the OP. One doesn't "dispense" a non prescription item any more than one "dispenses" a stick of gum. It was a silly attempt to whip up a frenzy of malarkey that doesn't stand the most frivlous examination of the facts at hand.

A Pharmacy Tech, a sales clerk, the store manager at Wal*Mart, etc... can all sell Plan B to anyone who is actually 17 and above:
Head to Your Pharmacy

If you're 17 or older, Plan B One-Step® is available without a prescription. Just ask for
Plan B One-Step® at the pharmacy counter. If you're under 17, you'll need a prescription.

Plan B One-Step® Consumer: Where to get Plan B One-Step®

The word "pharmacist" entails one who takes a script and fills it. Anyone who works in a pharmacy can sell the Plan B without getting the Pharmacist to sign off on the sale or "dispense" as it was put in the OP. One doesn't "dispense" a non prescription item any more than one "dispenses" a stick of gum. It was a silly attempt to whip up a frenzy of malarkey that doesn't stand the most frivlous examination of the facts at hand.

A Pharmacy Tech, a sales clerk, the store manager at Wal*Mart, etc... can all sell Plan B to anyone who is actually 17 and above:
Head to Your Pharmacy

If you're 17 or older, Plan B One-Step® is available without a prescription. Just ask for
Plan B One-Step® at the pharmacy counter. If you're under 17, you'll need a prescription.

Excellent point that should have been made clear throughout this thread.

It doesn't solve the issue that we have been discussing though. That being should the government be able to force a pharmacy (or any business for that matter) to carry a product is does not want to carry.

I and others contend that the government does not have that right. We have some opponents who contend otherwise.

Obviously the government thinks it has the right to make us do whatever it wants us to do! That is why this country is headed down the crapper.

Immie

on the abortion front, i used the example of a mother's life being at risk because of the child. not your typical "i want to have an abortion." if an OB/GYN is part of that mothers care, she her personal morality rule over what is best for her patient? why should the patient not be the one to choose? i am simply showing the conflict that can arise in other situations should people be able to make decisions for other people.

as to your other comment, i am simply making a point that at what point does this stop. i could have used medicare or medicaid as an example instead of the DMW. a gate keeper is a gate keeper. what gives them the right to tell me what i can and can not do? is that not a violation of my personal freedom? they are not the drug manufacturer. why are they not protesting that company?

I appreciate your statements and the fact that you are willing to discuss this civilly. I would rep you for that except I repped you yesterday and can't do so until I spread some of that around.

I am not a doctor and don't know the answer to your first question. Geauxtohell is a poster on this site who is I believe a medical student. He is well informed on these issues and (well he is not perfect) he is pro-choice. :) I think he has participated in this discussion earlier so maybe he can answer that question.

From my perspective, in regards to the OB/GYN, I do not believe that the mother can force the doctor to perform the abortion or even force the doctor to recommend an abortion doctor. And in that light, if you were the mother and you had just forced a doctor by any means to perform an abortion against their will, would you really want them performing that duty on you?

In the case of the DMV worker, the fact that they are employed by the DMV and given the authority to issue or deny driver's licenses gives them that right. If you disagree with their decisions you have the right to appeal.

Taking that to the idea of the pharmacists, the fact that an employee of the pharmacy is given the authority to act as the business representative of the owner of the pharmacy gives them the right not to serve you as their customer. If you don't like their decision you have the right to take your business elsewhere and/or to complain to their boss who then has the right to decide whether or not they will continue to represent the pharmacy.

Immie

The overwhelming majority of ODs don't do abortions. Legally, no OB can be forced to participate in an abortion. I am not sure about referrals. Furthermore, residents can't be forced to participate in abortions as a residency requirement for full licensure.

I am fine with the pharmacist law as long as businesses also have a choice in hiring these individuals on the grounds that they might refuse to distribute this medication.

Hope that answers the question. Please redirect if it doesn't.

Works for me.

Head to Your Pharmacy

Talk to Washington, not me. They probably require pharmacy counters to be manned by pharmacists.

Head to Your Pharmacy

It doesn't solve the issue that we have been discussing though. That being should the government be able to force a pharmacy (or any business for that matter) to carry a product is does not want to carry.

I and others contend that the government does not have that right. We have some opponents who contend otherwise.

Obviously the government thinks it has the right to make us do whatever it wants us to do! That is why this country is headed down the crapper.

Immie

I'm not sure the Government is even stating that all pharmacies have to carry all forms of birth control. I know that in our central supply, we have seven different types of contraceptive pills alone. This is over and above a bevy of devices, IUDs, hormonal implants. However, no regulation is making us carry, for example, Ortho Evra, Nordette, Ortho Cept, etc....

So I'm not sure what regulations you're speaking of. Additionally, the pharmacy to which I purchase most of my drugs favors one mfg of analgesic over the other. Nobody is making her (my compounding pharmacist) carry Tylenol instead.

Hmmm

Head to Your Pharmacy

Talk to Washington, not me. They probably require pharmacy counters to be manned by pharmacists.

Are you that ignorant of who is ringing you up? Pharmacist rarely ring anyone up at the counter. Hence the pharmacy technicians.

The OP is disingenuous. Ignorance is no excuse.

Immie

I'm not sure the Government is even stating that all pharmacies have to carry all forms of birth control. I know that in our central supply, we have seven different types of contraceptive pills alone. This is over and above a bevy of devices, IUDs, hormonal implants. However, no regulation is making us carry, for example, Ortho Evra, Nordette, Ortho Cept, etc....

So I'm not sure what regulations you're speaking of. Additionally, the pharmacy to which I purchase most of my drugs favors one mfg of analgesic over the other. Nobody is making her (my compounding pharmacist) carry Tylenol instead.

Hmmm

Washington state says that pharmacists and pharmacies have to be willing to dispense all legal drugs. They allow all sorts of exceptions as to which drugs are actually dispensed, mostly because it would be impossible to build a store that actually stocks every available medication, unless the reason you refuse to carry the particular drug is religious. that is discrimination.

Are you that ignorant of who is ringing you up? Pharmacist rarely ring anyone up at the counter. Hence the pharmacy technicians.

The law in Washington requires a pharmacist to dispense Plan B, hence the suit filed by a pharmacist that objected to dispensing it. If you do not like the law in Washington complain to them, not me, I did not have anything to do with it.

You would actually know this if you read the link I provided, and the actual decision. Like you said, ignorance is no excuse.

Last edited:
Great idea my mailman is already talking of not delivering mail to people he does not approve. Teachers refuse to teach children they know come from-well you know-those kind of people. And what of lifeguards? Some airline pilots are looking at the decision carefully. But even better checkers in super marts, boy this is going to be great.

Great idea my mailman is already talking of not delivering mail to people he does not approve. Teachers refuse to teach children they know come from-well you know-those kind of people. And what of lifeguards? Some airline pilots are looking at the decision carefully. But even better checkers in super marts, boy this is going to be great.

And if we were talking about the pharmacist refusing to dispense drugs to some people while dispensing them to others, this would be relevant. But for some completely unfathomable reason - unless it's just that all you leftists are fucking MORONS - you and your comrades can't seem to get it into your rock-solid pinheads that no one is refusing to serve "people he does not approve"[sic]. There is absolutely nothing about any of this that has fuck-all to do with discriminating against any people whatsoever.

Tell me if I need to borrow my toddler's Crayolas and draw you a fucking picture here, mouthbreather, because I'm getting tired of saying this repeatedly, only to have one of you dullards drone on about how some unnamed group of people is being discriminated against.

Honestly, do you not occasionally get tired of looking like such a complete and utter ignoramus in public? How do you manage to wipe your own ass with so little brain wattage to work with?

Immie

Hmmm

Not sure where you live and how much of the thread you have read.

This law was passed in the State of Washington. It seems representatives of the state believe that they can force pharmacies to distribute Plan B Emergency "Contraceptive". A couple of pharmacists said they did not want to participate in dispensing what they believed was an abortificant. The state said, "how dare you defy our order?". It went to court. The pharmacists lost and appealed and recently one the appeal based on religious grounds.

Now, that is the simple play by play. I'm sure it is more complicated than that, but MY SIDE IS RIGHT AND THEIR SIDE IS WRONG. ;) So don't listen to anything they say. :lol:

Immie

Last edited:

The law in Washington requires a pharmacist to dispense Plan B, hence the suit filed by a pharmacist that objected to dispensing it. If you do not like the law in Washington complain to them, not me, I did not have anything to do with it.

You would actually know this if you read the link I provided, and the actual decision. Like you said, ignorance is no excuse.

As for a registered pharmacist having to staff a counter...that was your brain fart; not mine. Again, it's not dispensed. Perhaps you mean "order" for a patient if they request it. It's only an Rx for a kid under 17.

pharmacists actually do ring up a lot of the customers. just ask the ones who work at the 24 hr locations.

pharmacists actually do ring up a lot of the customers. just ask the ones who work at the 24 hr locations.

Yes, but I don't think they are usually alone even at 3am. So, if the product is available at the store, then someone besides the pharmacist (or the person that objects to the product) could in fact ring up the sale.

That doesn't mean though that I have changed my position. A person who objects to the product should not be forced to dispense it and the pharmacy that objects to it should not be required to carry it.

Immie

Its about 50-50 at my local Krogers pharmacy. At another, you can always consult with the pharmacist.

Forum List

Back