🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Philippines Celebrate Good Friday

Carl in Michigan

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
I guess Christ's sacrifice wasn't good enough

wire-396863-1492164418-311_634x411.jpg

Whipping their backs to a bloody state and nailing themselves to crosses, devotees in the fervently Catholic Philippines marked Good Friday with extreme acts of faith that have become tourist attractions.

In towns north of Manila at least five people were nailed to crosses, while in an island to the south hundreds of residents dressed up as Roman centurions as part of decades-old traditions in the Southeast Asian nation.

These customs flourish, although they are not officially endorsed by church leadership.

Extreme religious acts mark Good Friday in the Philippines | Daily Mail Online

My niece is in Italy this week, they are pretty engaged as well.

As a girl I lived a couple of years in the mountains above Santa Fe. There is a community called Cuba that had some pretty intense religious reenactments as well.

I guess Christ's sacrifice wasn't good enough

wire-396863-1492164418-311_634x411.jpg

Whipping their backs to a bloody state and nailing themselves to crosses, devotees in the fervently Catholic Philippines marked Good Friday with extreme acts of faith that have become tourist attractions.

In towns north of Manila at least five people were nailed to crosses, while in an island to the south hundreds of residents dressed up as Roman centurions as part of decades-old traditions in the Southeast Asian nation.

These customs flourish, although they are not officially endorsed by church leadership.

Extreme religious acts mark Good Friday in the Philippines | Daily Mail Online

Gotta love the level of commitment.

I love traditional celebrations and ceremonies. I hate that America has become a place that discourages and sneers at such things.

I love traditional celebrations and ceremonies. I hate that America has become a place that discourages and sneers at such things.
Do you think God approved of this? This nonsense is the sort of things I hate about Catholicism.

Have you seen Ashura? It's bloodier than this and even demands that the children are bloodied.

Nope. God asks very little of Man. What He does ask, Man does the opposite.

Virtually everything done in the Catholic Church had been borrowed from Babylon. They practice "Christianized " Paganism.

Cutting yourself and abusing your own body is strictly forbidden by God. Yet some claim they do it FOR God.

Jesus says, "In vain do they worship me teaching as commandment the traditions of men."

Have you seen Ashura? It's bloodier than this and even demands that the children are bloodied.
Yes. It's what this reminds me of. True Christians don't follow these pagan practices. This is what the devil requires of his followers (and I'm being serious about that).

Do you think God approved of this? This nonsense is the sort of things I hate about Catholicism.

Who are you to judge other people's devotion to God?

As long as they are only harming themselves and not others, like some do, I am totally OK with it.

Yes. It's what this reminds me of. True Christians don't follow these pagan practices. This is what the devil requires of his followers (and I'm being serious about that).
You seem so sure that the Devil is behind this; it is impossible, in your opinion, that these are people comitted to God but who come from a different tradition of beliefs?

Yes, I am sure that you are very serious. You obviously know the only one and true way, and any that don't agree with you are the followers of the devil, and God requires us to do something about them. And that 'something' is almost always pretty bloody.

Yes, I am sure that you are very serious. You obviously know the only one and true way, and any that don't agree with you are the followers of the devil, and God requires us to do something about them. And that 'something' is almost always pretty bloody.
To obey is better than sacrifice -- God to Samuel

Forum List

Back