Philistines are NOT Arab Palestinians (as falsely advertised):

Roudy -

As soon as you have gotten tired spamming the thread to cover up your mistakes, I'll go back to it and discuss the issue with some of the stronger posters.

Roudy -

As soon as you have gotten tired spamming the thread to cover up your mistakes, I'll go back to it and discuss the issue with some of the stronger posters. It's an interesting topic, though it does require some honesty.

Roudy -

As soon as you have gotten tired spamming the thread to cover up your mistakes, I'll go back to it and discuss the issue with some of the stronger posters. It's an interesting topic, though it does require some honesty.

Saigon----you have not refuted roudy-----you simply traced the WORD palestine
back to a greek Historian ----who described a land ----that had some greek
inhabitants -----2500 years ago according to THOSE particular inhabitants based
on the INTENSE ETHNOCENTRICITY of greeks ----at that time. Read Plato
to get an idea as to just how INTENSELY ethnocentric were the greeks

Why are you so intent on revealing the fact that you are an idiot and that you
are THAT deficient in the general information that even I (basically a simple biology
major) picked up in high school.

you ---like all islamo nazi propagandaists PLAY WITH SEMANTICS

et al,

I'm confused again. The claim that many pro-Palestinians have made is that the Palestinian was in the land before the Israelis. That places them there about 3000+ years ago.

So if I choose to believe that, who does that make them?

Help me out here.

Most Respectfully,
R

Phillistines existed concurrently with ancient Israel. They likely lived in the area roughly where Lebanon is today.

They were historically the enemies of the Isralites.

They were NOT Semites like the Arabs and the Jews.

Palestine was the name given to that area by the Romans.

Palestine MAY be a Roman perversion of the name Phillistine.

Does that clear it up for you?

Editec -

That's a good overview. It is difficult to follow this, and especially as some sources seem to use the terms 'Philistine' and 'Palestine' interchangeably.

But Philistines were sea people, probably travelling from Crete, settling largely on the coast.

Palestinians have stronger links with the Canaanites and Arab traders crossing the lands between Egypt and Syria, and thus often inland, around Jericho and Jerusalem, but also extending to the coast in some towns.

There is no question that there is some Philistine blood in today's modern Palestinians, but probably not as much as there is from Canaanite and other Arab peoples.

The only reason anyone disputes this at all is because some extremists want you to believe that Palestinians have no connection to anyone or anything prior to 1948, when apparently they were grown in a test tube somewhere.

In reality, genetic testing traces Palestinian genes back at least 3,000 years, and probably much further, though the further we go back the cloudier it all gets, of course.

Philisitines are not Arabs.

Thought that was the topic?
sCo_blink.gif

What's red herring?
sCo_idk4.gif

Ah, sorry - it's an idiom.

It is something that does not exist, but is used to get people's attention - like a diversion. It comes from a Sherlock Holmes book.

Like in this case - noone had claimed that Philstines WERE Arabs - Roudy simply made the whole thing up.

Oh,ok I get it.

But if this fact IS true, and we know it is, then why did they foreign occupiers of this land, in last century called if "Probinica Falestina"? to specify, why did the Arabs "adopted" this self definition in the first place?

Lipush -

We could as well ask Why Germans are called Germans, Italians Italians or even more so, Sierra Leonians Sierra Leonians. I suspect random luck played a role - I suspect also that the name Palestine was simply understood at home and abroad. I doubt history would be much different if they had go with Canaan or South Syria myself.

Roudy -

As soon as you have gotten tired spamming the thread to cover up your mistakes, I'll go back to it and discuss the issue with some of the stronger posters.
The one things you're stronger in, is lying and WHINNG.

Now, go ahead and show me how ARAB Palestinians go back 3000 years to the stone ages, and can trce their roots in towns like Ashdod and Eshkelon. all the links you provided me before related the PHILISTINES, not the Arab Palestinians.

Let's go, one two three, ehad shtayim shalosh (Hebrew), wahid thnen tlathee (Arabic), yek do seh (Farsi), une duex trois (French). Drum roll please:

Roudy -

I am now posting this for the fifth time:

Most ancient recorded inhabitants of Palestine are named
Canaanites (3rd millennium BC or more ancient). They
became urbanized and lived in city-states, one of which
was Jericho. Palestine’s location at the center of routes
linking three continents made it the meeting place for
religious and cultural influences from Egypt, Syria,
Mesopotamia, and Anatolia. During the second
millennium BC, Egyptian hegemony and Canaanite
autonomy were constantly challenged by such ethnically
diverse invaders as the Amorites, Hittites, and Hurrians
from Anatolia and the East. These invaders, however,
were defeated by the Egyptians and absorbed by the
Canaanites, who at that time may have numbered about

http://www.stml.net/text/Populations.pdf

Lipush -

We could as well ask Why Germans are called Germans, Italians Italians or even more so, Sierra Leonians Sierra Leonians. I suspect random luck played a role - I suspect also that the name Palestine was simply understood at home and abroad. I doubt history would be much different if they had go with Canaan or South Syria myself.

No, what I meant is, that now the conflict at hand is called the "Israeli-Palestinian conflict", right?

The Israelis are the Jews living in Israel, the Palestinians are the Arabs inside and outside of Israel involved in this conflict.

You never see a Jew calling himself a "Palestinian" like Arabs inside Israel calling themselves "Israelis".

Which is funny, you know why? Because my grandmother, like her father, was born in Israel, BEFORE 1948, and her ID says "Palestinian".

By THAT logic, my mather is also a "Palestinian".

if you go way back, you'll discover that many Jews living in Israel today should be considered PALESTINIANS.

And since the "source" intended on the name "Palestine" is Philisitine, that makes many people something they're actually NOT.

Isn't that amusing?:eusa_whistle:

Lipush -

It is amazing, I agree. But it's also so sad that the labels have become so important.

I think some of us tend to forget that life was much simpler back in 1920, and people didn't always care so much what they were called. At least, not in the Palestine of 1920.

It would be nice to be able to return to that....

Sad that it became importand? No, I believe it's a matter of being truthful, and when saying that "Israelis occupied Palestinian lands", how truthful is that when thousands of Israel have the same right of PALESTINIANS on this land.

And since Palestinians are the ONLY ethnic group on EARTH that KEEPS its "fugetivity" no matter the circumstances, and inherites the "refugee" tag to people who've never even BEEN in the MidEast, all while Israelis born and being raised in Israel and still considered "illegal occupiers", then YES, it IS very important.

Lipush -

It is amazing, I agree. But it's also so sad that the labels have become so important.

I think some of us tend to forget that life was much simpler back in 1920, and people didn't always care so much what they were called. At least, not in the Palestine of 1920.

It would be nice to be able to return to that....

In the years of 1920 Jews in Israel were themselves not certain of their future. Many of us would not have wanted to go back to that time.

Sad that it became importand? No, I believe it's a matter of being truthful, and when saying that "Israelis occupied Palestinian lands", how truthful is that when thousands of Israel have the same right of PALESTINIANS on this land.

And since Palestinians are the ONLY ethnic group on EARTH that KEEPS its "fugetivity" no matter the circumstances, and inherites the "refugee" tag to people who've never even BEEN in the MidEast, all while Israelis born and being raised in Israel and still considered "illegal occupiers", then YES, it IS very important.

I agree with your first statement - although as you know, it varies city to city. Some cities (Nablus, Akko, Ramallah) have never had major Jewish populations. Others (Tzfat, Qiryat Shemonah, Eilat) haave never had major Palestinian populations.

Your second statement is not entirely true. I can think of a half dozen cases where more than one million refugees wait to return to a homeland many have never seen - Tibetans (in India), Tutsis (DR Congo), NKH Azeris (Azerbaijan), Chechens (Russia) and Liberians (Ghana) all face not entirely dissimilar fates to the Palestinians.

Forum List

Back