Picky Eaters?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Although I'm a little bit of a picky eater myself, I'm talking about people (mostly children) who don't really eat much of anything. Anybody know anybody like that? What would you do if you had a child that absolutely refused to eat? I personally believe there's a fine line between making children eat what they don't like, or becoming like their waiter at a restaurant, or them refusing to eat anything.

If they're little, we don't force it.

If they're teens, we encourage them to eat it.

Works for us.

We leave onions out of the food cause one hates onions and that seems a simple enough concession.

Yep. My mother ALWAYS cooked foods that nauseated me and my sister.....and she did it on purpose. She was a nasty bitch from hell. We didn't care. Bed was a lot better than having to eat the garbage she made.

Yeah, but I'm guessing that you probably snuck out in the middle of the night to make your own food then anyways lol

Yeah, but I'm guessing that you probably snuck out in the middle of the night to make your own food then anyways lol

No, there was very little she bought that we would eat.
Aside from that, she kept a VERY TIGHT count of EVERY crumb of food in the house. She knew if we ate anything outside of her eating schedule. My sister always got away with it, but I always got smacked, punched, or beat for it.

No, there was very little she bought that we would eat.
Aside from that, she kept a VERY TIGHT count of EVERY crumb of food in the house. She knew if we ate anything outside of her eating schedule. My sister always got away with it, but I always got smacked, punched, or beat for it.

So then, how did you survive without starving to death?

So then, how did you survive without starving to death?

Well as I stated, my sister didn't get in trouble for eating when she wasn't supposed to. She was blonde and cute. So she got away with anything.

I hit 6'-4" when I was in 5th grade, and I was a bean pole. We had some decent foods sometimes, but our mother was a hypochondriac narcissist. I did what I could to get money.........collect stuff I could trade for food with other kids on the block, mow yards for money, which allowed me to go to the convenience stores for munchies.

Me and my sister turned into human pigs when we went to relatives houses though......especially our grandma. She would stock us up with grocery bags of food to take back home......she knew what was going on.

Back then, my sister was more of an eater than I was. I could go 2-3 days without eating anything and it didn't bother me. My sister on the other hand.........oink oink!!

Now that we are older, it's the opposite. I'm the little glutton, and she's obsessed with being skinny.

You've got to be careful about picky eaters when they are kids. If you drive the issue to hard, you can really destroy the way they see food. It did me. When I got out on my own, all I ate was pizza, chips, soda, bagels, cereal, mac and cheese, and cake. All the things I was denied growing up. Really fucked up my metabolism.

My sister, as I stated, has become obsessed with being skinny. She even had liposuction a few years ago, and she really didn't have any fat on her to begin with. She will pig out for a few weeks, then she will literally starve herself for a couple of months and exercise without keeping anything in her stomach.

Me and my sister turned into human pigs when we went to relatives houses though......especially our grandma. She would stock us up with grocery bags of food to take back home......she knew what was going on.

Whenever I went to my grandparents' house to spend the night they would spoil me rotten! My Pawpaw anyways. Well, Grandma would let me eat a whole entire bag of cookies, but one time Pawpaw let me have ice cream for lunch since there was an ice cream shop right a crossed the street. Grandma went out shopping and found the empty containers in the trashcan because we weren't smart enough to eat our ice cream there and dispose of the evidence in their trashcans. :rolleyes:

We were poor. Our choices were not between tenderloin and pizza. The was food on the table. If it was still there next meal, it was still there.

Well I guess when you don't have much,.. you take whatever you can get.

Yep. My mother ALWAYS cooked foods that nauseated me and my sister.....and she did it on purpose. She was a nasty bitch from hell. We didn't care. Bed was a lot better than having to eat the garbage she made.
Was your dad any better where cooking was concerned?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Am I a picky eater? I am 50/50 in that area. I will try things that I have never had before, but it does take me a while due to things that I have tried in the past that I thought were awful.

I'm sorry your dietary life was such crap. We hated a lot of what mom cooked but only because it was monotonous. It was cheap so she cooked it a lot. In my adult life, I learned to cook many of the same dishes and I love them.

I have dealt with a couple of autistic children both verbal and non verbal.

One of the nonverbal children became very interested in food someone else was eating. Now he ate fruits and vegetables but no meat. So a plate would be made for the child but you had to pretend it was for yourself. He would make his way over to you and then slyly reach for it.

Another one is older and verbal and so we trade off things to try.

There are some cookbooks out specializing in how to hide vegetables.

My son used to cry when I cooked. I made him try it. Now he will try anything. I shoot him a text and ask if he has ever tried something and, if he says no, then I ask if he wants to. Usually his response is yes.

Last edited:
If you didn't eat your dinner, you went straight to bed.......no tv, no reading, no nothing.
Straight to bed.

The last time my Mother forced me to eat green beans we were at my Aunt and Uncles lake house on Lake Okanagan,I guess I was around 7 or 8,
I promptly threw up on the dinner table with everyone seated.
That was the last time she made me eat green beans.

Although I'm a little bit of a picky eater myself, I'm talking about people (mostly children) who don't really eat much of anything. Anybody know anybody like that? What would you do if you had a child that absolutely refused to eat? I personally believe there's a fine line between making children eat what they don't like, or becoming like their waiter at a restaurant, or them refusing to eat anything.
Yep, I maintain a strict see food diet. I see food and eat it.

When my son was little, he refused to eat anything except Gerber spaghetti. When I say anything, I mean literally anything. When we took him to the doctor, the doctor asked if he was ever sick? We told him "No". He said, "Well he looks healthy enough. Height and weight are good". He told us to feed him what he likes, as he will grow out of it. We did and he grew out of it. when he was in the Army, he would trade out the MREs that no one else wanted. Now he cooks for his family almost exclusively even though his wife is also an outstanding cook herself. He can grill steak better than any I have ever had elsewhere.

Forum List

Back