Plot Thickens- Vladimir Putin ‘wants to regain Finland’ for Russia, adviser says

The former advisor hasn't been an advisor since 2005 and lives in Washington DC, working for the libertarian Cato Institute.

He has personal knowledge of Putin's intentions based on what? This sounds like a little bit of fake propaganda.

Be prepared to wade in and out of endless propaganda of the misinformation and disinformation sort from multiple sides and sources as the crisis in eastern Europe turns more and more into a political contest and "war" of economic futures.

It's time to arm the crap out of the Finns.

The Finns aren't to be messed with.

They have an amazing border force, well-armed, and their troops know the woodlands like the back of their hands. The Russians would have to expend their Spetnatz types with no guarantee of victory.

And there will absolutely be any type of "referendum" indicating Finns will EVER want to have "close ties" with Russia! :mad:

We are waiting for goforit to get over there and straighten Putin out.

Are you on the way? Signed up yet? Volunteered for service? Completing boot camp. Wtf are you doing about this travesty. Except bitching on a message board.

In case you missed it, I don't give a flying fuck what Putin is doing. When we decided to invade and destroy Iraq without cause, we gave up ALL credibility to bitch at other countries for their aggressive actions. Suck it up and live with it. It's what the rest of the world had to do for us. Including Russia.

Your outlook is twisted.

And I bet you are twisted enough that you supported the without cause invasion of Iraq?
Would that be a fair statement?

Or would it be better to say that you supported the war in Iraq.

Because we here in the great freedom loving country of America would never invade and destroy a country that didn't attack us.

But we did it anyway. That is what was "twisted".

Goforit, when do you complete basic training?

Oh good Lord!! Here we go with the "Blame Bush" crap again. Don't you and yours ever give it up?

They have an amazing border force, well-armed, and their troops know the woodlands like the back of their hands. The Russians would have to expend their Spetnatz types with no guarantee of victory.

And there will absolutely be any type of "referendum" indicating Finns will EVER want to have "close ties" with Russia! :mad:

Nor is there any indication that Russia wants any part of Finland.

Are you on the way? Signed up yet? Volunteered for service? Completing boot camp. Wtf are you doing about this travesty. Except bitching on a message board.

In case you missed it, I don't give a flying fuck what Putin is doing. When we decided to invade and destroy Iraq without cause, we gave up ALL credibility to bitch at other countries for their aggressive actions. Suck it up and live with it. It's what the rest of the world had to do for us. Including Russia.
oh, that's right, Iraq had not tried to have our President assassinated, nor did he steal from the oil for food program, nor did he ever shoot at our planes in the no fly zone, nor did he also break UN sanctions, nor did Clinton sign the Iraq Liberation Act. which said he had to go.

And again, I answered your question as to what would have to be done at this point. And yes, at this point our options are limited which means we had best complete a detailed risk analysis. If the cost is high, we may very well need to pay a high price

There are consequences for every decision we make in life. The key is to minimize the negative consequences of those decisions, and look to exploit the positives at all cost.

-Geaux

I actually pointed out the best possible scenario to your "solution". The worst outcome, and a reasonably likely one, would be the end of all life on the planet. Russia still maintains a large enough nuclear arsenal to destroy the planet. A shooting war could spiral out of control very quickly, especially if there are a large amount of deaths.

Not sure how you are factoring this in your "risk analysis".

Russia is a VERY dangerous country.

Meh, the risk analysis is likely moot at this point indeed, but we need to understand we screwed it up previously somehow. I guess my point is the decision on what to do now is much, much harder since we took the easiest path of resistance earlier.

Eventually, the piper must be paid.

Off to the salt mines

Aloha,
Geaux

Yes, we screwed up mightily. We set a precedent that Putin is following. And now we must deal with that precedent.

Options

World War 3

Sanctions and support, militarily and economically of the nations like Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, and Poland.

Both options are costly, the first would cost everything, perhaps even the extinction of our species. The second, at a time when we are recovering from the economic disaster of the prior President, is also unpalatable. Just a lot less so than the first.

oh, that's right, Iraq had not tried to have our President assassinated, nor did he steal from the oil for food program, nor did he ever shoot at our planes in the no fly zone, nor did he also break UN sanctions, nor did Clinton sign the Iraq Liberation Act. which said he had to go.

Iraq was a toothless lion when we invaded. Trillions of dollars wasted, and over 4000 of our sons and daughters sacrificed for no gain whatsoever. No WMD, and not a threat to us in any way. Read the original PNAC documents at Wikipeidia. Invading Iraq was purely a act of empire building on our part. And now Putin is doing some of the same.

Finland will lose ?sovereignty? if joins NATO - Putin ? RT Russian politics
Did you think he would reclaim part of Crimea 2 years ago? And who really knows, here is an article from 2012

Nor is there any indication that Russia wants any part of Finland.

Ukraine and Finland are not members of NATO. Military options have to be approved by other members of NATO. USA and NATO have no ethical or moral obligations to commit military assets for the protection of Ukraine or Finland. Puten knows that. Dumb ass USA weakeners blame Obama for making USA weak because of his response. They highlight our weak position for selfish promotion of hatred for the current President. USA does not have right to commit troops which in turn would obligate other NATO nations to commit troops. We have treaty obligations and that includes being a team player with other NATO countries.

Read the Budapest Memorandom. Russia has nuclear weapons. Even more than the Us as of 2005. Do I want to see us get involved with ground troops? No. Do I want to see us honor the memorandum? Yes. Do I think it wouldn't take but a threat of a show of force for Russia to back down? Probably.
Ukraine and Finland are not members of NATO. Military options have to be approved by other members of NATO. USA and NATO have no ethical or moral obligations to commit military assets for the protection of Ukraine or Finland. Puten knows that. Dumb ass USA weakeners blame Obama for making USA weak because of his response. They highlight our weak position for selfish promotion of hatred for the current President. USA does not have right to commit troops which in turn would obligate other NATO nations to commit troops. We have treaty obligations and that includes being a team player with other NATO countries.

We should get Finland to adopt out Muslim terrorist and allow them to do their dirty work in northern Russia....

Hell, Ukraine even shipped their nuclear weapons upon the agreement for dismantling, to Russia, yet now they sit-defenseless, being threatened by the very one they had to trust to dispose of their weapons. And Russia still has thei r nuclear weapons.

I wonder, would Russia have dared make this move if Ukraine were still in possession of their nuclear weapons.

What a tangled web, one I suspect Putin planned long ago...

So Russia brings Ukraine the Chernobyl disaster in 86, then they gain their independence from Russia in 9 1, then agree to get rid of their own weapons in 94, amid promises from others, give them up to who brought them Chernobyl, then are invaded by that very same source 2014, who still has their own weapons. Wow.

Forum List

Back