Plot Thickens- Vladimir Putin ‘wants to regain Finland’ for Russia, adviser says

http://rt.com/politics/putin-finland-nato-missiles-509/

Saying that Finland will surrender its right to act independently in the event it joins the western military alliance, Putin added that Moscow will respond to deployment of any NATO attack missiles based in the Nordic country."The involvement of any country in a military bloc deprives it of a certain degree of sovereignty, and some decisions are made at a different level,"*the Russian president said at a meeting on Friday with Finnish President Sauli Niinisto.He compared the situation with what has transpired in the bureaucratic realm concerning Finland’s visa regime."The same has occurred over the question of visas, where part of Finland's sovereignty is handed over to the European Union,”*the Russian leader noted.Putin then discussed the threat of Finland militarizing itself under NATO supervision, warning that if*“the deployment of attack missiles is approved, Russia will take retaliatory measures.”

For Immediate Release****************** * * * * * * * * * * * ** September 17, 2009REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENTON STRENGTHENING MISSILE DEFENSE IN EUROPEDiplomatic Reception Room10:21 A.M. EDTTHE PRESIDENT:* Good morning.* As Commander-in-Chief, I'm committed to doing everything in my power to advance our national security.* And that includes strengthening our defenses against any and all threats to our people, our troops, and our friends and allies around the world.One of those threats is the danger posed by ballistic missiles.* As I said during the campaign, President Bush was right that Iran's ballistic missile program poses a significant threat.* And that's why I'm committed to deploying strong missile defense systems which are adaptable to the threats of the 21st century.
Realities of certain others attempting to & acquiring them.- along with their delivery systems. Maybe I should have made it simpler for you.

Sorry, I don't understand your word(s) code yet. Who are "certain others"? Are there some countries in Europe that are just now getting access to long range missiles?

When did Iran move to Europe?

For Immediate Release****************** * * * * * * * * * * * ** September 17, 2009REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENTON STRENGTHENING MISSILE DEFENSE IN EUROPEDiplomatic Reception Room10:21 A.M. EDTTHE PRESIDENT:* Good morning.* As Commander-in-Chief, I'm committed to doing everything in my power to advance our national security.* And that includes strengthening our defenses against any and all threats to our people, our troops, and our friends and allies around the world.One of those threats is the danger posed by ballistic missiles.* As I said during the campaign, President Bush was right that Iran's ballistic missile program poses a significant threat.* And that's why I'm committed to deploying strong missile defense systems which are adaptable to the threats of the 21st century.
Sorry, I don't understand your word(s) code yet. Who are "certain others"? Are there some countries in Europe that are just now getting access to long range missiles?

When did Iran move to Europe?
We were limited, period, by that treaty,not just with Russia. I guess you find fault with Obama and his statements?

Does anyone really think a Russian spy ship showed up in Cuba 2 days before they invaded Crimea was a coincidence in timing?

Last edited:
"Honor" what?

There's no obligation in the memorandum to do anything.

The WHOLE DOCUMENT is based on the HONOR SYSTEM.

There's no teeth to it.

And that's another fine mess Bush got us into when he unilaterally pulled out of the ABM treaty! THAT really pissed off Russia.

:mad:

So allow ourselves to be vulnerable to the new realities of long range missiles?

Wait, what?

First you are going on about a "memorandum" and then you make an excuse for breaking a bonafided, real live, agreed to treaty.

Man.

Pick a position.
Get your facts straight. We didn'tbreak that treaty. It expired and we chose, in our best interests, not to renew it.
Secondly, we convinced, Clinton's administrstion that is, Ukraine to give up their nuclear weapons for peaceful purposes, but agreed that if their sovereignity was threatened, we would back them up. How did Obama fulfill that promise? By supplying them with mre's.

By the way, still no condemnation for Obama agreeing with Bush's non renewal?

Both Nordic nations may bolster defence spending and forge a closer military partnership between themselves as they face Russia across the Baltic and along Finland's long land border.So far neither has risked finding out what Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev meant when he said last year that Finnish or Swedish NATO membership would force Moscow to "respond".
Http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA301AD20140401?irpc=932

from the article -

NATO would not tolerate a Russian invasion of Finland. Finland is too important economically.

Putin is blowing smoke

Not to mention: "Finland is not a NATO country, so it doesn't get full-fledged NATO protection, but the EU does have a number of treaties and agreements in place that all-but-guarantee a massive military response should Russia begin amassing more military units on the Finnish border.

"It might not be a NATO member, but it is in the European Union and you can bet that if Russia were to start invading members of the EU, the EU would have something to say about it,"

Here's the alliance though:

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/topics_49217.htm

Last edited:
NATO would not tolerate a Russian invasion of Finland. Finland is too important economically.

Putin is blowing smoke

Not to mention: "Finland is not a NATO country, so it doesn't get full-fledged NATO protection, but the EU does have a number of treaties and agreements in place that all-but-guarantee a massive military response should Russia begin amassing more military units on the Finnish border.

"It might not be a NATO member, but it is in the European Union and you can bet that if Russia were to start invading members of the EU, the EU would have something to say about it,"

Sort of like we promised to protect Ukraine's sovereignty?

Putin is blowing smoke

Is Ukraine a member of the EU or NATO?

Ukraine?European Union relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Ukraine a member of the EU or NATO?

Ukraine?European Union relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Neither one at the moment, and there's some concern about right-wing nationalist movements putting an end to the EU

"The issue of rightist nationalism as a threat to European Union and the peace of the new Europe have preoccupied Europeans since 1945, when the predecessors of the EU—West European Union and then the Coal and Steel Community—were created to assure that Nazism or some totalitarian counterpart would not again rise in Europe."

William Pfaff: Ukraine Debacle Threatens Europe?s Union - Truthdig

Wait, this myth made it to this message board? So embarrassing.

Not especially but posters actually believing it should be more than a little embarrassing for them.
The stupidity of some posters is amazing.
They believe any old bullshit without a thought, because they want it to be true. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back