Police need "more training"?? Let's compare and discuss.

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
ChrisL said cops need more training. Provided 1970s era stats and not much more. But many cop haters say this and offer no details. So....let's discuss. Cops needing "more training". Most PDs have post-acadmey field training programs. CALEA recommends 14 weeks. It varies by department and there are thousands. So....let's talk basic training. 50 state standards. I'll discuss a few at a time.

I live in SC. Wasn't a cop here. But know many. They have a central state academy in Columbia. Paramilitary format. Stay in bunks overnight. March and run in formation. Classes and drills all day. Shooting. Driving. Fighting. Scenarios. Laws. All the standard.

It's 13 weeks long. 14 weeks of field training follows.

Longer than all 5 branches of the military boot camps except the Marines (USMC is equal at 13).

And it's among the shortest in America.

North Carolina requires double that. 26 weeks.

Mine in Georgia was 18 weeks.

NY is Iike 6 months.

California? I've heard it's 12 months.

I think "more training" is out the window.

Higher standards? Well....that's racist. So let's lower them and stop discussing standards.

Of course you would think that. How else are you supposed to discuss the subject without banning other peoples solutions?

I'm not banning it. See the title....it says "discuss". My opinion is that cops have plenty of training. Hell....basic training in most states is longer than all 5 military boot camps. And....statistically...incidents of cops killing someone are very very tiny percentages of overall work. Extremely rare. So the training obviously has reduced the inevitable incidents to being very uncommon events.

So....what training needs to be added or changed? Volume of training is obviously not a problem. And statistics show how rare an unjustified killing is.....and that the crime rates in America have DROPPED significantly over the last 40 years.

So to me...it seems the proper response is....job well done fellas. Carry on.

ChrisL said cops need more training. Provided 1970s era stats and not much more. But many cop haters say this and offer no details. So....let's discuss. Cops needing "more training". Most PDs have post-acadmey field training programs. CALEA recommends 14 weeks. It varies by department and there are thousands. So....let's talk basic training. 50 state standards. I'll discuss a few at a time.

I live in SC. Wasn't a cop here. But know many. They have a central state academy in Columbia. Paramilitary format. Stay in bunks overnight. March and run in formation. Classes and drills all day. Shooting. Driving. Fighting. Scenarios. Laws. All the standard.

Longer than all 5 branches of the military boot camps except the Marines (USMC is equal at 13).

NY is Iike 6 months.

Higher standards? Well....that's racist. So let's lower them and stop discussing standards.

There is a state investigative agency, where I am from. No academy required to be an investigator. They prefer a college degree

I have argued a few times that they need certified.

They need training and/or certification in - Lethal Force, Search & Seizure, Laws and powers of arrest, Constitutional Law, Emergency Vehicle Driving, Firearms Certification, State Criminal Code, Court Room Procedure, Interviewing Witnesses & Suspects, handcuffing suspect(s), Baton Training and certification.....and a long list of others.

I would get some arguments against my belief.

If anything, they need their own training and certification course. I don't beleive that they need domestic violence training - how to investigate a burglary - and some other stuff that is not related to their investigatie work, but the State Academy has the "Basic "course for City Officers - Park Police Officers- Deputys - Game Wardens. I would believe that it is called the "Basic" course for a reason.

But they can get hired....... and become an "uncertified" investigator - with full arrest power ; which I disagree with.

If you drive a "Cruiser" and carry a "Gun", then you need to be "Certified".

Current "Certified Officers" - City Cops - Deputys - Park Police Officers.... and such, have about 50 hours of inservice once a year ; that they attend.

Shadow 355

NY is Iike 6 months.

It's really very simple. Cops need to be held to the same standards as everyone else, period. Our judicial system needs to treat cops, and all members of law enforcement, the same as they treat John Q. Public. Cops need to be sent to prison for murder, rape, theft, molestation, brutality and unwarranted assault, and other crimes that they arrest everyone else for.

Until cops are made to realize that crime doesn't pay, and are held to the same standards as everyone else, no amount of training will solve the problems within law enforcement. If our judicial system continues to give members of law enforcement a free pass in court, a cop could go through two years of training and still be what they are today, which is low-life pieces of shit. We need to see more cops arrested, tried, and sentenced to prison time. By doing so, cops will behave in the same manner as cops expect everyone else to behave.

Without the judicial system actually practicing true justice for all, cops will remain hated, disrespected, and doing what they do every single day in this country.

NY is Iike 6 months.

It's really very simple. Cops need to be held to the same standards as everyone else, period. Our judicial system needs to treat cops, and all members of law enforcement, the same as they treat John Q. Public. Cops need to be sent to prison for murder, rape, theft, molestation, brutality and unwarranted assault, and other crimes that they arrest everyone else for.

Until cops are made to realize that crime doesn't pay, and are held to the same standards as everyone else, no amount of training will solve the problems within law enforcement. If our judicial system continues to give members of law enforcement a free pass in court, a cop could go through two years of training and still be what they are today, which is low-life pieces of shit. We need to see more cops arrested, tried, and sentenced to prison time. By doing so, cops will behave in the same manner as cops expect everyone else to behave.

Without the judicial system actually practicing true justice for all, cops will remain hated, disrespected, and doing what they do every single day in this country.

Um....they are.

NY is Iike 6 months.

There is a state investigative agency, where I am from. No academy required to be an investigator. They prefer a college degree

I have argued a few times that they need certified.

They need training and/or certification in - Lethal Force, Search & Seizure, Laws and powers of arrest, Constitutional Law, Emergency Vehicle Driving, Firearms Certification, State Criminal Code, Court Room Procedure, Interviewing Witnesses & Suspects, handcuffing suspect(s), Baton Training and certification.....and a long list of others.

I would get some arguments against my belief.

If anything, they need their own training and certification course. I don't beleive that they need domestic violence training - how to investigate a burglary - and some other stuff that is not related to their investigatie work, but the State Academy has the "Basic "course for City Officers - Park Police Officers- Deputys - Game Wardens. I would believe that it is called the "Basic" course for a reason.

But they can get hired....... and become an "uncertified" investigator - with full arrest power ; which I disagree with.

If you drive a "Cruiser" and carry a "Gun", then you need to be "Certified".

Current "Certified Officers" - City Cops - Deputys - Park Police Officers.... and such, have about 50 hours of inservice once a year ; that they attend.

Shadow 355

Hmmm. Sounds shady. Yes...if they carry a gun and have arrest powers...need to go to academy.

Here in SC....Everyone has to.

Police must become extremely proficient in hand to hand combat and must be capable of defending themselves without resorting to their firearm every time they feel the slightest bit intimidated. Police should be badasses without their weapons.

There should be extremely rigorous fitness standards, and they should be tested quarterly to ascertain whether or not their health and fitness is up to par. They should be extremely athletic, and proficient in sprinting as well as endurance and distance running. They should be stronger than average in the important compound exercises at the gym (squats, bench, etc)

There should be genetic standards as well. No tiny cops on the street who can be easily overpowered. Cops should be tall and built, with good eyesight. Cops should not be pussies.

Cops should have college degrees with excellent GPAs, and should be payed well for it.

Last edited:
All that really needs to be said is, police do not have protect individuals.
Fuck the rhetoric and ignorance.
When police hesitate, they end up dead. Just like any survival situation.

Cops need to be demanded to score 4.0 GPA in at least "cop academy". "Sufficiently passing" is not enough for how much power they think they have.

NY is Iike 6 months.

I know 2 white cops from SC. They're both shitheads. I could easily see them being in the news one of these day for doing something stupid.

Police must become extremely proficient in hand to hand combat and must be capable of defending themselves without resorting to their firearm every time they feel the slightest bit intimidated. Police should be badasses without their weapons.

There should be extremely rigorous fitness standards, and they should be tested quarterly to ascertain whether or not their health and fitness is up to par. They should be extremely athletic, and proficient in sprinting as well as endurance and distance running. They should be stronger than average in the important compound exercises at the gym (squats, bench, etc)

There should be genetic standards as well. No tiny cops on the street who can be easily overpowered. Cops should be tall and built, with good eyesight. Cops should not be pussies.

Cops should have college degrees with excellent GPAs, and should be payed well for it.

Wow. Never thought I'd agree with you on anything.

But yes. You're 100% right.

That said...installing those standards would result is mass cries of racism and militarization by liberals. So they'd bitch about getting what they wanted....just like they are now that they've gotten watered down, kinder, gentler (more scared) police (who panic under stress).

NY is Iike 6 months.

I know 2 white cops from SC. They're both shitheads. I could easily see them being in the news one of these day for doing something stupid.

I'm sure you do.

I know 4,000,000 people in Virginia. They're all shit heads too.

training on how to deescalate a situation instead of escalate a situation needs more emphasis in training, and why they should never kill anyone who is unarmed and not trying to kill them or with no real means to kill them....

Police Training Academy | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

Texas^. 32 weeks. Intense.

I can already predict liberals responses.

In some states, you cannot take your Peace Officer certification and go to work in another state. In some states, after attending a short academy - shortened training cycle ; you can get certified.

Prior Law Enforcement and Prior Military Law Enforcement should be able to take a "Short Course" if they have been certified / practiced law in the past three years......but that is my opinion.

The Physical Training, Weapons, Baton, Handcuffing, Felony traffic Stops, Search and Seizure, Search a person, Miranda vs Arizone, and other backgrounds.....they already have. No sense in repeating it. If anything, let them test out of the classes they deem necessary. Give them the the short - 6 or 8 week course and then turn them over to their respective agency.

Example 1 - A person retires from New York State Police at the age of 45. He and his family move to Pennsylvania ; where he is hired as a Deputy Sheriff. He just spent the past 22 years as a New York State Trooper - the past 5 year as a regional supervisor ( Senior Sergeant / First Sergeant ) and for 4 years prior to that he was a Detachment supervisor ( Sergeant ). Send him to the Academy for the State Criminal Code - State Domestic Violence laws and PA specific statutes.....then send him to his agency. Putting him through the academy all over again, is a waste of his time and Sheriff Department Monies.

Example 2 - A female leaves a City Police Department in Minnesota after six years, her husband gets a job in South Dakota - making double what he was making in Minnesota. Her and her husband pick up the two kids and move ; him making now a six figure salary.

Female officer was a certified officer, with no disciplinary action in her file when she left. A model Police Officer - she arrives in South Dakota and applies for a job with the Sheriffs Department where they moved to. She should be able... again-----take the classes in the State Specific Laws and Policies and move on. If any questions arise about certain techniques - Felony Arrest & Stop, handcuffing multiple suspects, Pat down of a suspect...ect - She should be tested out, or shown how that department wants a specific tasks done.

No sense in doing the same thing twice in my opinion - but that is just my opinion. Again, I am famous for getting arguments.

Shadow 355

NY is Iike 6 months.

I'm sure you do.

I know 4,000,000 people in Virginia. They're all shit heads too.
They're actually the only 2 cops I've ever known. One is a former marine. And they are both absolute shitheads.

By the way asking to raise the standards is not racist. But your comment about the standards, most certainly is racist.

Police Training Academy | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

Texas^. 32 weeks. Intense.

I can already predict liberals responses.
4 months. It takes people 6 times that long to get a damn associates degree from the local community college.

Which is why most reputable police departments prefer recruits to have a 2 or 4 year degree already (except ones who eliminated that requirement to boost diversity).

Army and Marine and Air Force and Navy boot camp is less time than an Associates Degree too. What's your point?

Forum List

Back