Police State: 22-Year-Old Dies After Jail Guards Ignore Dairy Allergy...

Ah, the issue is about marijuana possession rather than lactose intolerance. No wonder the "libertards" are outraged. How much dairy products do guards force feed inmates in jails? Drink your coffee black if you can't get the proper creamer.

Ah, the issue is about marijuana possession rather than lactose intolerance. No wonder the "libertards" are outraged. How much dairy products do guards force feed inmates in jails? Drink your coffee black if you can't get the proper creamer.

You have little knowledge about the specifics of this man's medical condition so why don't you stop embarrassing yourself by projecting to the world how proudly ignorant you are and shut the fuck up.

You have little knowledge about the specifics of this man's medical condition so why don't you stop embarrassing yourself by projecting to the world how proudly ignorant you are and shut the fuck up.

True. At the point he used his inhaler and it didn't work, it was then a medical emergency. A food ALLERGY is not a food INTOLERANCE. Intolerance will give you diarrhea. A allergy will kill you. Case in point.

Things like this are more common than you think. There was a doctor fired from one of the prisons I worked who refused to see a patient and he died. It was the second time. I had an encounter with her when I saw a patient who told me he thought an abdominal surgical wound was infected. I looked at it, and green pus was oozing out of it. I sent him across the hall to her. She did nothing for the man, then she came across the hall and reamed me out for sending him to her. She demanded that I remove my note from the chart, but I refused. She went completely ballistic. I called my supervising MD and he said, 'just keep doing what you are doing.' The next morning when I came in the social worker who helped me with clinic told me the man had died during the night. A couple months later she refused to see another one and the nurses strongly advised her to see the man. Here response without having seen him, 'he's faking.' The nurses got in gear and got her fired.

This is unacceptable. It doesn't matter what the person's crime is. That doesn't even figure into the picture. Medical care in jails and prison by law is supposed to meet the community standard. Guards and officers are supposed to be trained to identify a medical emergency. The fact that the person cannot go for help on his own is an exacerbating factor in an incident like this.
Everything you've described here, along with every other problem I've read and heard about in the contemporary American prison system, seems to be a direct or indirect result of overcrowded conditions.

MSNBC has been running a continuing reality series on weekends called, Lockup. Each episode of this series is filmed in a different state prison. In every example I've watched the staff seems clearly overwhelmed by the sheer number of inmates they are required to supervise and control. It also appears to me that most if not all of the places which are called prisons, or "correctional facliities," are functioning mainly as de facto mental institutions where America's violent crazies are confined.

These overcrowded conditions probably are the result of three separate circumstances:

1) Ronald Reagan's closing of federally subsidized mental hospitals.

2) The redundant effects of the wholly counterproductive drug war.

3) Unrestrained expansion of the Prison Industrial Complex, which in fact is the only remaining American growth industry.

What are your thoughts about that?

Things like this are more common than you think. There was a doctor fired from one of the prisons I worked who refused to see a patient and he died. It was the second time. I had an encounter with her when I saw a patient who told me he thought an abdominal surgical wound was infected. I looked at it, and green pus was oozing out of it. I sent him across the hall to her. She did nothing for the man, then she came across the hall and reamed me out for sending him to her. She demanded that I remove my note from the chart, but I refused. She went completely ballistic. I called my supervising MD and he said, 'just keep doing what you are doing.' The next morning when I came in the social worker who helped me with clinic told me the man had died during the night. A couple months later she refused to see another one and the nurses strongly advised her to see the man. Here response without having seen him, 'he's faking.' The nurses got in gear and got her fired.

This is unacceptable. It doesn't matter what the person's crime is. That doesn't even figure into the picture. Medical care in jails and prison by law is supposed to meet the community standard. Guards and officers are supposed to be trained to identify a medical emergency. The fact that the person cannot go for help on his own is an exacerbating factor in an incident like this.
Everything you've described here, along with every other problem I've read and heard about in the contemporary American prison system, seems to be a direct or indirect result of overcrowded conditions.

MSNBC has been running a continuing reality series on weekends called, Lockup. Each episode of this series is filmed in a different state prison. In every example I've watched the staff seems clearly overwhelmed by the sheer number of inmates they are required to supervise and control. It also appears to me that most if not all of the places which are called prisons, or "correctional facliities," are functioning mainly as de facto mental institutions where America's violent crazies are confined.

These overcrowded conditions probably are the result of three separate circumstances:

1) Ronald Reagan's closing of federally subsidized mental hospitals.

2) The redundant effects of the wholly counterproductive drug war.

3) Unrestrained expansion of the Prison Industrial Complex, which in fact is the only remaining American growth industry.

What are your thoughts about that?

The prisons I worked in were not overcrowded. I spoke of a doctor and not the conditions. I had to go to all the units at one time or another, they were clean and not crowded. I have worked in mental hospitals, none were EVER federally subsidized. The laws changed when the new medications with fewer side effects came on the scene, and when that happened patients were willing to take the medicine and became able to live on their own. Having a mental illness does not make you a criminal. I have seen the effects of substance use. I am in favor of incarcerating people who traffic drugs. They are killing our young people and personally I would rather see them shot, but I know that won't happen any time soon. I have no idea what you are talking about in number 3. As long as the population expands crime will expand as well, and there will have to be more ways of dealing with criminals. There are more people in prison because of ever increasing crime and gang activity, as well as DUI laws that now have teeth.

[...]

I have worked in mental hospitals, none were EVER federally subsidized.

[...]
I will defer to your experience and accept that I've relied on exaggeration of the facts. Apparently I misunderstood what I've read and heard concerning the effect of the Reagan Presidency on the problem of mental illness. E.g.:

(Excerpt)

Under President Ronald Reagan, the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act repeals Carter's community health legislation and establishes block grants for the states, ending the federal government's role in providing services to the mentally ill. Federal mental-health spending decreases by 30 percent.

TIMELINE: Deinstitutionalization And Its Consequences | Mother Jones

(Close)

[...]

The prisons I worked in were not overcrowded.[...]
Apparently you worked in a uniquely different part of the Nation. Because it is widely known that the overall American prison system is dangerously overcrowded.

(Excerpt)

Holder wants to find solutions to the country's overburdened jails and high recidivism rates. The nation spent $80 billion on prisons in 2010, and yet federal facilities are still overflowing at 40 percent above capacity, Holder said.

Attorney General Eric Holder looks for answers on overcrowded prisons | timesfreepress.com

(Close)

[...]

I have no idea what you are talking about in number 3. As long as the population expands crime will expand as well, and there will have to be more ways of dealing with criminals. There are more people in prison because of ever increasing crime and gang activity, as well as DUI laws that now have teeth.
(Excerpt)

The Prison-Industrial Complex

Correctional officials see danger in prison overcrowding. Others see opportunity. The nearly two million Americans behind bars—the majority of them nonviolent offenders—mean jobs for depressed regions and windfalls for profiteers

The Prison-Industrial Complex - Eric Schlosser - The Atlantic

(Close)

I think you'll find the above linked article both interesting and informative.

[...]

I have seen the effects of substance use.
That statement invites the question, what substance(s) are you are talking about? And please describe the effect in each specific example.

I am in favor of incarcerating people who traffic drugs.
(Excerpt)

Here we are, four decades after Richard Nixon declared the war on drugs in 1971 and $1 trillion spent since then. What do we have to show for it?

The U.S. has the largest prison population in the world, with about 2.3 million behind bars. More than half a million of those people are incarcerated for a drug law violation. What a waste of young lives.

War on drugs a trillion-dollar failure - CNN.com

(Close)

I respectfully suggest that you are in favor of a policy and practice which after more than four decades of exhaustive effort has proven to be not only ineffective but wholly counterproductive. The bottom line fact is recreational drugs are more available today than they were when the drug war fiasco was initiated.

Don't you think it's time to try a different approach?

Forum List

Back