🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Police State: Man Detained For Walking With Hands In Pockets...

If we were all really being honest, we would have to say this man's very fortunate to still be alive. No cameras, and this dude is dead meat. At the very least, he would have likely spent his Thanksgiving Holiday in a jail cell.

Once again -- you keep drawing on " woulda shoulda coulda" speculation fallacy... and then you keep getting called on it... and then you keep going right back to it expecting different results.

CountedCounts_thumb.jpg

Hate to break it to you but your melodrama script simply didn't happen here. The cop was cool. Isn't that what we want, cops to be cool?

You don't have to make this shit up out of nothing. There are plenty of cases made out of actual something.

Was it an affluent neighborhood, with one of the residents calling-in, on someone who just didn't look like they belonged there (shabby clothing, whatever)?

Was he black, wandering a white neighborhood?

Was he white, wandering a black neighborhood?

Was he orbiting a block or stopping frequently or shuffling-along so slowly as to make people think that he was casing the joint?

Did the neighborhood have a recent history of problems (break-ins, assaults, etc.)?

Was he behaving strangely in some way?

There had to be something more than simple walking-by-with-hands-in-pockets to make 99 people out of 100 want to call 911.

Did he have the misfortune to draw the 1-in-100 nut-job and neighborhood paranoid as the 911 caller?

I'm having difficulty trying to glean more detail - the video simply wasn't enough.

I'd like to see the whole incident. I wouldnt be surprised if they guy was acting intentionally suspicious and then "scored" when someone called cops on him. But who knows from the video?
That had occurred to me as well but, like you, I don't want to automatically jump to such conclusions, without learning more of the story.

There's some important piece(s) of information missing in all of this, methinks.

If we were all really being honest, we would have to say this man's very fortunate to still be alive. No cameras, and this dude is dead meat. At the very least, he would have likely spent his Thanksgiving Holiday in a jail cell.

Once again -- you keep drawing on " woulda shoulda coulda" speculation fallacy... and then you keep getting called on it... and then you keep going right back to it expecting different results.

Hate to break it to you but your melodrama script simply didn't happen here. The cop was cool. Isn't that what we want, cops to be cool?

You don't have to make this shit up out of nothing. There are plenty of cases made out of actual something.

No cameras, and i truly believe the outcome would have been quite different. But hey, that is just my opinion. Your word against an army of Cops' word, ain't gonna cut it. You lose, they win. So good on this man for having his camera rolling.

Oh please! Enough of this shit!

Most live in such comfy denial when it comes to the Police. This officer could have done anything and gotten away with it. That is the reality. The camera leveled the playing field a bit. This Citizen lived to tell the story.

Exactly how pathetic is an OP's premise when it's got me and Meathaed actually agreeing with each other?

Most live in such comfy denial when it comes to the Police. This officer could have done anything and gotten away with it. That is the reality. The camera leveled the playing field a bit. This Citizen lived to tell the story.
You'll have to understand if we're not all going to pile onto you little fantasy world where any cop can kill at will without sanction.

Dispatcher that sent that cop on the call should be fired.

What for?
For not ascertaining more information in regards to why an officer needed to respond to the call. If there was not more reason other than a man walking down the street with his hands in his pocket the dispatcher should have told the caller the importance of a 911 call, the cost and risk of responding and making an officer unavailable for answering serious calls while responding to a call about a man with his hands in his pockets.
Somebody with dispatching experience can shore-up my pitiful understanding of what they do, but, I am guessing that dispatchers are trained to send respondents to all but the most glaringly obvious false or inappropriate alarms, so that dispatchers will - by training and by policy - err on the side of caution, and almost (or even) always send a warm body to the scene, and let the person(s) on the scene make any further judgment calls about appropriateness - but that's purely a common-sense guess on my part - and I could be wrong.

Was it an affluent neighborhood, with one of the residents calling-in, on someone who just didn't look like they belonged there (shabby clothing, whatever)?

Was he orbiting a block or stopping frequently or shuffling-along so slowly as to make people think that he was casing the joint?

Did the neighborhood have a recent history of problems (break-ins, assaults, etc.)?

There had to be something more than simple walking-by-with-hands-in-pockets to make 99 people out of 100 want to call 911.

Did he have the misfortune to draw the 1-in-100 nut-job and neighborhood paranoid as the 911 caller?

I'm having difficulty trying to glean more detail - the video simply wasn't enough.

Well, at least you're contemplating various angles. I gotta give you props for that. Too often, most just immediately side with the Police without contemplating anything. It's 'Guilty till proven Innocent' for far too many Americans these days. The Nation has lost its way.

Exactly how pathetic is an OP's premise when it's got me and Meathaed actually agreeing with each other?
Stop it, guys... you're scaring the kiddies.

No cameras, and i truly believe the outcome would have been quite different. But hey, that is just my opinion. Your word against an army of Cops' word, ain't gonna cut it. You lose, they win. So good on this man for having his camera rolling.

And QED, right back to it again.

What part of Speculation Fallacy continues to sail over your head here?

:dig:

Well, at least you're contemplating various angles. I gotta give you props for that. Too often, most just immediately side with the Police without contemplating anything. It's 'Guilty till proven Innocent' for far too many Americans these days. The Nation has lost its way.

"Guilty until proven innocent" describes your whole thrust here. None so blind.

You'll have to understand if we're not all going to pile onto you little fantasy world where any cop can kill at will without sanction.

No one can stop a Cop from making anything up. However, that problem has been alleviated somewhat with dashcams being required on traffic stops. But more has to be done.

Let's face it, this Cop could have claimed this man did anything. And he would have had an army of fellow Cops to back his story up. So recording incidents seems to be the best way to go when interacting with the Police.

..."Guilty until proven innocent" describes your whole thrust here. None so blind.
Oh, nonsense.

I merely played Devil's Advocate, asking whether the 'suspect' had managed to legitimately draw suspicion upon himself, sufficient to warrant a challenge and questioning, and listing a number of ways in which that commonly happens - ways which have held steady for most of the past century or so of police-neighborhood interactions.

Most or all of which have been and/or continue to be viewed as kosher.

You mistake legitimate and earnest questions regarding the "suspect's" behavior in the run-up to the 911 call and the encounter, for something darker and more biased.

Your assessment was in error.

And QED, right back to it again.

What part of Speculation Fallacy continues to sail over your head here?

:dig:

It isn't 'fallacy', it's reality. The fallacy is living by the false premise that Cops never lie and always do the right thing. What's to stop a Cop from making anything up? He has a hoard of fellow Cops to back the stories up. What do you the lone Citizen have?

No one can stop a Cop from making anything up. However, that problem has been alleviated somewhat with dashcams being required on traffic stops. But more has to be done.

Let's face it, this Cop could have claimed this man did anything. And he would have had an army of fellow Cops to back his story up. So recording incidents seems to be the best way to go when interacting with the Police.
Yes. The Cop could have claimed anything, without the camera.

Yes. The Cop could have conducted himself without a camera in exactly the same way that the Cop conducted himself with the camera.

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. We'll never know. We also do not know the nature and quality of the officer in question. Perhaps he's a genuine nice guy and good fellow. I dunno.

..."Guilty until proven innocent" describes your whole thrust here. None so blind.
Oh, nonsense.

I merely played Devil's Advocate, asking whether the 'suspect' had managed to legitimately draw suspicion upon himself, sufficient to warrant a challenge and questioning, and listing a number of ways in which that commonly happens - ways which have held steady for most of the past century or so of police-neighborhood interactions.

You mistake legitimate and earnest questions regarding the "suspect's" behavior in the run-up to the 911 call and the encounter, for something darker and more biased.

That was addressed to the OP, not to you. Which would have been obvious if you hadn't stripped his quote out.
I see that now.

My mistake.

Sorry.

"Guilty until proven innocent" describes your whole thrust here. None so blind.

No, you and too many others live by the premise 'Gulity till proven Innocent.' And that's not what our Nation is about. The Nation has lost its way. Things are upside down.

Those angles have been contemplated since this apology for a story began. You've been ignoring them.

Oh, nonsense.

That was addressed to the OP, not to you. Which would have been obvious if you hadn't stripped his quote out.
I see that now.

My mistake.

Sorry.

:beer:

Propose co-delete. I'll go first.

Yes. The Cop could have claimed anything, without the camera.

Yes. The Cop could have conducted himself without a camera in exactly the same way that the Cop conducted himself with the camera.

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. We'll never know. We also do not know the nature and quality of the officer in question. Perhaps he's a genuine nice guy and good fellow. I dunno.

Hopefully, the days of 'your word against an army of Cops' word' is now passing. Recording the interactions between Citizens and Police seems to balance things properly. Because like i said, nothing can stop the Police from making anything up.

This man could have easily been shot and killed. And almost no one would have questioned it. In fact, the Big Brother-Worshippers would have screeched 'GOOD! He deserved it. He had to have done something wrong. Because the Police never lie and always do the right thing.' So good on him. He was prepared. It may have even saved his life.

Forum List

Back